Election 08

Comments

• Congratulations to Obama.
    Let's all pray for the best.

Copt Andrew
  • Praise the Lord!

He was well-Spoken tonight (this midnight), let's hope for change... I'm excited!!

Thank God!
  • In an earlier post in the first page, someone said that banning alcohol didn't work. People still drank.
    Actually, the ban worked. It has been shown that alcohol abuse incidence decreases with both availability and visibility. There is no question that abortion would respond in the same manner. However, my reason to have supported Obama, this time, is that the Republicans have failed to make no abortion a real alternative. It has not sustained and supported the family unit. I like the following letter from Frank Schaeffer:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/frank-schaeffer/an-open-letter-to-all-rep_b_127709.html
  • Obama's policies will never pass through Congress. Only 50% of the country supported him.
  • [quote author=coptmorous link=topic=7283.msg96750#msg96750 date=1225894766]
    Obama's policies will never pass through Congress. Only 50% of the country supported him. He will become assasinated.

Are you serious he will be assassinated? by whome??

Do you support him or not?
  • [quote author=coptmorous link=topic=7283.msg96750#msg96750 date=1225894766]
    Obama's policies will never pass through Congress. Only 50% of the country supported him. He will become assasinated.

what are you talking about.....use your mind.
    the Democrats are ahead in the Senate and the House. So technically speaking, they would all agrees or a little easier to deal with.

• [quote author=Hailemikael link=topic=7283.msg96756#msg96756 date=1225902207]
    [quote author=coptmorous link=topic=7283.msg96750#msg96750 date=1225894766]

Are you serious he will be assassinated? by whome??

Do you support him or not?

Alot of people say he will get assassinated because america is racist.  especially the rednecks from the south...but i think thats wrong...as for me i wanted mccain, but...i guess i will learn to accept obama=]

+mahraeel+
  • Earlier in the posts they were talking about drafts, i would like to say that as christians we shouldn't join the army- but if we are called on through a draft we must go, because we shouldn't want to fight these wars, but serving your country God will allow, there are a few verses in the Bible that talk about this and ask some of the priests in your area they will give you or at least should give you the correct info.

As for Obama being assassinated I think we should keep the stupid comments to ourselves.
  • There are only 54 democratic seats halting their dreams of acceptance and ubsurbing the president's veto
  • [quote author=coptmorous link=topic=7283.msg96762#msg96762 date=1225919551]
    There are only 54 democratic seats halting their dreams of acceptance and ubsurbing the president's veto

the point is that there MORE OF THEM there then the republicans. passing of laws is best by the rule of the majority, not necessarily for ALL to agree.

Go study your country's laws and then speak in worthy comments....
  • i agree. democrats have the dominant hand here, both in the house of reps and the senate, almost having a completely democratic ruling congress
    besides, if the vote goes to democratics, the republicans can't waste time for a vote. they'd have to do it asap.
  • Well, now that Obama is president I think he should all be in our prayers for God to guide and protect him. All presidents and world leaders face many risks and challenges so the least we can do is pray that god keeps them under his care. At the end of the day it is the world leaders who make decisions that affect us all so we should pray for them whether we agree with their politics or now.

As someone not living in the United States though, I can say that it's pretty clear most of the rest of the world is impressed by Obama and delighted to see an African-American president of the US. 24 hours on even I find hard to believe. Still, im proud of Barack and inshallah he will always remain one from the people.
  • Go Obama!

But I agree, I think there is a very very big chance that he will be assassinated. Its inevitable. Every black person in America who's tried and succeeded in making a difference has been killed (Martin Luther King, Malcolm X etc...). Good on him though.

I think his incredibly strong win is proof that the world has had enough of the Republicans. As much as electing Obama was revolutionary, it is far more preferable than another George Bush.
    The war in Iraq needs to stop. I don't know how anybody can look at it and not see that it was a terrible, terrible mistake. Look at the situation now, all they've done now is replaced one totalitarian dictatorship with the possibility of 50 others who have been given an opportunity to fight it out for control. But then again, I think it was less of a 'mistake' and more of an intentional blunder. GB said he went in for the WMDs, not really advertising the fact that he was going to start taking the oil in Iraq for America.

