Election 08

Comments

• edited January 2014
    Yes
  • [quote author=Hymnologist link=topic=7283.msg96684#msg96684 date=1225758135]
    Just ask yourself this when voting: Would Jesus vote for this?
    Would Jesus vote for same-sex marriages?
    Would Jesus vote for abortion?
    As Christians we should vote for Christ...

lol.......be ready for an ULTIMATE ATTACK from everyone here.....
    not that i don't agree!!!!!
  • Hezekiel, i totally agree with you. It's so sad to the race issue an issue but it is. I mean, even in Australia I couldnt imagine a non-white person being Prime Minister. Still, I think Obama will get in and it will be a great example for the rest of the world.

Hymnologist, well I can understand what you're saying. Personally, I dont like the idea of abortion (Baba Kyrollos said it's murder) however i've seen Sarah Palin say if a girl is raped or sleeps with a family member she shouldnt have an abortion. For me, well that's a bit much. Then again, to be honest abortion isnt a matter that directly affects or concerns me. However, if my sister was raped (god forbid) i would entirely support her having an abortion.

As for same-sex marriage, well there's no way homosexuals should be allowed to get married in the church, however again it's a matter that doesnt directly affect me.

As President Carter said of President Bush "I don't have any doubt that he is very sincere about his Christian faith," Carter said of Bush. "There are some differences in interpretation. ... I have a commitment to worship the Prince of Peace, not the prince of pre-emptive war. I believe that Christ taught us to give special attention to the plight of the poor."

So then, I could ask would Christ be for war or peace? Caring for the poor or rich? Arguments could be made for both sides..
  • honestly ill be flat out honest, McCain supports more christian values. if you research the issues you'll find that according to our christian morals we McCain would be a nice president, of course, we all have different opinions.
  • Well, it's all open for debate. I think on clear religious issues he takes the overtly Christian stance, however on other real issues (like the poor, starting a war - let's not forget McCain was the one that said "bomb bomb Iran" -) Obama is more of a Christian.

Anyway, it comes back to what godislove260 said at the start. You're free to take that line, but dont come complaining that Egypt is a Muslim country, with Sharia a major source of law and the Muslim Brotherhood the biggest opposition movement. Muslims in Egypt are doing the same as you - looking out for their religion and trying to have it promoted in government. Even then, Egypt is more justified as a Muslim country given that 90% of the population is Muslim and only 71% of Americans recognise themselves as Christian.

We could even expand the debate from Muslim/Christian values to simply "humanist ideals" (caring for the poor, education for all etc) and I believe Obama would thump McCain.
  • [quote author=Hisservant link=topic=7283.msg96688#msg96688 date=1225764989]
    honestly ill be flat out honest, McCain supports more christian values. if you research the issues you'll find that according to our christian morals we McCain would be a nice president, of course, we all have different opinions.

But what Im trying to tell u is that McCain supports the war in Iraq (which is illegal) and Obama supports abortion. Both are wrong. You might as well elect the president based on how funny his jokes are.
  • how is the war illegal? he is helping us...

+mahraeel+
  • [quote author=mahraeel link=topic=7283.msg96703#msg96703 date=1225821919]
    how is the war illegal? he is helping us...

+mahraeel+

Mahraell, please read the comments below where about 5 posters explained in depth why the war was morally wrong. The US has lost international respect over this war. The Iraqis have asked for the US forces to leave, and have manifested in the streets against the US led invasion in their country.

• [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=7283.msg96704#msg96704 date=1225825542]
    [quote author=mahraeel link=topic=7283.msg96703#msg96703 date=1225821919]

+mahraeel+

Mahraell, please read the comments below where about 5 posters explained in depth why the war was morally wrong. The US has lost international respect over this war. The Iraqis have asked for the US forces to leave, and have manifested in the streets against the US led invasion in their country.

And it violated the UN Charter.
  • [quote author=matt88 link=topic=7283.msg96705#msg96705 date=1225833105]
    [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=7283.msg96704#msg96704 date=1225825542]
    [quote author=mahraeel link=topic=7283.msg96703#msg96703 date=1225821919]

+mahraeel+

And it violated the UN Charter.

And Koffi Annan wasn't happy about it. And look at how stupid Bush is:

In fact,  look how stupid americans are:

- Mina - do you agree with this girl?
  • I understand.. But Bush was trying to kill the terrorists before they came to America.

+mahraeel+
  • [quote author=mahraeel link=topic=7283.msg96707#msg96707 date=1225837861]
    I understand.. But Bush was trying to kill the terrorists before they came to America.

