what's its meaning?

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
what does the cross mean to you? 

to me it means salvation, love, hope, etc.....i would like to see your comments so i could learn more=))

+mahraeel+

Comments

• Salvation, love, victory, a royal throne for the King, armor of the spirit.
  • Protection from the devil
  • what exactly do u mean by armer of spirit?

+mahraeel+
  • the cross is a spiritual weapon and protection for the spirit! ;)
  • Victory and salvation...authority over Satan and temptation...there's so many different ways that you can look at the cross

Matthew
  • o.O okayy thanksss :D

thanks Matt!!
    lol i noe theres different ways u could look at the cross, thats why i asked for what u thught.  haha lol
    +mahraeel+
  • Lol sorry, I wasn't clear. What I meant is that there's so many different feelings I have about it that I can't express it in words :P I like that "armour of the spirit" though, very nice.

There's one line in the Liturgy of St Gregory that always makes me think of the cross (although I know it's very vaguely related) where the priest says "You have turned my punishment into salvation". The fact that such a horrible, painful thing such as the cross can be turned into a beacon of hope and victory is just WOW. Can you imagine how hopeless the disciples must have felt at the time of the crucifixion? It's ironic that the same cross is what we now revere as a source of hope and salvation!

haha I said that I'm useless at expressing my feelings, but I hope at least some of what I've said is readable :P

Matthew
  • [quote author=LondonCopt link=topic=7178.msg95077#msg95077 date=1223163462]
    There's one line in the Liturgy of St Gregory that always makes me think of the cross (although I know it's very vaguely related) where the priest says "You have turned my punishment into salvation".

Yea I agree with LondonCopt...Until Christians started using it the way we do, the cross was the symbol of a curse. That's why they hung criminals on them, as a final humiliation. So to me, the Cross is a sign of change. Its a reminder that everything in the world completely turned on its head the moment Jesus died. How death turned into life, how the Immortal Son of God was killed, how the devil lost his power. So yeah it means love (that Jesus died for us), it means victory (over Satan's hold on humanity), it also symbolises the way that we have given up the world and 'carry our crosses' so to speak and it reminds us of the pain and humiliation that Jesus suffered on the Cross. It means a lot!

• The cross, to me, is the ultimate proof of the strength of God's love for humanity...
  • sry londoncopt haha my badd.... o.O  i like that example>>thxx

+mahraeel+
  • Hi all

I agree with all of you

I heard something about why we do the sign of the cross that way (up, down left right)

We start the sign of the cross on the top of our head then down
    This represents that Jesus Christ came down from heaven to earth for our sake

From left to right : He brought us from His left side (the people who will go to hell will be on His left side) to His right side (The people who will go to Heaven with our Lord Gd and Savior Jesus Christ will be on his right )

Just wanted to share

Pray for us

ebnyasoo3
  • heyy ebnyasoo3 thanks for sharing that=) i never knew that haha lol thanksss

+mahraeel+
  • Gives courage and strength to the things I fear
  • Protection nd guide against worldy desires/temptations  perhaps thats an example?....

+mahraeel+
  • Protection and salvation
  • yeaa lol

+mahraeel+