Deuterocanonical Books of the Old Testament

edited November 2008 in Non-Orthodox Inquiries
why do you use the Deuterocanonical Books of the Old Testament

i have read some of them and some of them seem odd to me like bel the dragon do u think that actualy happend?

and arent there like 5 diffrent versions of the book of Enoch? so which one is the right one?

just wondering this has been on my mind for a long time

NESS<><

Comments

• [quote author=NESS55 link=topic=7362.msg97494#msg97494 date=1227471601]
    why do you use the Duteritical books

i have read some of them and some of them seem odd to me like bel the dragon do u think that actualy happend?

and arent there like 5 diffrent versions of the book of Enoch? so which one is the right one?

NESS<><

btw, they are called the "Deuterocanonical Books of the Old Testament"...(the second canonized books)
    well as for the Coptic Church, book of Enoch is not accepted. we are not saying it's wrong....it's just not in our church. the reason we accept most of the books is that they are included in our church fathers' writings.
    H.E.M. Bishoy said in his book against the Da Vinci Code that a research was done in  one of the universities about the Bible and found out that you can collect the whole true books of the Bible, including the from those writings except for 3- verses. I was surprised really.
    Also nothing with them is WRONG. the only reason that the protestants took them out of the Bible is that they were not in the Hebrew text that was found, but rather found in the Septuagint, which according to history, is translated from the original Hebrew.
  • o ok sry for the typo

i understand why they are not found in the Protestant bible but like i have read some of them and like the book called bel the dragon like to me well it seems quite odd

now do the Ethiopian Orthodox use the book of Enoch?

why does the Coptic church not accept the book of Enoch

NESS<><
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=7362.msg97511#msg97511 date=1227484605]
    [quote author=NESS55 link=topic=7362.msg97494#msg97494 date=1227471601]
    why do you use the Duteritical books

NESS<><

btw, they are called the "Deuterocanonical Books of the Old Testament"...(the second canonized books)
    well as for the Coptic Church, book of Enoch is not accepted. we are not saying it's wrong....it's just not in our church. the reason we accept most of the books is that they are included in our church fathers' writings.
    H.E.M. Bishoy said in his book against the Da Vinci Code that a research was done in  one of the universities about the Bible and found out that you can collect the whole true books of the Bible, including the from those writings except for 3- verses. I was surprised really.
    Also nothing with them is WRONG. the only reason that the protestants took them out of the Bible is that they were not in the Hebrew text that was found, but rather found in the Septuagint, which according to history, is translated from the original Hebrew.

Minagir, I would be very interested to know more about this research done by the university...
    If you have some more info on this, please share

Thank you
    Please pray for my weakness
    God Bless
  • excuse the space.....
  • [quote author=godislove260 link=topic=7362.msg97517#msg97517 date=1227486244]
    Minagir, I would be very interested to know more about this research done by the university...
    If you have some more info on this, please share

hmm, pm me so i can remember to find the book. the info is in the footnote there.

[quote author=NESS55 link=topic=7362.msg97513#msg97513 date=1227485291]
    o ok sry for the typo

i understand why they are not found in the Protestant bible but like i have read some of them and like the book called bel the dragon like to me well it seems quite odd

NESS<><

Well we just don't. i dono why.

now, the specific "book you are talking about is not really a book. "Bel & the Dragon" was the last chapter of the book of Daniel. there are 3 parts of the book of Daniel that are missing from the protestant Bible order"
    -the prayer of the 3 saintly children, which is basically the part that completes the 3rd chapter in the book...(being our third hoos in midnight praises in the Coptic Church).
    -the 13th chapter, as written in most of the translated versions of the Septuagint, the Story of the chaste Susanna, even though it is in fact the FIRST chapter of the book in the original Greek and in the context of Daniel's life.
    -the 14th chapter, which is headed "Bel & the Dragon" because in it Daniel proves the presence of our God by defeating the "Bel & the Dragon" which were the gods at that time, and where also he was PUT IN THE LIONS' DEN ONCE AGAIN FOR SEVEN DAYS. really amazing.
  • again....this is really weird.
    EXCUSE the space.
  • [quote author=NESS55 link=topic=7362.msg97513#msg97513 date=1227485291]
    o ok sry for the typo

