during the nativty fast

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
what is the exact list of what we ca eat and cant eat i am confused about this.. thank you so much gbu

Comments

• You can eat all kinds of vegetables and fruit, bread, and fish.
    You can't eat or drink any animal products: milk, cheese, meat, etc.

Also note that you should also go a couple of hours (depending on how much you can take, and what your spiritual father advises you..) without eating or drinking anything at all...

But remember that food is not the most important thing during the fast. It is not the goal, but only a means to reach the goal, which is to be able to control the body. Keep the body chained, so the spirit can soar freely and reach higher levels.

God bless you
    Please pray for me

• Thats all correct what Godislove260 said, but one thing i want to add is fish isn't eaten on Wednesdays or Fridays.
  • y does the church allow seafood?
  • [quote author=coptmorous link=topic=7433.msg98205#msg98205 date=1229036465]
    y does the church allow seafood?

It been that wAy from the time of the apostles.
  • But other than that, is there any reason mentioned in the Bible? My closest guess would be that it was because Jesus ate fish.
  • thats pretty close, this is a joyous fast and our Lord always ate fish, most of the time thats what He was eating, so we allow this food
  • [quote author=coptmorous link=topic=7433.msg98220#msg98220 date=1229046795]
    But other than that, is there any reason mentioned in the Bible? My closest guess would be that it was because Jesus ate fish.

at times of the apostles, there were many believers who weren't always able to get seyame food at all times. fish back then can easily be caught and cooked and eaten. so it was just set to help the people not to starve, especially with some that can't just afford these seyame foods.

now when times and days of fastings were finalized, some of the fasts became more holy, more spiritual, so they brought it back to the original way of fasting, without seafood.

now let's also say "seafood".....not only FISH, just for the fact of the variety of fish we have today in our world.
  • [quote author=Hisservant link=topic=7433.msg98221#msg98221 date=1229047144]
    thats pretty close, this is a joyous fast and our Lord always ate fish, most of the time thats what He was eating, so we allow this food

well, let's not forget that, Jesus Himself said that, "while the Bridegroom is on earth, the apostles do  not fast....
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=7433.msg98223#msg98223 date=1229047377]
    [quote author=Hisservant link=topic=7433.msg98221#msg98221 date=1229047144]
    thats pretty close, this is a joyous fast and our Lord always ate fish, most of the time thats what He was eating, so we allow this food

well, let's not forget that, Jesus Himself said that, "while the Bridegroom is on earth, the apostles do  not fast....

you lost me lol, can you explain?
  • [quote author=Hisservant link=topic=7433.msg98226#msg98226 date=1229051090]
    [quote author=minagir link=topic=7433.msg98223#msg98223 date=1229047377]
    [quote author=Hisservant link=topic=7433.msg98221#msg98221 date=1229047144]

you lost me lol, can you explain?

Luke 5:33-35
    "Why do the disciples of John fast often and make prayers, and likewise those of the Pharisees, but Yours eat and drink?" And He said to them, "Can you make the friends of the bridegroom fast while the bridegroom is with them? But the days will come when the Bridegroom will be taken away from them; then they will fast in those days."
  • But Jesus hasnt been born, so he wouldnt be on earth right? or is that counting fromhis mother's pregnancy?
  • is there a website that i can get a list at because i made mistakes in my fast from confussion
  • [quote author=bigeee link=topic=7433.msg98244#msg98244 date=1229102564]
    is there a website that i can get a list at because i made mistakes in my fast from confussion

hmmm...it's not that complicated....
    all dairy-products, all eggs, all meats including chicken and anything that have these products in them. that's it.
  • [quote author=coptmorous link=topic=7433.msg98242#msg98242 date=1229102417]
    But Jesus hasnt been born, so he wouldnt be on earth right? or is that counting fromhis mother's pregnancy?

wait, what. this is the kind of fasting after the Pentecost.
    the fasting before that, in Jewish tradition, if i am not mistaken, there was no food or water.