At least Obama seems to want to change things, and God knows that things need changing. I would rather have a President who supports abortion and gay marriage but doesn't want to invade Iran.

God keep and guide him
  • Good point epchois nai nan,

America is wasting 10 billion dollars a month just on the war in Iraq.
    That is 120 billion dollars a year. What a waste, wouldn't it of been wiser if they saved that money and put it back to boost up the economy. I mean look at their circumstances now. But I guess they don't do it for nothing. However much they put into the war, they probably make double through petrol.

I am happy that Obama won. He achieved amazing things, and I'm sure he will be good. Even if he's not he'll get assasinated, so don't worry.

You go Obama

Well earned
  • But isn't anyone outraged at the genocide of unborn infants?!

Isn't anyone outraged at the disintegration of the basic unit of society?
  • [quote author=clay link=topic=7283.msg96802#msg96802 date=1225975739]
    But isn't anyone outraged at the genocide of unborn infants?!

It doesn't matter any more. He's there and all we have to do is deal with it.
  • Ah, but if the democrats really wanted everything their way, they would need 60% of Senae to do will in which they were defeated.
    [quote author=epchois_nai_nan link=topic=7283.msg96797#msg96797 date=1225959503]
    Go Obama!

But I agree, I think there is a very very big chance that he will be assassinated. Its inevitable. Every black person in America who's tried and succeeded in making a difference has been killed (Martin Luther King, Malcolm X etc...). Good on him though.

I think his incredibly strong win is proof that the world has had enough of the Republicans. As much as electing Obama was revolutionary, it is far more preferable than another George Bush.
    The war in Iraq needs to stop. I don't know how anybody can look at it and not see that it was a terrible, terrible mistake. Look at the situation now, all they've done now is replaced one totalitarian dictatorship with the possibility of 50 others who have been given an opportunity to fight it out for control. But then again, I think it was less of a 'mistake' and more of an intentional blunder. GB said he went in for the WMDs, not really advertising the fact that he was going to start taking the oil in Iraq for America.

At least Obama seems to want to change things, and God knows that things need changing. I would rather have a President who supports abortion and gay marriage but doesn't want to invade Iran.

God keep and guide him

I would rather face a country such as Iraq, in which a surge would prove positive, than a totally new war in Pakistan, which is even more suicidal than Iraq was. The original invasion of Iraq was only supposed to last 3 months, but the Iraqi terroirists gained followers, and held out using geurilla tactics.  An immeadeate withdrawel will result in an upift of support for the terrorists because their main goal is to ait out on America. We will just have to wait and see if Obama can really lead a country.
  • People defending their country from invaders are not terrorists... I think we all know now who the real terrorist is...
  • I just want to point out that the roe v wade decision in 1973 (which we all as copts obviously disagree with) has been around for 35 years. In those 35 years, we have had 5 republican presidents that have led America for a combined 23 years. None of them, despite their opposition to it, has overturned or gotten close to overturning the decision. Some of them even had a republican majority in the senate and congress. Why no change? Basically I just want to say that a vote for Mccain was not necessarily a vote against abortion anymore than it was when people voted for Bush, Bush Sr, Reagan, et. al 
  • [quote author=aiernovi link=topic=7283.msg96831#msg96831 date=1226021011]
    I just want to point out that the roe v wade decision in 1973 (which we all as copts obviously disagree with) has been around for 35 years. In those 35 years, we have had 5 republican presidents that have led America for a combined 23 years. None of them, despite their opposition to it, has overturned or gotten close to overturning the decision. Some of them even had a republican majority in the senate and congress. Why no change? Basically I just want to say that a vote for Mccain was not necessarily a vote against abortion anymore than it was when people voted for Bush, Bush Sr, Reagan, et. al 

the idea problem was into the congress or the sanate. the goal here was to bring more morals to the SUPREME COURT, which gets to make these decisions....
  • [quote author=clay link=topic=7283.msg96802#msg96802 date=1225975739]

