Getting angry

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
Hey guys,
OK..... here is my problem....
I am a very nice person, sweet, I smile to make someone smile! I care about people's feelings! I like to be fair... !
but i have been experencing things that just simple make me angry!!! small things big things.... I GET ANGRY!! when I get angry I CURSE!! I get in a bad mood, i don't smile, i put on a straight face on.... I hurt other people's feelings! I'd be not soo good to get a long with! And i don't appriciate people who don't tip after getting a great service.... I get angry, I curse at them inside my head....!! and if it wouldn't be my job at the line... i would have told them exactly what i think about them! I would tell them you might as well take that whole whopping dollar and ************ **** *****!!
I HATE IT WHEN I GET ANGRY! BECAUSE I DON'T ENJOY MY TIME! AND I LOVE TO SMILE!!

HELP PLEASE.... i was neve like that..... this started to happen when i actually got the job i have rgt now and work with the ppl that LUCKY me.... i currently work with!

what can i do to help me not get angry?

thanks,
bentBABAyasooa`

Comments

• hey whats up i am the same way and it coast me big time if you go and read some of my other posts  read the bible read the agpeya go talk to abouna pray drink water excersise write down your feelings go boxing go jogging jump rope go to a park and just scream but never ever take it out on other people it will coast you big time mark my words i will pray for you gbu
  • " Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and loves God" 1 John 4:7. Granted, that might be very difficult, but it's a start. When you begin to see people's true value, it'll get more difficult to take your aggressions out on them. As previously stated, you need to find a more positive way to vent. For example, take up a hobby. You can learn a new sport, play music, vent to God(through prayer), do anything. Look for a good way to release energy. When you work hard to not spread your anger aloud, by God's grace, you will eventually think of it less and less.
    Most importantly, pray. Prayer is key here. Pray that God blesses you with more patience and consideration for others, whether you recieve it in return or not.
    In the meantime, I think you should start looking for a new job.

Irini Pasi
  • Hello, I am like you, quick to anger, but there are a couple of excercises I tried that have helped me a great deal and thus I would like to share them with you...

First, it's important (and yet oh so difficult) to restrain yourself from that bad reaction which in most cases one regrets afterwards, and take a deep breath and a few seconds to think about the following..

- Always try to put the mistake on your side, or at least part of it, and think maybe I caused the person to act that way and thus I deserve it.. (this is a great exercise for humility)

- Always keep in mind that the person who made you angry is a daughter/son of Christ, He died for them, He will forgive them, He loves them and is patient with them, so then who are you to get angry (and maybe start to judge?)

- Most importantly, try to raise your heart to the Lord and ask for help, no way that when the daughter of The King asks for her Father's help that He would leave her standing...
    And remember that in prayer, one exchanges his old, bad traits for new, heavenly traits from the Lord Himself, 'ask and you shall receive', God is love, and He's waiting for someone to ask so He can pour out His divine love in their heart

God bless you
    Please pray for my weakness
  • Has anyone here ever tried the "count to 10" thing.

Whenever I see President Bush on TV talking, or saying jokes, or creating another war because he's scared someone will attack his country, I count to 10.

After I count to 10, I slowly drop the pair of shoes in my hands in a relief knowing that I didnt break the TV over this.
  • Some people get mad at others for certain resons. The point is getting angry is not a sin in itself. Jesus became angry when he saw the people selling in the temple. As long as your anger is righteous, it would be okay
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=7442.msg98332#msg98332 date=1229298515]
    Has anyone here ever tried the "count to 10" thing.

Whenever I see President Bush on TV talking, or saying jokes, or creating another war because he's scared someone will attack his country, I count to 10.

After I count to 10, I slowly drop the pair of shoes in my hands in a relief knowing that I didnt break the TV over this.

I must admit QT_PA_2T that is about the funniest thing I've heard all day.. u  really made my day..haha thanks.
  • hey there dont take this personal.......
    but it sounds like you need to read the book of psamls from the holy bible......
    I have personaly found that at times when I am angry upset or depressed that if I read from the book of psamls with a tune it really helps me feel better
  • I was recently inspired by the events in Iraq to develop a computer video game where the user has to throw objects at President Bush before he destroys the planet. The longer his mouth is open, the more the planet turns red. The more you hit him,. the planet becomes greener. You are given tomatoes (10 points) and shoes (100 points).  You must dodge the security guards surrounding him (who can fire back at u).