NESS<><

Your question is legitimate.The complete Book of Enoch is part and parcel of the Tewahdo Orthodox church Canon. The irony is, all churchs refer to the book of Enoch,but have not included it in their biblical Canon.To my knowledge ,they do not cite any inconsistencies with the Scriptures.For example, we know that there are 7 Archangels from the book of Enoch. At least the names of 2 Archangles is from the book of Enoch. The hierachy of angels and their uprising against God  is found in the same book . In the NT, St Jude makes mention of Enoch and the coming of the Lord. I read somewhere that because of Jude's mention of Enoch,there had been attempts to render the book of Jude as Apocryphal.  The most intersting thing about the Apocryphal bibles is that most Orthodox traditions are written there, which makes me believe that these bibles are indirectly recognized.
  • Enoch is a deuterocanonical book? I didn't know that!
  • [quote author=aem581 link=topic=7362.msg97536#msg97536 date=1227503969]
    Enoch is a deuterocanonical book? I didn't know that!

not in our Coptic Church
  • Hahah, I was gonna say that I didn't remember seeing that. I thought I was going crazy for a second.
  • Yah it is interusting this subject

in the book by HH Pope Shenouda III on the Nature of Jesus he quotes a passage from Romans and it is not found in my bible i was wondering if it is found in your bible the passage is Romans 16:2-5

NESS<><
  • I was wondering if Minagir already found the reference to the research ...
    I would like to look into that...

Thanks
  • [quote author=NESS55 link=topic=7362.msg97651#msg97651 date=1227800654]
    Yah it is interusting this subject

in the book by HH Pope Shenouda III on the Nature of Jesus he quotes a passage from Romans and it is not found in my bible i was wondering if it is found in your bible the passage is Romans 16:2-5

NESS<><

well text is there, http://biblestudytools.net/OnlineStudyBible/bible.cgi?word=Romans+16:2+-+5&amp;section=0&amp;version=nkj&amp;new=1&amp;oq=&amp;NavBook=ro&amp;NavGo=16&amp;NavCurrentChapter=16

but i don't see anythin about the nature of our Lord.

[quote author=godislove260 link=topic=7362.msg97652#msg97652 date=1227805809]
    I was wondering if Minagir already found the reference to the research ...
    I would like to look into that...

Thanks

working on it. sorry, it's just i can't find the book.
  • HH Pope Shenouda III says this "According to the revelation of the mystery which was kept secret since the world began,... but now is made manifest (Rom 16:2-5)" p12 The Nature of Christ

when i looked up Rom 16:2-5 in my bible it did not say this how come?

you can find this book under the theology section on this website

NESS<><
  • [quote author=NESS55 link=topic=7362.msg97659#msg97659 date=1227815569]
    HH Pope Shenouda III says this "According to the revelation of the mystery which was kept secret since the world began,... but now is made manifest (Rom 16:2-5)" p12 The Nature of Christ

when i looked up Rom 16:2-5 in my bible it did not say this how come?

you can find this book under the theology section on this website

NESS<><

it's a typo. the verse is Romans 16:25:
    Now to Him who is able to establish you according to my gospel and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery kept secret since the world began

• so the pope made a typo? wow isnt that kinda .... bad

like if this were the Roman Catholic pope me brinning up a typo i would be considerd a heritic b/c the pope is infallable

your not bothered by this typo?

NESS<><
  • [quote author=NESS55 link=topic=7362.msg97672#msg97672 date=1227826396]
    so the pope made a typo? wow isnt that kinda .... bad

like if this were the Roman Catholic pope me brinning up a typo i would be considerd a heritic b/c the pope is infallable

your not bothered by this typo?

NESS<><

you found this 1st "on a digital format", which can be easily have a mistake. other then that, our pope does right english book offiially. noramlly what happens is that the book is written in arabic and is translated by specific servants, clergy member and then reviewed by HH and then published. so there can also be a mistake. but it doesn't really matter, the verse WAS WRITTEN for you to read.
  • true but like the bereans in Acts 17 i must look every scripture and seek out the truth

i thought that it was first writton in Arabic and then translated partly b/c arabic has no G and in one section it says the Creek Orthodox but i think in translation the G was changed to a C haha :)
    NESS<><
  • [quote author=NESS55 link=topic=7362.msg97676#msg97676 date=1227834666]
    true but like the bereans in Acts 17 i must look every scripture and seek out the truth

i thought that it was first writton in Arabic and then translated partly b/c arabic has no G and in one section it says the Creek Orthodox but i think in translation the G was changed to a C haha :)
    NESS<><

what do you mean arabic have no "g". not all word are the same in arabic.
  • this is exactly as i thought. the arabic book is here: http://www.elantony.net/library/books/pope_shenouda/64.rar
    open the pdf, page 14 is the text where it says  "Romans 16:25" in arabic.
  • ic thanx

NESS<><