who is the youngest deacon?

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Was there a deacon younger than Samuel?

Comments

• [quote author=Copticdeacon link=topic=7364.msg97543#msg97543 date=1227558116]

what do you mean?! Samuel who??
  • i have no idea i remember someone saying that the 1st youngest deacon his name was samuel
  • [quote author=Copticdeacon link=topic=7364.msg97549#msg97549 date=1227562896]
    i have no idea i remember someone saying that the 1st youngest deacon his name was samuel

the first deacon, Archdeacon is St. Stephen as he was one of the first ordained/set deacons by the Apostles, as it says in Acts.
  • i don't mean the 1st i mean the youngest
  • [quote author=Copticdeacon link=topic=7364.msg97551#msg97551 date=1227565540]
    i don't mean the 1st i mean the youngest

think about it. how can Samuel be before Stephen. 100s of years different.
  • oh wait no haha ah im talking about their age wise when they 1st became a deacon do you kind of get what im asking
  • [quote author=Copticdeacon link=topic=7364.msg97553#msg97553 date=1227566769]
    oh wait no haha ah im talking about their age wise when they 1st became a deacon do you kind of get what im asking

Samuel was NOT a deacon. He was a prophet and is called the "Anointer of kings"
  • I think he is asking what the age requirements for a deacon are:
    Psaltos at least 6
    Aghnostos at least 18(i've also heard 16)
    Subdeacon at least 20
    Deacon at least 25
    Archdeacon is the same i believe, I got these ages from an article on the deaconate by HG anba Mettaous
  • [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=7364.msg97556#msg97556 date=1227570200]
    I think he is asking what the age requirements for a deacon are:
    Psaltos at least 6
    Subdeacon at least 20
    Deacon at least 25
    Archdeacon is the same i believe, I got these ages from an article on the deaconate by HG anba Mettaous

I think Aghnostos is 16 only in exeptional cases, with great deacons and all...
  • no im not asking that either lol never mind
  • im asking there was a saint and he was the youngest child to be ordained deacon and i think his name is samuel
  • [quote author=coptic pharaoh link=topic=7364.msg97561#msg97561 date=1227570684]
    [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=7364.msg97556#msg97556 date=1227570200]
    Psaltos at least 6
    Subdeacon at least 20
    Deacon at least 25

I think Aghnostos is 16 only in exeptional cases, with great deacons and all...

hmmm....the main requirement to be an oghnostos is to be serving, or in the process of becoming a servant in sunday school or major services in church in general. that's why it goes around 16-17.
    Psaltos at least 6
    Subdeacon at least 20
    Deacon at least 25

these numbers are totally off, what it is supposed to be is chanter at 16, but we use these ages now because of practicality, we decide we will teach them as they go along, but you should start learning the hymns before you are a chanter, start knowing the bible before you are a reader, and so on. If you look back at the church history thats how it was.
  • [quote author=Copticdeacon link=topic=7364.msg97566#msg97566 date=1227572388]
    im asking there was a saint and he was the youngest child to be ordained deacon and i think his name is samuel

hm......don't tell anyone....but my brother was ordained an epsaltos when he was 4-5...shhhhh. ::) :-X
  • [quote author=Hisservant link=topic=7364.msg97568#msg97568 date=1227574487]
    Psaltos at least 6
    Subdeacon at least 20
    Deacon at least 25

these numbers are totally off, what it is supposed to be is chanter at 16, but we use these ages now because of practicality, we decide we will teach them as they go along, but you should start learning the hymns before you are a chanter, start knowing the bible before you are a reader, and so on. If you look back at the church history thats how it was.

if you LOOK BACK AT CHURCH HISTORY, this was not taken very seriouslly and most of the epizyakon and ezyakon ranks were gevin to people who don't even fully serve in, but they would be given as an honor for their services. also it was harder for people to learn/and teach. so the ones that were found knowledgeable of CLEAR things were ordained according to that knowledge.

I was ordained when i was 17, and i was ordained an epsaltos when i was 14. i actually was going to be ordained oghnostos 3ala tool when i was 11 years old, but something very funny happened with the Bishop, so i didn't.

it doesn't fully have to do with fully the numbers, there always be people a lot older who would still become oghnostoses, and many other younger who would become oghnostoses.
  • [quote author=Hisservant link=topic=7364.msg97568#msg97568 date=1227574487]
    Psaltos at least 6
    Subdeacon at least 20
    Deacon at least 25

I'm sure that is what it WAS but not now, I pulled these from an article by HG who is in fact Head of the rites committee so i think these numbers stand...

PS also i'd like to correct one thing, for psaltos there wasn't an age requirement in the article
  • yea im 15 turning 16 in like 2 or 3 weeks and anba youssef from the southern states came to our church he ordained deacons and he ordained me aghnostos...personally i think it shouldn't matter about age i think what matters if that deacon is fulfilling what is required in his rank and in the next rank and if he is doing them out of love for God
    Pray for me
    Copticdeacon
  • [quote author=Copticdeacon link=topic=7364.msg97543#msg97543 date=1227558116]

i dont know who this samuel is but there are many young deacons being ordained its impossible to be the youngest
    Psaltos at least 6
    Subdeacon at least 20
    Deacon at least 25

I've heard that these ages are only recommended from oghnostos and subdeacon. everything else is required from what I've heard.
  • Hi young deacons and other young people!
    First i want to say that in these forums I've been really impressed with some of the deep theological discussions some young people are having, so whether you're a deacon or not, keep learning the Bible and having a relationship with God, even if you're very young, Jesus always accepted the children.
    Second, Samuel's story is in 1 Samuel chapters 1-3. He 'served in the temple' from when he was weaned, which would have been about 2 or 3 years old, he heard the voice of God when he was a child (it doesn't say what age, but to call someone a 'boy' in Hebrew usually meant before the bar mitzvah i.e before age 13), and he went on to be a prophet and the last leader of Israel before they had kings. He is not called a 'deacon' in the Bible but the duties he would have performed would have been a bit similar to the duties of deacons today, so I think it's ok to call him a deacon.
    Lastly, could someone please explain to me all the orders of deacons and their official duties and which orders wear the sash over the robe diagonally and which wear it in a loop around the front? I haven't found a good web site about it. In our church we have deacons from age 3 to very old and the girls serve in the choir or by giving out envelopes for money or other things, so everyone has a chance to contribute. It is a great blessing to see everyone serving God.
    Rabina ma'akum kull :-)