St.Mary's parents

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
I know that St.Mary's dad is Joachim but is her mom's name Anna or Hannah? In arabic it translates to Hannah but I've heard it Anna before. OR do they both mean the same thing?
Where is it located in the Bible?
Thanks

Comments

• I've heard its Anna and from what the texts in the tasbeha say its anna, I don't think its located in the Bible specifically
  • were does it say that?

NESS<><
  • [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=7378.msg97705#msg97705 date=1227924835]
    I've heard its Anna and from what the texts in the tasbeha say its anna, I don't think its located in the Bible specifically

Thats where I heard it from.But I want to know is this written in the Bible?

[quote author=NESS55 link=topic=7378.msg97712#msg97712 date=1227967618]
    were does it say that?

NESS<><

In tasbeha it says Anna but in arabic if you translate it, it becomes Hannah. I need Bible references.
  • ic

must be a traditional thing

NESS<><
  • i dont think its in teh bible though is it? please correct me if i am wrong=)

+mahraeel+
  • no i dont think it is however it maybe in the other books of which i dont have (im prodistant so i dont use the extra books) thats why i was hoping maybe you would find a refferance but thats ok

NESS<><
  • I heard it was in the Bible. But, if it is not in the Bible then how did we know about it?
  • [quote author=Loca4Christ link=topic=7378.msg97794#msg97794 date=1228092070]
    I heard it was in the Bible. But, if it is not in the Bible then how did we know about it?

my vary question indeed

NESS<><
  • if i am not mistaken, it's just a change of NAMES between languages. this is very clear in many other names in the Bible. Especially in Hebrew tradition.
  •                           +++

Dear friends,

I want you to explain this to me without reading the extra books.

1st Jude 1:9 (King James Version)

9Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee.

Would you please show me where in the Bible St. Michael the archangel contend with the devil? where is the verse that talks about St. Michael the archangel disputing with the devil over the body of Moses?????
    Well, it looks Jude is an Orthodox thus reads extra books unlike the protestants.

2nd Genesis 4 (King James Version)

1And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the LORD.
    2And she again bare his brother Abel. And Abel was a keeper of sheep, but Cain was a tiller of the ground.

17And Cain knew his wife; and she conceived, and bare Enoch: and he builded a city, and called the name of the city, after the name of his son, Enoch.
    18And unto Enoch was born Irad: and Irad begat Mehujael: and Mehujael begat Methusael: and Methusael begat Lamech.

Can you please from where Cain found a wife??? I want a verse from the bible like you said.

Fortunately the whole Bible is written in a manner that requires you to read other extra books.
    The answers to these Qs, we have as an Orthodox who reads extra books that are written by the Spirit of God.

Like manner the name of the mother of St. Mary not being mentioned in the Bible won't be a mystery or a big story in our Church or confuse us like u b/c we have the story of the life of St. Mary starting far away behind, her familes, we have it written.

You, the protestants, who rejected all the extra books with all saints, feel free to come and refer our rich background of written heritages by our revered saints of the Orthodox Church.

Then only you realise how the devil has robbed you off almost everything.

May God be with us always with His holiest mother, holy angels, saints in mercy and love. Amen!!! 

• 9Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee.

Would you please show me where in the Bible St. Michael the archangel contend with the devil? where is the verse that talks about St. Michael the archangel disputing with the devil over the body of Moses??
    Well, it looks Jude is an Orthodox thus reads extra books unlike the protestants.

do not be so quick to judge yes Jude did quote from Enoch there is no dispute there are a few protestants who do use the "extra books"

also i would like to ask the question if jude quotes Enoch then should not Enoch be in the bible? ok but then i have to ask does not Solomon quote from pagan poems and does not Paul use pagan literature to reach out to the lost? so then do these pagan poems and litterature need to be in the bible as well?

NESS<><
  • binC is being a little ignorant, the protestants rejected these books because they did not see them as authentic, the Orthodox church did find the "apocryphal" deuterocanonicall books to be authentic, but there are books that are still not accepted, gospel of jude, gospel of judas, and others. The new Orthodox Study Bible has all of the books.
  • [quote author=Hisservant link=topic=7378.msg97848#msg97848 date=1228169161]
    binC is being a little ignorant, the protestants rejected these books because they did not see them as authentic, the Orthodox church did find the "apocryphal" deuterocanonicall books to be authentic, but there are books that are still not accepted, gospel of jude, gospel of judas, and others. The new Orthodox Study Bible has all of the books.

