Swearing?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Aghaby everyone,  :D
okay so i understand swearing is wrong....BUt why exactly?  I never really understood why ??? ???  I just knew it was wrong

So, is saying I swear to God bad as just saying I swear? Yahni ur not using God's name in vain right?

IS saying I Promise to God a sin????
I have always been confused by this.  Thanks in advance :)

+mahraeel+

Comments

• read The epistle of St. James... He sais stuff about the tongue is a very "powerful"  little muscle
  • LOl i read that but it doesnt explain why swearing is wrong? ANd all the other questions i asked in my previos post...

+mahraeel+
  • M,

Swearing is wrong, because :

Matthew 5:33-37

"Again you have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not swear falsely, but shall perform your oaths to the Lord.’  But I say to you, do not swear at all: neither by heaven, for it is God’s throne; nor by the earth, for it is His footstool; nor by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King.  Nor shall you swear by your head, because you cannot make one hair white or black.  But let your ‘Yes’ be ‘Yes,’ and your ‘No,’ ‘No.’ For whatever is more than these is from the evil one"
  • wait, do you mean swear as in say bad words or swear as in like a promise type of thing?
  • [quote author=coptic pharaoh link=topic=7276.msg96416#msg96416 date=1225157477]
    wait, do you mean swear as in say bad words or swear as in like a promise type of thing?

I think she means swearing an oath, for swearing words or cursing can never be right under any circumstances.
  • Imean like if someone says something to you and they don't believe you and you say: "i swear"  or "i swear to God"

Sometimes I say "i promise to God" is that wrong too?? please thanks guyzzz :o :o :o

+mahraeel+
  • [quote author=Hezekiel link=topic=7276.msg96413#msg96413 date=1225155885]

"Again you have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not swear falsely, but shall perform your oaths to the Lord.’  But I say to you, do not swear at all: neither by heaven, for it is God’s throne; nor by the earth, for it is His footstool; nor by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King.  Nor shall you swear by your head, because you cannot make one hair white or black.  But let your ‘Yes’ be ‘Yes,’ and your ‘No,’ ‘No.’ For whatever is more than these is from the evil one"

No, you can not promise to GOD, or Swear to GOD.... Just let your word be your bond
  •     mahraeel,

I believe that Hezekiel posted the passage that best explicates the pretentiousness of swearing either in realtion to God or in a very general sense. The New Testament is profoundly rich with logically consistent reasoning, and as Christ is the incarnate Logos, Himself, one should expect to find such consistency in reasoning riddled throughout the gospels. As such, let me help to illuminate the situation briefly, but concisely. As Christ renounces swearing he initiates with the condition "But I say to you, do not swear at all" and then segways into the faculties embodying such an invariable condition ": neither by heaven, for it is God’s throne; nor by the earth, for it is His footstool; nor by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. Nor shall you swear by your head, because you cannot make one hair white or black." Here, Christ delineates three possible domains in which swearing can occur. He then introduces the cumulative reality of holiness, Heaven itself where all decrees of truth are established for a soldified affirmation of the nonsensical nature of swearing.

For, the act of swearing presumes an assumption of certainty on the part of a particular truth claim. However, in a domain where all truths are decreed as absolute, certainty is already reestablished by the Divine Himself. Swearing then becomes extraneous and unintelligible. Christ then goes on to establish the only other preset domain of physicality by which one may swear, Earth itself. Yet, here God reminds His people of His providentially. For if in Heaven God is completely sovereign, then is He not also in complete control of our meager planet we but barley manage to survive upon? He is in utter control and that same pre-established certainty breaches even to the very corners of this planet’s entirety. So, the initial precursor of truth is applicable even to our world, which Christ enjoins as but the mere footstool for God's indiminishable presence.