Hopefully this game will help relieve the anger other people feel when they see Bush. I won't charge any money for it. It will be free or based on a play-as-u-pray policy.

Everyone must find a way to release anger, and I feel this is a positive way. I can get a real face of Bush in the program.. that hiddeous grin on his face after saying some stupid joke. I can copy that and put in the code. It won't take long.

If anyone is interested in this software, let me know... I've started already. I'm using flash so it won't take long to develop.

• [quote author=Tεκcoνι μέσα Πεχριcτoc link=topic=7442.msg98345#msg98345 date=1229309738]
    [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=7442.msg98332#msg98332 date=1229298515]

I must admit QT_PA_2T that is about the funniest thing I've heard all day.. u  really made my day..haha thanks.

Agree lol :D
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=7442.msg98353#msg98353 date=1229341972]
    I was recently inspired by the events in Iraq to develop a computer video game where the user has to throw objects at President Bush before he destroys the planet. The longer his mouth is open, the more the planet turns red. The more you hit him,. the planet becomes greener. You are given tomatoes (10 points) and shoes (100 points).  You must dodge the security guards surrounding him (who can fire back at u).

Hopefully this game will help relieve the anger other people feel when they see Bush. I won't charge any money for it. It will be free or based on a play-as-u-pray policy.

Everyone must find a way to release anger, and I feel this is a positive way. I can get a real face of Bush in the program.. that hiddeous grin on his face after saying some stupid joke. I can copy that and put in the code. It won't take long.

If anyone is interested in this software, let me know... I've started already. I'm using flash so it won't take long to develop.

To be honest, I dont think anger should go to that extreme. What the reporter did was il-id-adab, and should not have been done. That is for a different topic, and personally, i dont think that making such games are very Christ-like.
  • I found some Verse in the Holy Bible about anger

Psalm 103:8 (New King James Version)
    8 The LORD is merciful and gracious,
            Slow to anger, and abounding in mercy.

Proverbs 15:18 (New King James Version)
    18 A wrathful man stirs up strife,
          But he who is slow to anger allays contention.

Proverbs 16:32 (New King James Version)
    32 He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty,
          And he who rules his spirit than he who takes a city.

James 1:19-20 (New King James Version)
    19 So then,[a] my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath; 20 for the wrath of man does not produce the righteousness of God.

Matthew 5:22-24 (New King James Version)
    22 But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause[a] shall be in danger of the judgment. And whoever says to his brother, ‘Raca!’ shall be in danger of the council. But whoever says, ‘You fool!’ shall be in danger of hell fire. 23 Therefore if you bring your gift to the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, 24 leave your gift there before the altar, and go your way. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift.

Hope it helped Pray for me
    Copticdeacon

• My church just recently had a retreat with H.G. Anba David and the topic was on Anger. I would like to share with you some of the notes I took on this:

It was said to the people of old (referring to the 10 comandments) "you shall not murder" Now he says you shall not get mad.

Does Christianity allow us to be angry? When? Why? How?

If anger is expressed properly than it can be useful.
    It is easier to pull out a weed when it is small, but if it's left to grow, it will be much harder to remove.
    (an example is Cain.. he ended up killing a quarter of the population..lol i thought that was pretty funny)
    If you want to express anger, not at the wrong people at the wrong time. It is IMPORTANT to express anger, its HARMFUL to keep it inside, this is dangerous. Keeping in emotions can come out the wrong way.
    Feelings are neutral (not good/bad). Anger is there for a reason (bet u haven't heard that before ;)) it can be misused or used properly. Anger is not all together wrong!
    1 Cor. 5:1-5
    2 Cor. 2:1-11
    "What time is proper for anger? When we are not avenging for ourselves, but checking others in their lawness freaks, or forcing them to attend in their negligence." (John Chrysostom)
    Don't be angry if one tells you your mistakes, this can be a message from God to correct yourself.
    Rev. 6:15-17
    "A meek person may get angry sometimes, showing his wrath against evil. Yet he gets angry in a way that is consistent with his meekness." (Pope Shenouda)
    Eph. 4:26
    In our wrong anger, we may do so many wrong things. We may shout, offend, insult, break things, abuse, injure and bruise, and kill. (Rememberance of evil entailing death... sound familiar  ;)) Anger management is important.
    Did you know that 21 other sins accompany anger?
    Lets learn to get angry at people because we LOVE them, not because we HATE them.

