Why do we kiss our hands when we say the word "Thank"?

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
When we are praying? I do it but i want to know why....

Comments

• When you are kissing your hands you are thanking God for what He has given you (palm down) and what He has taken away from your hands (palm up).
  • also another way to put it is thanking HIM about what is good/easy, outer part of hands closed (soft), and what's sometimes seems harsh, (in side hands, thick skin)
  • Thanks guys. Good question btw! It's funny, but I never thought about that, and yet, when I read the question, I immediately was baffled by why I didn't think to ask this earlier. I wonder if these traditions have been well documented, especially in English. It is interesting that simple gestures can be a powerful, and silent, heartfelt prayer.
  • Thanks for the replies. That is interesting I would have never thought about it that way.

And when did this start? Like did our early fathers develop it or was it back in the old testament.
  • In the Church, when we kiss our hands, the real meaning behind it is as follows:

We kiss the palms of our hands to thank God for what He has given us (i.e. what's in our hands/possession).
    We kiss the other side of our hands to than God for what He hasn't given us (i.e. what we don't have). Not really for what He's taken away from you.

Regards

• OMg lol i neva new that before.  i thught it was juss somethin ppl do lol. 

But, is it wrong to not do that.  Because i dont do that=/

+mahraeel+
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=7137.msg94566#msg94566 date=1222117574]
    We kiss the other side of our hands to than God for what He hasn't given us (i.e. what we don't have). Not really for what He's taken away from you.

How so?!!!
    We all know that God does take things from us to remind His presence...that what we all learned in Sunday school!!!
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=7137.msg94580#msg94580 date=1222121445]
    [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=7137.msg94566#msg94566 date=1222117574]

How so?!!!
    We all know that God does take things from us to remind His presence...that what we all learned in Sunday school!!!

I learned that God doesn't take it away He allows it to be taken away!
  • But God can also take away things if He wills; His power is limitless. When we thank God for taking things away, we also thank Him for taking away the things we couldn't normally fix/cure ourselves. Take for example those with incurable diseases who pray and are miraculously healed. If that isn't God taking it away, then what?
  • [quote author=SilentOne link=topic=7137.msg94583#msg94583 date=1222122562]
    But God can also take away things if He wills; His power is limitless. When we thank God for taking things away, we also thank Him for taking away the things we couldn't normally fix/cure ourselves. Take for example those with incurable diseases who pray and are miraculously healed. If that isn't God taking it away, then what?

I dunno, I see that more as God GIVING you health rather than taking away disease. Hehe, I'm not actually arguing, just trying to be controversial :) Of course God can take away if He wants, He's the Almighty God!
  • Haha oh you're funny. But yes, when we're thanking God for taking things away, we're thanking Him because He gave the thing to us in the first place and He willed that it be taken away, so instead of us trying to grab hold of it, we thank Him for His will and understanding is far superior than that of hours. That's what I was taught in Sunday School, so yeah, that's my take on it.
  • Look, does it matter? We're all going to die one day, and all this won't make a difference. Will it?!!!
  • Sure it does. Now instead of just kissing his hand without knowing what it means, Loca can kiss his hand knowing that he is thanking God. I think that is quite significant even though just a small thing.
  • [quote author=SilentOne link=topic=7137.msg94616#msg94616 date=1222204628]
    Sure it does. Now instead of just kissing his hand without knowing what it means, Loca can kiss his hand knowing that he is thanking God. I think that is quite significant even though just a small thing.

i think so too! ;D
  • so do i lol
    but nobody answered my question??

lol thanks nd btw i think loca4christ is a girl lol not sure thoo...

+mahraeel+
  • [quote author=mahraeel link=topic=7137.msg94574#msg94574 date=1222120695]
    OMg lol i neva new that before.  i thught it was juss somethin ppl do lol. 

But, is it wrong to not do that.  Because i dont do that=/

+mahraeel+

I don't think it's wrong to not do it...it just serves as a material aid when giving thanks, kinda like a message "hey! you should be feeling thankful right now!" I've never practiced it personally, but I might start doing it now that I understand what it means!
  • ok good question and answers, does anyone know why we beat our chests lol?
  • We beat our chest as we imitate the tax collector saying have mercy on me a sinner as we are mournful over our sins.
  • lol kewl thanks jydeacon ;D
    but for soem reason i don feel comfortable doin those idk y tho...=/
    +mahraeel+
  • You don't necessarily have to do it in public infront of everyone to show off how "humble" you are, do whatever you feel is comfortable, God knows the heart ;)
  • yea lol u get my point i fell like its showing off even tho ppl dont show off u noe wat i meen lol

+mahraeel+
  • [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=7137.msg94630#msg94630 date=1222210386]
    You don't necessarily have to do it in public infront of everyone to show off how "humble" you are, do whatever you feel is comfortable, God knows the heart ;)

Couldn't agree more. Brings back memories of when I was younger...being repeatedly told off for not signing the cross when saying "Agios"! Ah...those were the days :)
  • If the Church is not where we share our faith, and express of ourselves to the Lord- then where else! The Holy Communion is a meal we share together, all of us- we are one happy family- even organs of one body- how can we keep these devotions and expressions to ourselves. This has nothing to do with humility. Humility is about thinking of others, and thinking of yourself less. It is not putting a show or lack of it. Not doing an expression is death- no wonder why many see the Church as dead!
  • [quote author=clay link=topic=7137.msg94641#msg94641 date=1222221987]
    If the Church is not where we share our faith, and express of ourselves to the Lord- then where else! The Holy Communion is a meal we share together, all of us- we are one happy family- even organs of one body- how can we keep these devotions and expressions to ourselves. This has nothing to do with humility. Humility is about thinking of others, and thinking of yourself less. It is not putting a show or lack of it. Not doing an expression is death- no wonder why many see the Church as dead!

Yes you are right, but if people are not comfortable showing that kind of emotion infront of everyone, then it is not a must is all i was trying to say. Forgive me

God Bless and Pray for me and my weakness
  • Yes you are right, but if people are not comfortable showing that kind of emotion infront of everyone, then it is not a must is all i was trying to say. Forgive me

God Bless and Pray for me and my weakness

yupp^

+mahraeel+
  • [quote author=SilentOne link=topic=7137.msg94616#msg94616 date=1222204628]
    Sure it does. Now instead of just kissing his hand without knowing what it means, Loca can kiss his hand knowing that he is thanking God. I think that is quite significant even though just a small thing.

[quote author=mahraeel link=topic=7137.msg94620#msg94620 date=1222206666]
    so do i lol
    but nobody answered my question??

lol thanks nd btw i think loca4christ is a girl lol not sure thoo...

+mahraeel+

Yea im a girl........
  • hahaha lol score one for me!!=)

+mahraeel+
  • Haha aww I'm sorry, I didn't know. I'm new here so...yeah haha forgive me. And score negative one for me :[.
  • Haha aww I'm sorry, I didn't know. I'm new here so...yeah haha forgive me. And score negative one for me :[.

lol im juss jokin around=)

+mahraeel+
  • No problem. Dont worry about it