Secondly, Christ evokes a nexus from all possible physical realms of truth, to the human mind itself. Predicated by the analogy of the holy city, Jerusalem, is the often misshaped notion that thrpugh our own identities we can affirm or deny something with absolute certainty. Jerusalem, here is representative of affiliation with the righteous city and in that affiliation the egocentricity of our own "pious selves". An individual who would swear by the Holy City would implicitly swear by his affiliation to that city, perhaps unconsciously asserting himself as righteous enough so as to ordain certainty of any given truth claim. However, such a proclamation on truth is facetiously established. For, if all creatures are but finite beings, how is it then that they alone can assert a truth claim with infinite absoluteness? Incisively, Christ reminds us that it is only via our God-given rational faculties, that we are able to claim any sense of certainty. So the individual who swears on the basis of his own identity, invoked by an affiliation to Jerusalem, is foolish since our very identities are themselves dependent upon God's life-giving grace.

Finally, Christ transitions to that the individual who swears by his physical self and demonstrates that such persons partake of even greater foolishness than if they were to swear by the first three possible paradigms. (Notice the annunciated gradualism from best possible logic to worst in the text. Further, notice the broken pause the reader must take when reaching the final of the four choices as is evident by the initiation of a new sentence) The individual who swears by the physical self or by any shade of the material world, is of great destitute since the material world is ultimately a whimsically fading node of reality. Christ goes on to say, for even the hairs on our head are numbered by God and the control over their constitutional makeup reach far beyond our grasp. Thus, the concept of swearing falls prey to the wolves of logical incoherence in every set of possible paradigms. Ultimately, when one breaches into the austere magnificence of such a passage, one welcomes the notion that in all things God is ultimately and providentially sovereign. As such, those who swear either by heavenly, terrestrial-based, psychological, or even physical domains decry against God's providentially outstretched arms and ultimate control. There is an implicit denouncement in swearing that unsuccessfully and dumbfounded aims to reduce the eminence of God into a finite spectacle of man’s contemplation. So long as God providentially orders our univesrse and all of its facets, swearing becomes a cry against the very outstreched arms of God's unlimited control.
  • So is it a sin for you to swear in court. ??? ??? Bcause they make you swear...
    :-\  ON the bible :o

Thanks is advance ;D ;) :)
    +mahraeel+
  • I heard that it was okay to do so. But I would like someone to confirm it.
  • ohh okaaay thankss

+mahraeel+
  • God also told us that we we should follow the rules of which we are in... so its not a sin. We cant just not do it, and end up in more situations if your in court
  • If we used the NAme of the Lord to swear about everything, and whatever, then that would be using His name in Vain(if we do not fulfill the promise) also, it will become like a by-word on your tongue and you will say it when you don't mean it... it will lose its "power"... u get what i mean? Like at school i hear swearing, and these people ususally don't actually mean what they are saying, they just say it, because they got so used to it...ex: they droped something, their first reaction is *SWEAR(bad language)*  so if we used the Lord's name to promise, it will become senceless....
    you see what i am getting at?
  • lol its the same with my other topic kinda.  like people don't realize that they are saying "Oh my God".  You know what i mean. yeaaa thankss=)

+mahraeel+
  • [quote author=Ηεζεκιελ link=topic=7276.msg96413#msg96413 date=1225155885]
    M,

Swearing is wrong, because :

this verse you should try remember "Nor shall you swear by your head, because you cannot make one hair white or black.  But let your ‘Yes’ be ‘Yes,’ and your ‘No,’ ‘No.’ For whatever is more than these is from the evil one" this part kinda sums up why you shouldn't. Also, it means that people should trust you enough to let you just say yes, or no and they should be able to believe what your saying instead of always, i swear to god, i promise to god, etc...
  • I agree with deaconmark123, if you always say the truth to begin with, then people wouldn't question it when you say the world is on fire (im exaggerating, but you get my point). Just keep telling the truth and there will be no need for "i swear/promise"

Ever heard of the boy who cried wolf.. yeah its pretty much just like that. If people keep noticing that you tell lies (im not actually referring to you, but oneself in general) then even if you say i swear, there will be no effect to that. They already lost their trust in you... so don't learn from the boy who cried wolf.. ;)
  • yea..i understand..but thats not my point.  just if someone said u promise? like that..doesnt have to mean i am lying

+mahraeel+
  • why say it to begin with? like i said before.. they should be able to trust you enough, so no NEED for i promise. Also the Bible says its wrong.. so I don't think you should question it anymore..
  • umm. its nit wrong to just say "i promise"

+mahraeel+
  • yes it is!

