question on the 10 comandments

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
ok in the 10 comandments it says that we are not supposed to make a graven image

so inlight of this how do you justify a picture of Jesus?

NESS<><

Comments

• A graven image probably and should be related to the worship of the image itself. I was taught that the icons and such were only made to tell a story and provide a visual for the believer.
  • [quote author=coptmorous link=topic=7352.msg97327#msg97327 date=1226967580]
    A graven image probably and should be related to the worship of the image itself. I was taught that the icons and such were only made to tell a story and provide a visual for the believer.

you are right. and that's why icons are "written" not painted as normal pictures. also icons have some special rules since they become sanctified, primarily to be in churches, being diffrent from other paintings you would see.

but in general, an icon or a painting, literally is NOT a graved image.

a graved image is one into stone, ice, wood...etc. a solid that would, as coptmorous said, be worshiped.
  • does a graven image have to be wood and stone? im just asking here im not condeming

i know that some of my anglican friends tell me that they bow down and pray to Mary

is this bad according to the comandments of not putting God first and praying to anyother but God

i know this issue is hard and hits close to home maybe for some of you but at the same time this is a question that i have

NESS<><
  • To add to what's already been said, the answer to that comes right after it:

"You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them." (Exodus 20:4-5)

Plus what has already been said about icons being painted not engraved. But the real purpose was so they didn't worship them; we don't worship icons we venerate them!

Pray for me
  • [quote author=NESS55 link=topic=7352.msg97329#msg97329 date=1226968382]
    does a graven image have to be wood and stone? im just asking here im not condeming

i know that some of my anglican friends tell me that they bow down and pray to Mary

is this bad according to the comandments of not putting God first and praying to anyother but God

i know this issue is hard and hits close to home maybe for some of you but at the same time this is a question that i have

NESS<><

well, am sure many will respond to this. what i know is "worshiping" here is wrong. as you said, it's one of the 10 commandments to worship none but God alone. praying and asking for intersessions is of course different. because you are asking here, the Mother of God, the closest to Jesus Christ and higher then the Cherubim and Seraphim, to (for example), forgive us our sins...etc. same to all the saints.
  • i suppose then my next question whould be what do you mean by intersession like what do you hope will be accomplished by praying to the St? or just ingeneral what are things that you have asked in prayer to the St.

NESS<><
  • [quote author=NESS55 link=topic=7352.msg97334#msg97334 date=1226970570]
    i suppose then my next question whould be what do you mean by intersession like what do you hope will be accomplished by praying to the St? or just ingeneral what are things that you have asked in prayer to the St.

NESS<><

well in general. what would you ask GOD for. As it's clear in our liturgical prayers, the most asked things of God are "forgiveness" and "mercy" (upon our souls)...then there are many other things. we have many litanies, that are basically supplications to God to grant us. Now asking someone who already is there in heaven (really paradise), who have done what's right to do, who is in front of Jesus and have given the promised reward (the current, not fully granted yet, waiting for the DAY); we ask them to put a word for us to HIM. it's that simple. not necessarily asking the saints for specific things to granted from them, which is mostly the wrong understanding of this concept.

I know many there are people who just attack this with the verse that says we only have one Mediator in heaven towards the Father, Jesus our Savior. Which is right...but our saints are mediators (watch the capitalization here), to Jesus and the Holy Trinity, being One Person of the Trinity.

There are many verses and i can get some sermons and ppts about this topic, "intercessions and prayers of saints" towards God.
  • yah it would be nice to have some Bible verse that points to praying to the St

thanx for the clarification it is helpful

NESS<><