Well, I am much more outraged by the satanic acts of the self-anointed Saint George W Bush , whose illegal adventure  in Iraq  has resulted in the death of ca. 1 million Iraqi civilians so that he and his cronies could satisfy their ego and have their ways. No body talks about that for the spotlight is always on the casualties of US soldiers who in turn have committed untold crimes and atrocities on the defensless civilians in the name of terrorism and liberation from a dictator.Moreover, the dumb president the US and the world  ever saw claims to be a prophet in the service of God ,but the fact is ,in his Texas days he had never ever granted amnesty to convicted criminals who were sentenced to death. I do not see any Christian values here ,but only sheer hypocrisy. Regarding abortion, President-elect Barack Obama has once again highlightened his core christian values in his last presidential debate when he stressed that sexuality is a sacred thing. Not speaking openly against abortion does not define his own faith, but only the doctrine of his party.

• [quote author=minagir link=topic=7283.msg96833#msg96833 date=1226024495]
    [quote author=aiernovi link=topic=7283.msg96831#msg96831 date=1226021011]
    I just want to point out that the roe v wade decision in 1973 (which we all as copts obviously disagree with) has been around for 35 years. In those 35 years, we have had 5 republican presidents that have led America for a combined 23 years. None of them, despite their opposition to it, has overturned or gotten close to overturning the decision. Some of them even had a republican majority in the senate and congress. Why no change? Basically I just want to say that a vote for Mccain was not necessarily a vote against abortion anymore than it was when people voted for Bush, Bush Sr, Reagan, et. al 

the idea problem was into the congress or the sanate. the goal here was to bring more morals to the SUPREME COURT, which gets to make these decisions....

Right, and those presidents during that period also got a chance to choose a number of justices...still no change
  • [quote author=aiernovi link=topic=7283.msg96842#msg96842 date=1226027760]
    Right, and those presidents during that period also got a chance to choose a number of justices...still no change

during their time, these problems were not as famous. It's a reasonable explanation.
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=7283.msg96844#msg96844 date=1226029190]
    [quote author=aiernovi link=topic=7283.msg96842#msg96842 date=1226027760]

during their time, these problems were not as famous. It's a reasonable explanation.

That's actually not true. Rov v Wade was controversial from pretty much the year it was decided. Critics and fans of the decision weighed in almost immediately after the decision. I'm not sure how you can make such a general statement that it wasn't famous. The fact that every president since has been asked about their stance shows that it is in the public's conscience. Why find out their opinion if its not important? That explanation doesn't hold water.
  • [quote author=godislove260 link=topic=7283.msg96827#msg96827 date=1226019843]
    People defending their country from invaders are not terrorists... I think we all know now who the real terrorist is...

I totally agree. Remember people, it was only 52 years ago that Egypt was invaded by 3 foreign powers. Defending ones homeland is not terrorism.[quote author=Hezekiel link=topic=7283.msg96841#msg96841 date=1226027408]
    [quote author=clay link=topic=7283.msg96802#msg96802 date=1225975739]

Well, I am much more outraged by the satanic acts of the self-anointed Saint George W Bush , whose illegal adventure  in Iraq  has resulted in the death of ca. 1 million Iraqi civilians so that he and his cronies could satisfy their ego and have their ways. No body talks about that for the spotlight is always on the casualties of US soldiers who in turn have committed untold crimes and atrocities on the defensless civilians in the name of terrorism and liberation from a dictator.Moreover, the dumb president the US and the world  ever saw claims to be a prophet in the service of God ,but the fact is ,in his Texas days he had never ever granted amnesty to convicted criminals who were sentenced to death. I do not see any Christian values here ,but only sheer hypocrisy. Regarding abortion, President-elect Barack Obama has once again highlightened his core christian values in his last presidential debate when he stressed that sexuality is a sacred thing. Not speaking openly against abortion does not define his own faith, but only the doctrine of his party.