Do you see?!
  • im sorry but i dont understand.  God said let ur yes be your yes and your no be your no.  So, dont swear and dont say maybe. etc...

We have covered that saying "I promise to God" is wrong and a sin.

but saying i promise?

there is nothing wrong with that!

i dont understand....we r letting people noe taht we r for instance going to do soemthing for sure..wat is wrong with that.  im sure everybody tells people tehy promise tehy will do this or do that etc....

+mahraeel+
  • Just because everyone is doing it doesn't mean its ok, like Tεκcoνι μέσα Πεχριcτoc quoted from Matthew, Let your yes be yes and your no be no, there is no gray spot saying only if you want to assure someone you can promise/swear/whatever. It said LET YOUR YES BE YES AND YOUR NO BE NO what is it that you don't understand??
  • it doesnt matter who you promise to! I promise has the same affect as I promise to God (except the ur also using his name in vain). I dont think you read the whole verse.. read it again!!

"But I say to you, do not swear at all: neither by heaven, for it is God’s throne; nor by the earth, for it is His footstool; nor by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King.  Nor shall you swear by your head, because you cannot make one hair white or black."

you see? you cannot promise ANYTHING! you dont know the future!! how can you say I promise I will do this or that? Do you control that? ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN.. and you can end up not living up to ur promise and THATS A SIN! So just say en sha allah....

• there is nothing wrong with me not understanding.  everyones' brain is limited. so please can u please stop yelling?  Sorry for being rude

If you do promises that you can keep then it should b all right.
    I mean dont promise that you will be there in ten min.  becuz u dont noe what happens until then

For me, i havent broken a promise in a while.  And i always think b4 i promise something and believe it or not, it has worked out fine and i always think of teh consequences.  and u noe wat? i havent been breaking or condemning it.  so i think that is fine..
    i dont think that verse implies to promises.  promises r meant to be kept.  if u dont know the future then dont promise.  if its something u can handle, i honestly dont see what is wrong with this..

i dont say i promise i will get a 100 because i dont noe how hard it is. 
    but i can say i promise i will eat my whole plate.  becuz even if ur full, u can force urself to eat.  yes, iu cam throw up but lets not get off guard.

u arent judes

Jesus is

i shall ask my FOC and see what he says about this

+mahraeel+
  • I was not yelling, i only meant for you to clarify what you didn't understand, i'm sorry if i came off that way but i was just asking what exactly is it you don't understand? There really are no gray spots in that, If you can for sure keep your promises by all means go for it, but its better not too. I'm in no way judging you and if i came off that way i'm very sorry. At this point, just do what you feel is comfortable, none of us are priests on here and all of us can only give you limited advice based on what we've learned. If you are really questioning this, than yes going to your FOC will be best.

God Bless and Pray for me and my weakness
  • Im sorry for sounding rude before.. but i just wanted to add.. what can YOU handle without God? Nothing! Ok lets use that example (eating the whole plate) what if u saw a worm in it.. will u still finish it? you promised! See what I mean.. say en sha allah I will finish my food.. don't promise because REALLY you cannot handle anything without God. We are nothing!
  • its okay guys sorry if i sounded rude myself.

okayy i understand what you mean.  but, i dont think it is a sin.  tahts what im trying to say. 

+mahraeel+
  • Mahraeel, take it up with your FOC if you are that concerned, like i said, nothing we say is definite so there is no point in arguing further.
  • I agree with ΙΙδιακον!
  • [quote author=mahraeel link=topic=7276.msg98321#msg98321 date=1229279426]
    yea..i understand..but thats not my point.  just if someone said u promise? like that..doesnt have to mean i am lying

+mahraeel+

haha lol well thats why i said....they shouldnt even need to say "you promise", "you swear". when you say yes to them, then that should be the swear.