+mahraeel+

That doesn't make anything better, Bush is by far one of the worst presidents the country has elected. The only reason he was re-elected was that people felt that he needed to finish what he started, he failed simple as that. If the Democrats think that they will be able to pull out of Iraq right away they are decieving voters, It will take time. Whats done is done, All we can hope for is that the next president of this country, whether its McCain or Obama, is able to rectify the situation we are in and pull us out of this financial crisis that has befallen the world.
  • yet obama plans to go to Pakistan for bin laden, which is pretty much suicide, but mccain wants to stay in iraq, which i dont want because that could mean that i'd be drafted into the war. and trust me, i dont want to go to war.
  • Obama fever in Egypt! Smart people give smart reasons why Obama is the choice.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/politics/2008/11/04/vo.il.obama.votes.cnn
  • wat do u mean?
  • Ok people, my brother got me into this, and I say that we stay on the fact that the church approves of one man moreso than the other because he shares our beliefs. As it is the night of the election, we must contemplate about this. Obama's $250,000 dollar tax cut will never be passed as each Congressman makes more than $250,000 a year. Now who in their God blessed mind would agree to that?! Would one person raise taxes for themselves to better the country? No as the people running our government are greedy and corrupt. The higher taxes imposed on the rich, makes them work harder for the poor lazy man in the street in order to work for the same kind of income he received prior to the election. This will also cause the laying off of many workers, sending the unemployed population skyward. Make your choices wisely and do what God would do for the betterment of the country.
  • yet it's up to God on who our next pres is, and we'll never think like God; He'll decide.
  • [quote author=Coptic Orthodox Musician link=topic=7283.msg96711#msg96711 date=1225839558]
    yet obama plans to go to Pakistan for bin laden, which is pretty much suicide, but mccain wants to stay in iraq, which i dont want because that could mean that i'd be drafted into the war. and trust me, i dont want to go to war.

There is such a small chance that they will initiate a draft that that should not be an issue
  • yet it has happened before, and there's a pretty good chance it'll happen again if we dont stop all our wars soon.
  • [quote author=Coptic Orthodox Musician link=topic=7283.msg96718#msg96718 date=1225840414]
    yet it has happened before, and there's a pretty good chance it'll happen again if we dont stop all our wars soon.

The last draft occurred in World War II, which is when the woman of the US came to take over men's jobs. a Surge would be the best way to finish in Iraq. A draft only happens with those who are physically fit any. R u?
  • if by the president's standards, YES i am. and that's a risk that i am not willing to take.
  • "Blessed is the man who lays down his life for his friends" -Jesus Christ
  • yet i am not a gunsmen. i'll be a medical aid, or a technician, but if anything, i'd be a problem on that battlefield if u know my history. plus, youth have a lot more oppurtunities to be a help to the world compared to mccain who (if starts drafting) will make u another statistic for the death count.
  • [quote author=mahraeel link=topic=7283.msg96707#msg96707 date=1225837861]
    I understand.. But Bush was trying to kill the terrorists before they came to America.

+mahraeel+

But there were no "terrorists" from Iraq who wanted to attack America. Iraq had no links to 9/11.

As for there being a draft in the US, well it wont happen. I havent heard anyone in the media, an academic, or politician seriously say that a draft may happen.
  • Ah, but the greatest joy is to know that you died in a win for all of those you love in your country. Enjoying  the satisfaction of dying for Christ is the ultimate experience. Then y are you complaining about a draft?
  • [quote author=coptmorous link=topic=7283.msg96730#msg96730 date=1225841440]
    Ah, but the greatest joy is to know that you died in a win for all of those you love in your country. Enjoying  the satisfaction of dying for Christ is the ultimate experience. Then y are you complaining about a draft?

Are you joking or being serious? As a Copt in Australia, I would never sacrifice my life for Australia, or serve in the Australian military for that matter. I wouldnt be willing to put myself at risk for Australia.

As for dying for Christ, well that's another story and something I think any of us here would be happy to do.
  • I really don't think dying in a Country such as Iraq or Afghanistan has anything to do with dying for God...

unless you take the verse litelarly and like Jump on top of a grenade to save your friends
  • Barak Obama eleceted U.S. president.

I'm so happy!
  • May God help Him to rule this country and direct it in the proper way.
    May This Country stay Christian as it always has been.

Congratulation to all of us & lets hope for some changes

Please pray for me
  • Martin Luther king was killed in 1968. Just hours before he was assasinated he said in a speech, 'I have been to the mountain top and the Lord has shown me the promised land,but I may not get there with you ".Hours later, he wad dead. Many people think,that was very prophetic. It took the Israelis exactly 40 years to reach the Promised land. The Lord did not allow Moses to enter the promisid land,but he showed him from the mountain top. Exactly 40 years later, the words of the great Martin Luther king did materilize and Obama has conquered the promised land.

Watch MLKing's last speech here:

Tonight, I am so exceptionally HAPPY.

'The Lord lifts up the humble, he casts the proud down to the ground'."He raises the poor out of the dust and lifts the needy out of the ash heaps,so that He may sit him with Princes--with the princes of His people'

May the Good Lord guide him.