it has all hhmmm so is that why the OSB gets mixed reviews

NESS<><
  • [quote author=Hisservant link=topic=7378.msg97848#msg97848 date=1228169161]
    binC is being a little ignorant, the protestants rejected these books because they did not see them as authentic, the Orthodox church did find the "apocryphal" deuterocanonicall books to be authentic, but there are books that are still not accepted, gospel of jude, gospel of judas, and others. The new Orthodox Study Bible has all of the books.

i have to say, not yet FULLY.
    i was looking at it a while ago, and there is NO Malachi ch 3 and 4.
    i hated that. because in it is the verse:
    Malachi 4:2
    But to you who fear My name The Sun of Righteousness shall arise With healing in His wings; And you shall go out And grow fat like stall-fed calves.

which is in the Sunday Theotokeia, where everyone think it's supposed to be "SON" not "SUN"
  • Hi guys,
    the enoch quoted by jude is the one in genesis in the list of the ancient people who lived to very old ages. he was taken up to heaven directly by God and didn't die.
    i think if we read the main books (the ones everyone agrees on) and follow their message, and then read the deuterocanonical books as an extra and learn from them too, then we won't go far wrong.
    in my own opinion (i am not a church teacher or anything) you have everything you need for salvation in the main books, however the others are also good to read.
    the main thing is to read the bible, ideally several times and live your life like it belongs to jesus and not to you.
    so if you love and serve God, love your neighbour, return good for evil, tell others about your faith and accept God's intervention in your life and join in the sufferings of Jesus Christ in order to join in His future glory, than you will be nearer to God than if you become and expert on which books should be included in the Bible.

try 1 corinthians 13 as a start :)

for any protestants reading this; i have read the deuterocanonical books (in a catholic 'good news' version of the Bible from the local library) and there is nothing in them which contradicts the main books. i dont remeber seeing the names of St Mary's parents but there is a lot of other historical literature to support the popular view of their names (i know this from abouna, our priest is an expert on the Bible and tradition and is also someone whose life looks like 1 corinthians 13!) the hebrew name for St Mary's mum can be translated as 'anna' or 'hannah', it doesn't matter.
    i think its very good we have protestants and catholics on this site, you are very welcome and it is great that you are interested in an orthodox website.
    i believe God wants us all to learn from one another (this is why i joined the Coptic church).
    may God bless you all richly
  • The names and lives of the Blessed Virgin Parents is mentioned in the book of ***( forgot the name..).I have read it and it is dubbed as an 'aprocyphal'. To my surprise, I was able to read in there everything and beyond of what I heard about their stories in the church.In other words, many of the traditions we have about the lives of the Blesssed Virgin,her parents and specially of St Joseph is found there. I think, the church does acknowledge  certain segments of aprocyphal books that are in agreement with the scriptures.

Most of the tradtions came from church fathers who used to write or transfer them down in ancient languages such as Coptic, Syric, Geez etc and many of these ancient languages have become extinct today so that many of their writings stay only within the compounds of the church.Thus, reading the various translations of non-canonical books should be taken with a salt of grain.

PS: Local4Christ, I still owe you part 2 on the 'ark of the covenant'.I apologise for my llousy and sluggish behaviour. I will PM you part 2 very soon.
  • Thanks for the replies.
    I am a Coptic Orthodox Christain. 
    Hezekial if you find out what book it is can you please post.
    I believe you guys but I'm interested in reading it.

Btw Hezekial No problem I am waiting for the pm.
  • [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

[quote author=Hezekiel link=topic=7378.msg97861#msg97861 date=1228175104]
    The names and lives of the Blessed Virgin Parents is mentioned in the book of ***( forgot the name..).

I believe the text you are referring to is the Protoevangelium of James, which is considered NT apocrypha.
  • [quote author=Κηφᾶς link=topic=7378.msg97939#msg97939 date=1228366895]
    [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

[quote author=Hezekiel link=topic=7378.msg97861#msg97861 date=1228175104]
    The names and lives of the Blessed Virgin Parents is mentioned in the book of ***( forgot the name..).

I believe the text you are referring to is the Protoevangelium of James, which is considered NT apocrypha.

some info about this would be great Kefas...
  • [quote author=Κηφᾶς link=topic=7378.msg97939#msg97939 date=1228366895]
    [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

Yes absolutely. There are also 3 other NT apocrypha books that tell details about St Joseph,St Mary, the Journey and stay in Egypt etc. If anyone wants a great Orthodox link with proper translation, PM me.I prefer not to give the link in public for fear that some may take the books as part of the bible. We have some minors here.
  • I'd like that link if it isn't too much trouble. Thanks!
  • [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

[quote author=minagir link=topic=7378.msg97940#msg97940 date=1228367903]
    some info about this would be great Kefas...

Mina, you may find this helpful.