Deacons service book

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
Hay i was thinking about ordering a deacons service book (khedmit el shamac) and i was wondering which one you'd recommend and i'd like one with a psalmody.

[coptic]ty, GB[/coptic]

Comments

• u can get the big book by albair mikhail its very nice the new edition is great
  • my dad has it, but i cant read arabic :(
  • If you can read arabic, albeir's book is good but no khedmit el shamas has a psalmody in it. The Southern Diocese has been working on one for a while that has all 3 languages, should be as good or better than albeirs
  • [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=7237.msg95975#msg95975 date=1224544257]
    If you can read arabic, albeir's book is good but no khedmit el shamas has a psalmody in it. The Southern Diocese has been working on one for a while that has all 3 languages, should be as good or better than albeirs

any idea when it will be released?
  • Well they say it was sent to the printing press a while back so God willing within the next year or so
  • [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=7237.msg95977#msg95977 date=1224544553]
    Well they say it was sent to the printing press a while back so God willing within the next year or so

great! any other suggestions?
  • [quote author=abanoub2000 link=topic=7237.msg95974#msg95974 date=1224544190]
    my dad has it, but i cant read arabic :(

you can get the muallem Farag one for now...yes it's arabic, but it's easy to follow....atleast until the southern's diocese books comes out.
    Albair's book is just tooo bug for nothing....it's have everything, including doxologies and verses of cymbals and many madaieh, but to me that's not really that important. because for doxologies and verses of cymbals, you have the Psalmody, for madaieh, you have madaieh book. so putting all of that is one book is just taking worthless space to just fill a book....so it's all business....

also i would never use Albair's book as a primary source.....sorry, but that's just ME....the sinful and weak.
  • lol, i have it... its HUGE... (perhaps huge is an understatement) its super heavy too... i personally can't see any deacon standing n Church with the new one....
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=7237.msg96018#msg96018 date=1224554137]
    [quote author=abanoub2000 link=topic=7237.msg95974#msg95974 date=1224544190]
    my dad has it, but i cant read arabic :(

you can get the muallem Farag one for now...yes it's arabic, but it's easy to follow....atleast until the southern's diocese books comes out.
    Albair's book is just tooo bug for nothing....it's have everything, including doxologies and verses of cymbals and many madaieh, but to me that's not really that important. because for doxologies and verses of cymbals, you have the Psalmody, for madaieh, you have madaieh book. so putting all of that is one book is just taking worthless space to just fill a book....so it's all business....

also i would never use Albair's book as a primary source.....sorry, but that's just ME....the sinful and weak.

Do you know if i can order it online?
  • where can i get muallem farag's book>

• Mahaba bookshop in egypt
  • [quote author=Tishori link=topic=7237.msg96086#msg96086 date=1224623708]
    http://www.orthodoxbookstore.org/khedmitel-shamasserviceofdeacons2ndedition.aspx

sankis betar but it is arabic!
  • I have that same one... a friend got it for me from Deir El Baramos i believe (it came in a Deir el Baramos bag... )
  • The point of Albair's book is for use as a reference, not for you to hold it and use it in church.  That's why he puts EVERYTHING, even the old hymns that nobody knows or whose tunes have died out.  The only reason for putting them in there is to preserve the text of the hymn.  A book that size is definitely not intended to be used in church when singing hymns.  Personally, I like to memorize everything so that in church I don't have to hold any book.  It's just easier for me, but that's just my opinion.
  • good point... i guess it is just a reference for Alhan, not intended to be used in everyday Church activity....
  • Mina Girgis, I'm just curious, but why don't you trust Albair's book? For all I've been taught, it's the most accurate hymns book out there. That's how I've always regarded it. And I listened to a great interview with Albair on copticheritage.org and he seems to be extremely knowledge. So I'm just curious, what are your reasons for not trusting the book?
  • [quote author=user00 link=topic=7237.msg96167#msg96167 date=1224725720]
    Mina Girgis, I'm just curious, but why don't you trust Albair's book? For all I've been taught, it's the most accurate hymns book out there. That's how I've always regarded it. And I listened to a great interview with Albair on copticheritage.org and he seems to be extremely knowledge. So I'm just curious, what are your reasons for not trusting the book?

i am not against Albair or what he knows. I know he's a great leader and he leads a great choir.....it's just am a more of conservative person. i take the original sources to be my primary source in everything. if i can't, then i go for what's available. i have the 1st edition and waiting for the second.....but that doesn't mean i'll leave all of my other books (and i i do have some other ones).....and FULLY, with blinded eyes just follow this!!!!

also i have spoke to him before,spoke to ppl from the chorus before, many would be reading this right now......and i some times i feel like this is being taken more of a "business" rather then a full service.....this is of course not CLEAR for everyone and i am not planning to talk about this to not hurt anyone.....it's just my own opinion....i have the right to keep it.

btw, he edited some of the glorification parts that are greek....to maybe make sense.....i havn't read them yet in the new edition....but personally i don't like that move...
  • i agree with mina i bought all of the HCOC cds from their site and i bought their first edition book a while back and i like albair and he knows very much but when it comes to certain hymns or ertain things u want to learn stick to ur sources then check wats available. and yeh i dont like it when things get changed around according to waht a person thinks
  • Albair's book is good except for Coptic-Arabic letter!, only if it use Coptic letter in Coptic and Arabic translation in Arabic letter.
    personally I don't like Coptic-Arabic letter at all.
  • [quote author=gergesezzat link=topic=7237.msg96382#msg96382 date=1225130309]
    Albair's book is good except for Coptic-Arabic letter!, only if it use Coptic letter in Coptic and Arabic translation in Arabic letter.
    personally I don't like Coptic-Arabic letter at all.

well it's just a concept we have to deal with for those who don't know how to read coptic. same to english-coptic.

i personally only use it for the purpose of teaching kids hymns, only until they take the classes to read coptic, or for visitors who really can't read coptic and have never heard it.
  • http://www.orthodoxbookstore.org/coptichymns-1.aspx

i was thinking about getting this one until the one with 3 languages comes out, what do you think?
  • i think i sae that one at my Church.... its all hymns i think... like no Rites or anything... i am not too sure though....
  • [quote author=coptic pharaoh link=topic=7237.msg96386#msg96386 date=1225132420]
    i think i sae that one at my Church.... its all hymns i think... like no Rites or anything... i am not too sure though....

not ALL the hymns are there....
  • I have the brown book... it has quite a few errors and missing hymns...

It's ok, not great

Instead, you might want to try this one:
    http://www.orthodoxbookstore.org/thedeaconsserviceandthevespersandmatinsprayers.aspx
  • [quote author=user00 link=topic=7237.msg96394#msg96394 date=1225142792]
    I have the brown book... it has quite a few errors and missing hymns...

It's ok, not great

Instead, you might want to try this one:
    http://www.orthodoxbookstore.org/thedeaconsserviceandthevespersandmatinsprayers.aspx

that one looks good, so is this one english and coptic?
  • I'm positive it has English and Coptic, I think it has Arabic, and it might even have Coptic written in English...
  • As far as i know, the little brown one has English, Coptic and Coptic written in English. No Arabic as far as I know. Has most hymns in it, no real rites. I really like it; small and easy to use in church.

Matthew