Anger is often given other names:
    "I'm just avoiding the person, I'm not mad"
    "Im teaching the person a lesson to be respected by them"
    "I want to keep my inner peace"
    "I'm not anger AT the person, I'm just angry at their deeds"

Here are some causes of Anger:
    Inner Causes:
    1. Nature (personality)-through inheritance of surrounding environment.
    2. The ego and pride- "There is rarely an anger behind which there is no ego." (Pope Shenouda)
    3. Desire to manipulate- wish to interfere with peoples life.
    4. Lack of love & disrespect.
    5. Fatigue- pick right time to talk.
    6. Nagging- it IS a sin to get someone angry.
    7. Stress- try to be brief and ask if you can help.
    8. Intelligence- intelligent people do not need explanation.
    9. Psychological reasons- paranoia.
    10.Lack of wisdom- Ecc. 7:9.
    11.Attack from devil.
    12.Loss of humility-doesn't get angry or angers people.

External Causes:
    1. Fault of the others-insults, offenses, talking behind back, actions, indifference, laziness, and cheating.
    2. Disobedient
    3. Financial reasons
    4. Defending the truth
    5. Correcting others

Other Causes:
    1. extreme calmness
    2. dealing with proactive people
    3. slow to understand people
    4. lack of empathy

How to deal with anger?
    Anger is an emotion that CANNOT be ignored, it can explode if kept inside.
    We Must:
    NAME IT: dont give it another name.. its anger!
    CLAIM IT: to admit it.
    TAME IT: to discipline and subdue.
    AIM IT: to direct it properly.

How to treat Anger:
    1. Humility- be humble. "It is impossible to achieve freedom from anger without humility." (St. John Climacus).
    2. Blaming oneself- not sense of guilt, but healthy spiritual virtue. (like in the der they say "I sinned" to let things go... arguing doesn't get anywhere, just let it go.. its OK if people argue, tolerate with LOVE  ;D)
    3. Treat other person as physician (discover points of illness, hidden weakness).
    4. James 1:20, Prov. 22:24, Prov. 29:8
    Answer by these verses.
    5. Learn to be slow in anger (Ecc. 7:9)
    6. Soft answer (Ecc. 15:1)
    7. Wisdom-silence isnt always the answer... some get more angry from silence.
    8. Remember bad results from anger.
    9. To discuss & rebuke- to convince
    10. Ventilation not precipitation- prov. 29:8
    11. Remember God's patience- act the same!
    12. Learn how to lower voice-Matt. 12:19
    13. Pray!!

Ask yourself, Personal Reason or Holy Reason??
    Make excuses for others.
    Talk to someone who can help.
    Don't justify your anger.
    DON'T EXPECT OTHERS TO BE PERFECT
    Your not the judge.
    Stay Calm!

I hope this was somewhat of help to you. Rabina Ma'aky!

• [quote author=coptmorous link=topic=7442.msg98371#msg98371 date=1229372939]
    [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=7442.msg98353#msg98353 date=1229341972]
    I was recently inspired by the events in Iraq to develop a computer video game where the user has to throw objects at President Bush before he destroys the planet. The longer his mouth is open, the more the planet turns red. The more you hit him,. the planet becomes greener. You are given tomatoes (10 points) and shoes (100 points).  You must dodge the security guards surrounding him (who can fire back at u).

To be honest, I dont think anger should go to that extreme. What the reporter did was il-id-adab, and should not have been done. That is for a different topic, and personally, i dont think that making such games are very Christ-like.

On the contrary! Abouna suggested it. He said that when someone upsets you, take it out on a pillow. Just grab a pillow and tear it, but don't do anything to him personally.

