English to Coptic Translator???

Hi guys :)

Does anyone know of a good English to Coptic and vice versa translator or dictionary? I'm currently trying to teach myself Coptic so I can understand Coptic hymns and prayers but I often come across some words where the meaning isn't clear, or sometimes if I'm translating something from English to Coptic I run into heaps of words I don't know. I have a Coptic Lexicon but that is arranged in Coptic alphabetical order, which makes it impossible to find a specific English word. Anyone of anything that could help? Preferably a website or something electronic where you can put a word in and have it translated from either English or Coptic.

Thanks for your time.

God bless

Comments

• [quote author=epchois_nai_nan link=topic=7179.msg95082#msg95082 date=1223185952]
    Hi guys :)

Does anyone know of a good English to Coptic and vice versa translator or dictionary? I'm currently trying to teach myself Coptic so I can understand Coptic hymns and prayers but I often come across some words where the meaning isn't clear, or sometimes if I'm translating something from English to Coptic I run into heaps of words I don't know. I have a Coptic Lexicon but that is arranged in Coptic alphabetical order, which makes it impossible to find a specific English word. Anyone of anything that could help? Preferably a website or something electronic where you can put a word in and have it translated from either English or Coptic.

Thanks for your time.

God bless

i haven't seen any sufficient ones. but you can always search of the words on the text library: http://tasbeha.org/hymn_library/
    look at the word carefully of the hymns you find and am sure you'll get some kind of an idea of the hymns.

this is not easy....so it'll take some time and work.
  • [coptic]`P=[=cnainan pamenrit>
    ouwrp nyi `mpekmour `nulyktronuky `n]] `mmok `noulexikon `nAigyptoc `e ]metAggelia[/coptic]
    Send me your electronic link (e-mail) to give you a Coptic to English dictionary
    [coptic]`k`souwrp nyi `mmof `n,wp hiten paima`nnat[/coptic]
    You can send me it personally through this website
    [coptic]oujai qen `P=[=c[/coptic]
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=7179.msg95183#msg95183 date=1223414571]
    [coptic]`P=[=cnainan pamenrit>
    ouwrp nyi `mpekmour `nulyktronuky `n]] `mmok `noulexikon `nAigyptoc `e ]metAggelia[/coptic]
    Send me your electronic link (e-mail) to give you a Coptic to English dictionary
    [coptic]`k`souwrp nyi `mmof `n,wp hiten paima`nnat[/coptic]
    You can send me it personally through this website

i can i get it to...please??
  • i second that, please!
  • That goes for me too please.....
  • again.....excuse the space...
  • [coptic]Namenra] tyrou>
    `P=[=c efecmou teten`cpoudy qen jin[wnt `nteten[i`cbw ]metrem`n<ymi. Hina ]ouws `nsini `nten;ynou `ntetenouwrp nyi petenmour `nulyktronikoc> ie ouwrp nyi `n,wp ebolhiten pamour `nulyktronikoc@[/coptic] [email protected]
    Dear all,
    God bless your enthusiasm in trying to learn the Coptic language. Then I ask you to send me your e-mails, or send me privately on my e-mail: [email protected]
    [coptic]ouontai hanke,wouni ete nai hanref]tot ne qen tenjin[i`cbw tyrou[/coptic]
    I have other things which are helpful in our learning all of us
  • Wow that looks great! I'll send u an email promptly

Thanks!

God bless
  • [coptic]Namenra] tyrou>
    `n]ounou naikw] ebol oute na,wouni aijimi `noulexikon ete vai ]rem`n<ymi e ]rem`nFranca ouoh ]`staouof evuetqairwous pe[/coptic]
    Dear all,
    While I was searching among my things I found a dictionary which is Coptic French and I can send it to who is interested
  • i want the english one pzl, u knw my email right? ;)
  • plz send this to me as well my email is [email protected]
  • Can you send it to me too please?
    Thank you and God bless you.
  • edited December 2013
    dear mayroun123, please send me straight on my email address or pm me your email address..
    oujai
  • pm me please
    god bless you
    thank you
  • Dear meensasamy, I'm not sure if you're talking to me.. you could also pm me your email address or email me straightaway and I'll send the files when I'm less busy.. I'm just very busy these days.. 
    Oujai
  • I too am interested in an English to Coptic translator or dictionary.  My email is: [email protected]

Many thanks.
  • If anyone is a coder this idea would make an awesome android or iOS app.
  • It is not going to work as you might think. There are already dictionaries available online. An artificial translator is not going to work for Coptic for the following reasons.
    1. Coptic does not have a lot of modern words. There is no universally acceptable word for email, internet, computer, etc. When someone wants the Coptic equivalent of these words, you'll either get a blank or a Greek word, or some word that is not fully understandable. In other words, artificial translation works for modern languages, not archaic ones.
    2. All artificial translators cannot handle complex grammar. When I try to translate German, French or Italian with Google or Bing, the result would be considered bad English. You can only go so far with artificial translators. Because Coptic is an agglutinating language, translations will be based on proper identification of phonemes within a word. For example, say you wanted to translate ⲛ̀ⲧⲉϥⲁⲣⲉϩ (entefareh), meaning that he may guard. The translator needs to recognize ⲛ̀ⲧⲉϥ/entef is ⲛ̀ⲧⲉ/ente (causative verb form) + ϥ/f (3rd person singular) + verb (ⲁⲣⲉϩ/areh), not ⲛ̀ⲧⲉ/ente (genitive) + ϥⲁⲣⲉϩ/fareh (3rd person singular present with verb areh, meaning "he guards"). Agglutinating languages don't work well for automatic translators. 
    3. In Coptic there are multiple orthograms due to linguistic inventory. So a word with the Coptic letter "ou" may have an equivalent spelling with "b" and both are correct.  For example, ⲃⲟⲛ ⲛⲓⲃⲉⲛ and ⲟⲩⲟⲛ ⲛⲓⲃⲉⲛ are the same nominative phrase, literally meaning "there is/are all" or simply "everyone".

The main reason I don't like automatic translators is because it takes people out of the picture. The whole point of language is for people to communicate. I think it is better to ask for a translation from a person. It helps the person asking and the person responding in many ways. It may also help passers passing by who would benefit from the discussion. 
  • also try lexicity.com
  • „Coptic Dictionary“ Free iPhone/iPad
    https://appsto.re/at/w0yQV.i