And yeah, I totally agree Hezeikiel. The cronies around Bush wanted to go and invade Iraq from years earlier, and the world knows the evidence for the war was falsified. As for US and non-US troops in Iraq. Well, as far as im concerned I'm the last person to support the troops. Abu ghraib need I say more. Not to mention the countless Iraqi women who have been raped and children orphaned. I've seen more documentaries (on Australian tv) that I can remember on the war in Iraq and the evil conduct of the troops there. If this was Egypt being destroyed, AND OUR COPTIC CHURCHES ruined, well I couldnt imagine being in this world. Yet, this is what is happening to our Arab brothers in Iraq. Their country is ruined and will never be the same again. We should all keep the victims of Iraq in our prayers.
  • yeah. matt88 and Hezeikiel are right. we had no right, the Bush admin made up a right, and now the problem is how r we going to get out of it. also, people in Darfur need more help than Iraq, because Iraq and Iran will never be stable, while there is a genocide south where we r, and that's where we should be.
  • I think most people don't realize something. Most of America was for invading Iraq to begin with as we assumed that they had weapons of mass destruction. Furthermore, the invasion of Iraq was not expected to last more then three months. You also do realize, Hezeihiel, that the American public voted to keep Bush in office for 8 years. George Bush did not proclaim himself President, but was voted to be President. The people of America assumed that he was the best person to lead our country. That is America's fault if it is to be considered a fault. Now we must pray that God will influence President-Elect Obama to make the Christian decisions that this country needs.
  • Black power?
  • [quote author=aiernovi link=topic=7283.msg96831#msg96831 date=1226021011]

My friend, you are sadly mistaken.

There is something called the born alive act, that president Bush signed.
    This act was basically to stop the murder of babies after an abortion failed. Sometimes abortions don't work...and the babies are actually born alive! Now before Bush took office, it was the procedure to kill the babies, who against all odds, survived the abortion. Sometimes the abortionist would even leave the living baby to die in a dumpster. The act that Bush signed prevented this horrible crime from being committed. This has saved countless babies from an untimely and cruel death.

So, it’s true that Bush has not actually stopped abortion but he took a huge step that needed to be taken long ago! Its facts like this that we need to look at....not just roe vs. wade.

I would also like to point out that our President-elect Obama voted against the born alive act 3 times when it was presented to him.

Furthermore, Obama is the most pro-abortion candidate, and some say he is too extreme. In October 2007, Obama voted against banning partial-birth abortions, an issue that many of his democratic colleagues thought was too extreme. Obama said, “The first thing I'd do as president is sign the Freedom of Choice Act."

For those of you that don’t know, the Freedom of Choice Act would completely obliterate every state level abortion law or regulation and even lift the federal ban on partial-birth abortions. Which basically rips the baby apart while its being born.

Unlike you…I have sources to back up my words…

http://www.prochoiceamerica.org/assets/files/Abortion-Access-to-Abortion-FOCA.pdf

More:
    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2008/04/caseys_endorsement_lacks_fathe.html

The first thing he would do is make abortion easier! 13 yr old girls would need their parents consent to get an antibiotic but she can have an abortion without her parents’ knowledge or consent!

I’m sorry…but Obama would not have been the safer choice in this case.
  • You know, as much as I hate saying this, sometimes the ends justify the means. Not always, but sometimes it becomes necessary to do a small evil to do a greater good. I'm not saying abortion is a small evil, its not, but if we don't stop fighting with each other, the inevitable outcome will be nuclear war. I think (again, I know how this sounds) that abortion is preferable to more violence in the Middle East.

The last time America came face to face with a world power with a conflicting ideology, we came THIS close to nuclear war (the Cuban missile crisis). God knows if it could happen then, it could happen now. My point is, yes, the slaughtering of all those innocents is disgusting, but if we continue following the path the Bush set the world on, he outcome could be far worse.

God bless and pray for me