So, this game is the same. Im not touching Bush personally. Im just using a JPEG image of his face in a game.

What the reporter did is totally understandable. Do not judge. You sound very self righteous. If your family had died in Iraq because of Bush's war "of" terror, you'd be happy to hear him come and talk about the great progress he has made in Iraq?
  • Sorry for the late Reply.

Thank you all for your reply.
    [quote author=bigeee link=topic=7442.msg98317#msg98317 date=1229235567]
    hey whats up i am the same way and it coast me big time if you go and read some of my other posts  read the bible read the agpeya go talk to abouna pray drink water excersise write down your feelings go boxing go jogging jump rope go to a park and just scream but never ever take it out on other people it will coast you big time mark my words i will pray for you gbu

The thing is.... If i don't take it out on someone.... and I keep it all inside me... when i have too much built inside me..either I cry doesn't matter where or hit people!!

I went with my mom to see this Doc. yesterday..... and my GOD he was STUPID!!! HIS STUPIDITY WAS FALLING OFF OF HIM!! we had to wait 3 hrs before we even go in.... I yelled at the nursers for like 3x maybe more.... and when we went inside finally....it took the doc. another hr to see us... i yelled at the nurses some more! and when he came in .... I think he was drugged... I DIDN'T COUNT 1 TO 10! I COUNTED 1 - 50 EVERYTIME HE SAYS i don't know to a question!! i felt taking my shoe and throwing it.... ( i guess that is what arabs do :P ) and took another hr to write the prescriptions!! I WAS KHALAS..... HAD IT!!!

I usualy like peace, i think it is embarrasing when my dad loses his kool in public!! I don't know why i am like that now!! :(

I have been watching saints movies lately...and I have been asking them Plz don't let me be quick to anger! :(

Thank you,  Tεκcoνι μέσα Πεχριcτoc , that was v. helpfull indeed!.

pray for me,
    bentBABAyasooa`
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=7442.msg98398#msg98398 date=1229420490]
    [quote author=coptmorous link=topic=7442.msg98371#msg98371 date=1229372939]
    [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=7442.msg98353#msg98353 date=1229341972]

On the contrary! Abouna suggested it. He said that when someone upsets you, take it out on a pillow. Just grab a pillow and tear it, but don't do anything to him personally.

So, this game is the same. Im not touching Bush personally. Im just using a JPEG image of his face in a game.

What the reporter did is totally understandable. Do not judge. You sound very self righteous. If your family had died in Iraq because of Bush's war "of" terror, you'd be happy to hear him come and talk about the great progress he has made in Iraq?
    As I stated earlier, we are not here to discuss this. This is for a different topic. We are here to discuss anger issues and that is all.[quote author=bentBABAyasooa` link=topic=7442.msg98427#msg98427 date=1229451453]
    Sorry for the late Reply.

Thank you all for your reply.
    [quote author=bigeee link=topic=7442.msg98317#msg98317 date=1229235567]
    hey whats up i am the same way and it coast me big time if you go and read some of my other posts  read the bible read the agpeya go talk to abouna pray drink water excersise write down your feelings go boxing go jogging jump rope go to a park and just scream but never ever take it out on other people it will coast you big time mark my words i will pray for you gbu

The thing is.... If i don't take it out on someone.... and I keep it all inside me... when i have too much built inside me..either I cry doesn't matter where or hit people!!

I went with my mom to see this Doc. yesterday..... and my GOD he was STUPID!!! HIS STUPIDITY WAS FALLING OFF OF HIM!! we had to wait 3 hrs before we even go in.... I yelled at the nursers for like 3x maybe more.... and when we went inside finally....it took the doc. another hr to see us... i yelled at the nurses some more! and when he came in .... I think he was drugged... I DIDN'T COUNT 1 TO 10! I COUNTED 1 - 50 EVERYTIME HE SAYS i don't know to a question!! i felt taking my shoe and throwing it.... ( i guess that is what arabs do :P ) and took another hr to write the prescriptions!! I WAS KHALAS..... HAD IT!!!

