Is it sinful to preach in Saudi Arabia?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
They say that the persecution in Saudi Arabia is immense, greater even than Egypt. It is illegal to practice any religion but islam, and preaching is usually punishable by death. If someone, knowing this, went to preach Christianity there and was killed, would he be considered a martyr? Or would this kind of preaching be considered wrong since its almost like suicide?

Comments

• if that's the case, then Saint George... Saint philopateer... Saint Abanoub... and all our holy martyrs of the church committed suicide! because they not only preached, but went to the governors and the rulers and confessed the name of Christ!

but before a person seeks martyrdom, they should first seek their salvation! if God allows martyrdom in the process, then that person is very lucky!

akhdna el baraka... neshkor allah!
  • There's a very nice saying by St Francis of Assisi, "always preach the gospel and, if necessary, use words". When preaching Christianity, we should first and foremost be a living gospel. By being model Christians and good reflections of Christ, we are an example unto others; letting our light so shine before men that they may see our good works and glorify our father in heaven. We don't need to go shouting the gospel from the rooftops, let's first try and live the gospel :) This makes bringing others to Christ so much easier because we're not actively trying to convert anyone or anything like that; we're just looking for our own salvation and allowing the Holy Spirit to do His work!

This (in my opinion) is the first stage and a very good way of preaching to the world, and I think this would be the best approach in a country like Saudi Arabia. However, that said, there are those who are led by the Holy Spirit to confess the name of Christ boldly, such as our fathers and mothers the martyrs. I personally think that this is a calling from God, requiring strong faith and love for Christ. I have to agree with SuperMAN too on this - we should seek first our own salvation. After all, how can be save someone who is drowning if we can't swim ourselves? Let's learn to swim first and then try and save others, teaching them to swim.

Matthew
  • Are you guys suggesting that preaching wouldn't help lead me to my salvation?

• [quote author=dumdum link=topic=7152.msg94908#msg94908 date=1222827096]
    Are you guys suggesting that preaching wouldn't help lead me to my salvation?

No, I would say the exact opposite, read my previous post again. We are commanded to preach the name of Christ, but I was merely stating that the best way (in my opinion) to do this in a place like Saudi Arabia would be to FIRST be a good example unto others. Just like in the gospel of Matthew 5:16 it says "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven." Once we have shown our good works, we draw others to Christ - THAT is when we begin preaching with words.

And preaching definitely WOULD lead you to salvation. If you look at James 5:20 it says "let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save a soul from death and cover a multitude of sins."

The ultimate goal of preaching is to lead others to salvation, but how can we lead others to salvation if we ourselves don't know the way to salvation?! That's why I'm saying we should first focus on making ourselves good Christians, and then you'll find it naturally follows that you will be preaching without realising it. Again I say, the best way of preaching is to actually LIVE the Word of God.

Matthew
  • It is not sinful. We should obey God rather then men!
  • it is not sinful we r preacing to the world st mark went to a pagan continent and changed modt of it to christianity all of africa they were all pagan
  • Of course not because we are trying to teach the people who do not know our true faith to be Christians
    Saint Paul was preaching in Asia to know our Lord Jesus Christ
    If someone gets killed about preaching in Saudi Arabia, you could be recogcognized as a saint because this person has shed his/her blood to our lord JESUS CHRIST for our salvation.  Many saints like Saint Mina and Saint George went up to king Diocletian all by themselves for their love of Jesus Christ and were martyred.
    Thes saints recieve the crown of martyrdom