Very Important Spiritual Questions--Please Help if you can

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
When Jesus returns, will he spend a lot of time on the earth or will his coming only take one second? How much time will he spend on the earth?

Also
"but of that day and hour, no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father"
what does this mean? How can the Son not know if he is God? Please help or please give me some resources?

Comments

• you are asking a question we can't answer, only God knows.
  • i dont think anybody noes the answer to that question =( i wish we knew....

i have had problems with the second question and i still do..it all pertains to the trinity.=)  there r many examples lyke that in the bible

+mahraeel+
  • [quote author=dumdum link=topic=7153.msg94707#msg94707 date=1222557301]
    "but of that day and hour, no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father"

can i ask you where you got the verse? I remember i read it before as well but i cant remember exactly where it was...

Thanks and God Bless

p.s. i will ask my FOC and get back to you...
  • In The name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit One God amen.

May God help me try to answer the question

The verse that you are asking about is : "No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father " Mark13:32

Your question is : Does the Son not know when is the second coming? And if he knows, why did he say "nor the Son" ?

First of all the answer to this question is that the Son knows the Time and the Date of his second coming because He is God and God knows everything.

Bible verses the prove that He knows the Date and Time of his second coming
    :

1- "In whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge." Colossians 2:3. This verse proves that the Son has all knowledge and all the wisdom. So how is it possible that He does not know the Date of the second coming.

2- "Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God " 1 Corinthians 1:24. everyone uses his wisdom to plan things. So as the Father, He uses His wisdom to plan the creation and everything that is related to it.
    And if Christ is the wisdom so He knows the Time and the Date of his second coming.

3- "All things have been committed to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him " Matthew 11:27. All things have been committed  to the Son. The Date and Time of second coming is included in "All things". Also if the Son knows the Father then the Son knows what the Father will do. For example if i know a friend well enough i can know how he will react to some situations.

4- " All that belongs to the Father is mine. " John 16:15. This shows clearly that the Son is equal to the Father since all things the Belongs to the Father belong also to the Son. And knowing the Date and Time for the second coming are included in "All".

5- " I and the Father are one" John 10:30. The Son and the Father are one. That means that everything that the Father does is known to the Son. Everything that the Son does in also know to the Father.

6- ""When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. 32All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left. " Matthew 25:31-33. In these few verses, the Son explaines exactly what will happen when he comes again. How can He describe His second coming like that and He does not know when is it. He must have known that date.

7- " I tell you the truth, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened. 35Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away" Matthew 24:34-35.
    Our Lord Jesus Christ says here that Heaven and Earth will pass away. If He says that Heaven and Earth will pass away, He must know that date and Time. How can someone be so confident about something that will happen except if he knows the time and date of that action?

Now we proved that the Son knows the Time and Date. The question now is Why did He say " nor the Son" ?

1- Because He came down from Heaven and He became man ( His Divinity was not separated form His humanity not for a blink of an eye.)
    St Athanasius the Apostolic says " Although The Son knows that Time, He did not tell his disciple because no one can know why did Jesus say it because "Who has known the mind of the Lord?Or who has been his counselor?" Romans 11:34. And although he knows, He said "nor the Son". He said that for the same reason He said many other things because he became like us human. He said that because of his human nature which is known to have a limited knowledge.

2- He did not want the disciples keep asking about the date because He wanted us to be alert at all times and repent at all times not just before He comes
    As St Paul said, " Now, brothers, about times and dates we do not need to write to you," 1 Thessalonians 5:1. "Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come." Matthew 24:42. "So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him." Matthew 24:44. And right after the verse that says "not the son "Jesus says,"Be on guard! Be alert! You do not know when that time will come." Mark 13:33.

3- It is the same as when He Will say to the people on His right hand that He does not know them. Does That mean that He does not know them. No He knows them but He does not want to know them because they have gone away form Him. The same thing with this verse He said that so the disciples would not ask  Him about That date.

The conclusion is that the Son knows the Date and Time but it was not part of His plan for us to tell us.