I usualy like peace, i think it is embarrasing when my dad loses his kool in public!! I don't know why i am like that now!! :(

I have been watching saints movies lately...and I have been asking them Plz don't let me be quick to anger! :(

Thank you,  Tεκcoνι μέσα Πεχριcτoc , that was v. helpfull indeed!.

pray for me,
    bentBABAyasooa`

It sounds like ur doctor upset you. I know this is rather old, but patience is a virtue... :P
  • Coptmoros/bentababa,

All I am suggesting is that you should find constructive ways to channel your anger. Here's an example of what someone produced in channelling that anger and frustration about the current state of Egypt:

I think it was well done, and the graphics took time. I don't agree with all of it, but its better than resorting to violence.
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=7442.msg98438#msg98438 date=1229461698]
    Coptmoros/bentababa,

All I am suggesting is that you should find constructive ways to channel your anger. Here's an example of what someone produced in channelling that anger and frustration about the current state of Egypt:

I think it was well done, and the graphics took time. I don't agree with all of it, but its better than resorting to violence.
    That's hilarious!!! bi habik ya hmaar. That made my day. Very well put QT_PA_2T. Violence is not the answer in any way shape or form.
  • I don't know how u managed to control yourself.. i was crying with laughter when I heard that song. The Lyrics are hilarious.

You see, your anger channeled using art can help others.
  • Ok you guys, I agree it is kind of funny, but really disrespectful, , I mean he's still the president of Egypt, which for many on this forum, is their homeland... He has made many mistakes, I agree, but I think it's a principle that you don't ridicule your president like that, how does that make Egypt and Egyptians look like?

Constructive and respectful criticism is one thing, but ridiculing someone like that is another, and if that's how we treat (some of us) our (for the Egyptians) president, then we shouldn't expect others to treat us much better...

God bless you
    Please forgive me and pray for my weakness
  • Yes, I agree totally Godislove,

that's why i said in my post that I don't agree with everything, but i liked the constructive artistic style that resulted in producing such a .... a.. masterpiece.
  • [quote author=Godislove260 link=topic=7442.msg98474#msg98474 date=1229509629]
    Ok you guys, I agree it is kind of funny, but really disrespectful, , I mean he's still the president of Egypt, which for many on this forum, is their homeland... He has made many mistakes, I agree, but I think it's a principle that you don't ridicule your president like that, how does that make Egypt and Egyptians look like?

Constructive and respectful criticism is one thing, but ridiculing someone like that is another, and if that's how we treat (some of us) our (for the Egyptians) president, then we shouldn't expect others to treat us much better...

God bless you
    The same could also be said for the American president, but that's a different discussion...
  • [quote author=coptmorous link=topic=7442.msg98486#msg98486 date=1229551624]
    [quote author=Godislove260 link=topic=7442.msg98474#msg98474 date=1229509629]
    Ok you guys, I agree it is kind of funny, but really disrespectful, , I mean he's still the president of Egypt, which for many on this forum, is their homeland... He has made many mistakes, I agree, but I think it's a principle that you don't ridicule your president like that, how does that make Egypt and Egyptians look like?

God bless you
    The same could also be said for the American president, but that's a different discussion...

I agree it's a different discussion, but I don't see how the same could be said for Bush..

God bless
  • A president is a respectable figure, and he should not be ridiculed...
  • As a president, commander in chief of the army Bush made a lotttt of  ridiculous decisions, and as a human being, he made some ridiculous statements, I think he's the one rediculing himself in the end... I'm not justifying what the journalist did, I mean definitly he's not a hero or anything like many say, but I understand very well where he's coming from, and I can't say that I blame him, as QT said if your country had been invaded by this maniac who claims that all he does comes from the Bible and who still says that he did a good thing, I don't know what I would be capable of but ya3ni I would be so angry.

