deacon

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
agyaby,
y is there always a deacon next to ubouna who stands next to him when he gives communion?  why does he hold two candles? what is the sinificance?  it is also the deacon who stands opposite ubouna and responds after him  at the end of the mass right?

+mahraeel+

Comments

• [quote author=mahraeel link=topic=7316.msg96940#msg96940 date=1226357488]
    agyaby,
    y is there always a deacon next to ubouna who stands next to him when he gives communion?  why does he hold two candles? what is the sinificance?  it is also the deacon who stands opposite ubouna and responds after him  at the end of the mass right?

+mahraeel+

there is one deacon who does. with Body and Blood (after they have been reveled). next to the body, deacon stand with cross and candle with a lefafa connecting them until they go back on the altar.

deacons are conformed into angels.

deacons use look at the Body and Blood and watch carefully for any Jewels fall of the body or any drops from the blood. An extra eye other then abouna who is busy giving the blood. also don't forget, in the old church there was no huge chandlers with enough lights to light up the whole church like now...
  • To add to what mina said, the deacon holds that lefafa in that way because it represents the Seraphim and cherubim who cover their eyes from the Glory of God.
  • thanks
    y r there two candles though?

and does it have to be the same deacon who responds after ubouna  at the end of teh mass?

+mahraeel+
  • Its a candle in the left hand and a cross in the right, i'll get back to you on the reason for that. And yes, the person who responds to abouna's confession with the confession of the deacon has to be the one to stand by him the whole time
  • oh my bad its a candle and a cross thanks!

[quote author=jydeacon link=topic=7316.msg96971#msg96971 date=1226375949]
    Its a candle in the left hand and a cross in the right, i'll get back to you on the reason for that. And yes, the person who responds to abouna's confession with the confession of the deacon has to be the one to stand by him the whole time

okay i will be waiting for your answerr

and okay cause i always saw the same deacon so i wanted to know if there was a rule about that :D ;D ;)

+mahraeel+
  • Ok so I went and looked up the rites for the liturgy from HG Bishop Mettaous and found why the deacon holds the cross and a candle:

" the cross and the candle refer to Christ who endured the suffering of the cross and sacrificed Himself to give eternal life to the world like a candle which burns itself to give light to the people. Likewise, Christ had fractioned his body and shed his blood on the cross to give light to those wh live in darkness and the shadow of death and to bring them out into the brightness of his kingdom."
  • thanks jydeacon!

+mahraeel+
  • I always be serving in the alter and it represents the two angels at the resurrection of our lord.  Anyways, one deacon holds for the flesh and one for the blood. 
  • [quote author=Godislove_ link=topic=7316.msg97195#msg97195 date=1226625790]
    I always be serving in the alter and it represents the two angels at the resurrection of our lord.  Anyways, one deacon holds for the flesh and one for the blood.   

Those are the candles on the alter, not in the deacons hands..
  • Ok then sorry for my mistake.....
    the candle at the alter shows the two angels at the resurrection of jesus christ
  • lol thanks

+mahraeel+
  • i dont know about you guys but i have about 4 priest and sometimes we will have one giving the Blood and 2 for the Body(because one is sick, and very tired). So, the deacon that said the confession for the priest that says the confession follows him, and then we would have 2 other deacons from the alter follow the other 2 abounas with candles only....
  • so its 3 different deacons?

+mahraeel+
  • Lets just say this, where ever the body or blood is, so there should be a deacon with a candle too
  • [quote author=mahraeel link=topic=7316.msg98270#msg98270 date=1229143786]
    so its 3 different deacons?

+mahraeel+

just think of it this way...

who ever says the confession follows the priest that said the conffesion, Or, which ever deacon says the confession follows the priest with the first plate/dish/ what ever you call it. then the other deacons (if there are more priest) follow them with a candle only. They are supposed to watch abouna give the blood or body, and try to see if anything falls, misses, etc...
  • were do the other deacons come from.  they just follow ubouna.  like who ever wants to?

+mahraeel+
  • Whoever is serving inside or whoever an older deacon assigns to do it.
  • ohh okaay  thx

+mahraeel+
  • this is also might help your quiery
    from the book 'how to benefit from the holy liturgy' page 123 and 124
    by bishiop Mettaous
    the cross held by the deacon with his right hand, is the sign of the son of man. Jesus christ was crucified on the cross for our salvation,
    The illuminated candel held in his left hand symbolises the life of sacrafice that the lord jesus lived for us, this sacrifice is manifested in tears that  he wept for us and the sweat that came forth from his body for us, and the blood that is shed on the Cross, dripping until it covered His Holy Body. The lord Jesus, the lover of mankind sacraficed his tears sweat and blood for us.
    The candle that illuminates and burns and melts drips of hot wax, reminding us of the lord Jesus who wept for us, and sweated drops of sweat, that were like hot drops of blood.
    The veil held by the Deacon between his hands, he lifts and places it in front of his eyes because the glory of Christ that dwells upon the altar, and he canot face the splendor of this glory, so he covers eyes like the Seraphim who cover thier faces with their wings because of the splendor of the Glory of God, Which is invisible and un speakable....

I hope this will help !!!

• thankss

+mahraeel+