I did not do this. This was all taken from the website

http://www.stmarymostoroud.net/Book27.htm#_(1)_%C7%E1%C7%C8%E4_%E5%E6_%C7%E1%C3%E1%DD_%E6%C7%E1%ED%C7%C1_%C7%E1%C8%CF%C7%ED%C9_%E6
    All the bible verses are taken from biblegateway.com the New International Version
    Pray for my weakness

Thank you all
  • for the person who asked, the verse is matt 24:27.

ebn yaso, while i didn't find the first two of your arguments very convincing, i thought the third (" i do not know you") was really good. thanks for your help.

by the way, everyone, i researched my first question. as i understand, Jesus will not do any preaching on the earth when he comes. His coming will be very quick like lightning, taking only a few seconds. he is not going to preach, or be a leader, or do miracles, or bring peace as Muslims/Jews/Mormons/Hindus/Buddhists/some Protestants and various other religions say of their christs. he is not going to spend time on the earth. It'll just be like a quick lightning bolt hitting the devil. Jesus will return, the antichrist will be destroyed, the righteous will be caught up in the air, all in a matter of seconds.

i didn't research this from random websites. these are not opinions, these are part of our church's teachings. i researched it from an orthodox website and i beleive i heard amba yussef saying the same thing in a convention a few years ago. please let me know if i'm wrong or if this sounds right. i strongly disagree with those people who said that the church doesn't know.

• Hi dumdum

i researched my first question. as i understand, Jesus will not do any preaching on the earth when he comes. His coming will be very quick like lightning, taking only a few seconds. he is not going to preach, or be a leader, or do miracles, or bring peace as Muslims/Jews/Mormons/Hindus/Buddhists/some Protestants and various other religions say

I think that you are right

thanks for the information
  • ther was a phrophecy by pope kyrillos vi that they will babtize people in a place in egypt
    i forget what it was called but it hadd the staue of ramsees and there is like a tub of water like fountain it is in ciaro and so far it never happened
    also tamav ereny when she went to heaven the firslt time she saw Christ move a step closer to earth
  • [quote author=dumdum link=topic=7153.msg94787#msg94787 date=1222789806]
    for the person who asked, the verse is matt 24:27.

ebn yaso, while i didn't find the first two of your arguments very convincing, i thought the third (" i do not know you") was really good. thanks for your help.

by the way, everyone, i researched my first question. as i understand, Jesus will not do any preaching on the earth when he comes. His coming will be very quick like lightning, taking only a few seconds. he is not going to preach, or be a leader, or do miracles, or bring peace as Muslims/Jews/Mormons/Hindus/Buddhists/some Protestants and various other religions say of their christs. he is not going to spend time on the earth. It'll just be like a quick lightning bolt hitting the devil. Jesus will return, the antichrist will be destroyed, the righteous will be caught up in the air, all in a matter of seconds.

i didn't research this from random websites. these are not opinions, these are part of our church's teachings. i researched it from an orthodox website and i beleive i heard amba yussef saying the same thing in a convention a few years ago. please let me know if i'm wrong or if this sounds right. i strongly disagree with those people who said that the church doesn't know.

Allow me to add something concerning this topic.
    To think that Christ will spend time on earth ruling as a king, preaching, evangelizing, etc. is a terribly inncorrect conception. People who believe this- Adventists and Jehovah's Witnesses- are regarded by the Church as not being Christians, and maybe even pagans. The person who will come and rule on earth, preach and do miracles, is the Anti- Christ. Thus, this is a terrible misconception that we all must be aware of.
  • Christ4Life, that may be true but I'd like to mention that those protestants aren't the only ones waiting for the antichrist. Muslims are also waiting for christ to return and bring all people to islam. Jews are waiting for an earthly messiah. Mormons are. Many many protestant brances. Hindus and Buddhists are waiting for Kalki, who has a similar description to these other christs. There are even an enormous amount of cults who are waiting for aliens or strange spiritual beings.

It seems our faith alone, teaches that Christ's coming will be sudden and that any earthly ruler must be the antichrist.