To be honest with you I don't know what to say about your statement of a president is a respectful figure and should not be ridiculed I think it's too general and too broad, I mean I agree you can't ridicule his looks or something, keda walla keda that is very low, and also making stupid songs about him that have nothing to do with him, but I wouldn't go so far as to say a president can't be ridiculed cuz he's respectful, especially when it comes to Bush ya3ni, there were some bad leaders of whom I respect theri strategic abilities or some of their decisions, but then there are leaders for whom I have no respect whatsoever... I think sometimes humor can be a good way to critizise indirectly, especially in countries where there is little freedom (cf Al za3eem, and Mohammed Sobhi copying Husni Mubarak, sometimes just the mere imitation of life with a few twists can become humor)... As I said before, there's nothing wrong with criticism that's to the point also when it's put on in a humoristic way, in fact that's necessary in a democratic country, but there's a difference between that and actual senseless making fun of someone...(but then that would go with any human being with a position of responsibility, not just presidents)

(this is just my view, feel free to disagree)

God bless you
    Please pray for me
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=7442.msg98438#msg98438 date=1229461698]
    Coptmoros/bentababa,

hhahaha.. what's with you and presidents being humilated on national T.V.?!! that is pretty funny! i never did like mobarak.
    bas thowing shoes at the U.S. president is completly INSANE!!! that just made all the arabs look bad.... wasn't 9-11 enough?!!! noooo lazaaam edraboo bel gazma! BUSH is a WHOLE lot better than Barack oSama (ben ladin) hussien.

I think i figured out what was bothering me and making me explode at everything.... it was me waiting for my grades to come out! cause once they came out and all were good except one i wasn't realy that happy abt.... when they came out... i was relieved and carried on to my normal life....! :)

• I have a strong feeling that we're going to miss President Bush with Barack Obama.

Obama is so intimately close with AIPAC. He's literally sucking up to them. This, coupled with his Islamic background, will fuel like nothing ever the hatred towards America that was already in full momentum over the injustices in Palestine.

It will only need the Gulf states to work in unity to sanction Israel and the US and stop Petroleum exports to bring the ruin and end of this once powerful country. If Israel doesnt stop its unjustified attacks on palestinians, I can guarantee you, there will be a next war, and it will really destroy the US.

America has NO money to even think about attacking Iran. If it used military force, it would make enemies with every single country in the Middle East outside Israel.

This unqualified support for Israel and Obama's muslim roots will boil a lot of middle eastern blood no doubt. I suggest you get used to hearing that youtube video, but with the face changed many times.
  • Dude, this video is HILARIOUS ;D ;D ;D
  • this reminds me when I used to go clubbing and all that... I used to be called "Scarface"... just because of my anger... I used to fight like no other just because someone might have said something that just barely upset me!

"Then Peter took Him aside and began to rebuke Him. But when He had turned around and looked at His disciples, He rebuked Peter, saying, 'Get behind Me, Satan! For you are not mindful of the things of God, but the things of men.'"

Saint Peter, kan damou hamy shewya... when he heard Jesus talk about His death... he became angry, he started "rebuking" Jesus... what does Jesus say?! "get behind me SATAN"

when we are angry, we lose control... so Mr. Satan sees that, he comes to your aid, and takes control... do you want Jesus to tell you, "get behind me Satan"?!

when you get upset... start saying the Jesus prayer... till this day I see people who were hurt, and still have scars because of me... till this day I see my scars that were caused because of my anger... believe me, peace is the best, I have so much peace when I leave it to God. When I inhale my breath, I accept Him and proclaim His name, "My Lord Jesus Christ" and as I exhale I ask him to exhale the sins away from me, as I say, "have mercy on me"  and then I also proclaim that I am weak, and I need His help as I proclaim, "for I am a sinner."  "My Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me, a sinner!" this prayer will not let satan take control... but it will help you very much!!!

akhadna el baraka... neshkor Allah!
  • Superman(BAM)... thank you soo much! this is such a great advice ;)!!

begad thank you sooooooooooooooooooooo much!
  • Sometimes the enviroment we are ibn has an effect on us. How are the people ar your work place, are they the way you hate to be? if so then its probibly the enviroment . look for a differant work place. your salavation is most important than a job. Even if it because of the new Job itself and you cant and conroll your anger negative feelings leave the work place. if this is an inssuing problem no matter what you do pray a;\alot and put your focus on Jesus and go over all his saying in the gosbels. you will gain strenth by the grace of God, but if you do nothing about it now it will grow in you and kill you like a tumor. Pray for me