when ever i pray

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
i see to always want to yawn why is that i am very curioues?

Comments

• Interesting subject. I remember hearing a priest say that once you start to pray, the devil will put his finger in your mouth and cause you to yawn. That's why some people when praying, put the sign of the cross over their mouth whenever they start to yawn.

PK
  • thank you so much pk for awnsering gbu
  • so it's not just you, others have the same problem.
  • That's interesting to know because one time in the liturgy I yawned so many times.It was getting annoying
  • [quote author=bigeee link=topic=7089.msg94108#msg94108 date=1220398602]

same here lol
  • [quote author=mnc_hnn link=topic=7089.msg94147#msg94147 date=1220533389]
    [quote author=bigeee link=topic=7089.msg94108#msg94108 date=1220398602]

same here lol

wow same here lol
  • Wow, thought I was the only one too lol

[quote author=PopeKyrillos link=topic=7089.msg94113#msg94113 date=1220408004]
    Interesting subject. I remember hearing a priest say that once you start to pray, the devil will put his finger in your mouth and cause you to yawn. That's why some people when praying, put the sign of the cross over their mouth whenever they start to yawn.

I've heard this before too...very interesting stuff.
  • [quote author=PopeKyrillos link=topic=7089.msg94113#msg94113 date=1220408004]
    Interesting subject. I remember hearing a priest say that once you start to pray, the devil will put his finger in your mouth and cause you to yawn. That's why some people when praying, put the sign of the cross over their mouth whenever they start to yawn.

PK

Sorry but I must disagree with you, and with that priest! That sounds like some Islamic superstition... and the reason behind people crossing their mouths is that it is believed that the devil can enter that way! Or if you yawn yell and/or scream in the bathroom you can become possessed! While in reality this is originated from Islamic superstitions, for your joints and your openings are already anointed and consecrated after baptism!
    But in Christianity the devil is just "the tempter" as this is one of his names and another from the many is "the deceiver"  so he will not “force” you but just tempt and deceive you, and you have the free will to do the rest, whether listen and do it… or not!

During prayers the devil will tempt you by anything and everything... sometimes it will go along these lines… "What am I gonna do tomorrow?" “what am I gonna eat tonight?"  “How old is Angela or whoever, I wonder if she'd be a good mate?" “Am I going to leave Angela if I decide to become a monk?" “Am I going to even be a monk" "would I be a successful monk?" and “etc…”
    Now you see how there is all kind of thoughts… good, or thought to be good… being a monk, what harm does that have, right? And also idle thoughts, nothing wrong with what you’re going to eat, right?! The devil is smart so he will not give you sinful thoughts right away so that you don’t rebel right away, he will rather lure you in slowly, and patiently! So now you’re praying yet thinking of “good things” no harm done right?!
    Believe it or not, in this case the devil would be the winner, because the time which is supposed to be sacrificed to God, is rather a time of thought for future planning, or just thought for… whatever!
    Now we have a problem… the devil won’t stop there, but he’ll bring it to your attention and make you feel guilty about it! Now your conscience will hurt you every time you think to stand up for prayer… slowly you start drifting away from praying!
    Now he’s also called the deceiver… the devil will deceive you in so many ways… so in prayer he will come and tell you things along the lines of, “why do you pray to the wall” “If God was there, don’t you think He would’ve spoken to you, or sent you one of His saints… even an angel?!” and “etc…” one thing we learn from the first recoded time the devil deceived… was that he just puts idea, and when we entertain that idea we’re getting ourselves in trouble!
    And the old harmless what am I gonna do tomorrow… will generate more “excitement” to you than praying… thus you get boredom…
    So now you’re bored because you let the devil of boredom get to you so you yawn!!!
    And that’s why you yawn during prayer!

Now we found the problem and found the cause… lets think up of a solution

During prayer it’s good to sing… sing your whole prayer if you have to… when you sing your prayers you will keep focused and maybe have you meditate on the words which you singing… that is something that monks use to do… they used to sing the psalms while working and doing anything!
    Another thing is find your “pace” some like slow prayer to meditate…  while some people pray fast, as long as you read and comprehend what you read, which will keep you “up-beat” which will make it not easy to have your mind wander off!
    Another thing and the most important is to shun evil right away… when a thought comes stop your prayer and ask God to send the devil away… ask and you shall be given! But just shun the thoughts or the temptations and the deceptions!

I took the blessing… neshkor allah!
  • [quote author=SuperMAN(BAM) link=topic=7089.msg94170#msg94170 date=1220588367]

PK

Sorry but I must disagree with you, and with that priest! That sounds like some Islamic superstition... and the reason behind people crossing their mouths is that it is believed that the devil can enter that way! Or if you yawn yell and/or scream in the bathroom you can become possessed! While in reality this is originated from Islamic superstitions, for your joints and your openings are already anointed and consecrated after baptism!
    But in Christianity the devil is just "the tempter" as this is one of his names and another from the many is "the deceiver"  so he will not “force” you but just tempt and deceive you, and you have the free will to do the rest, whether listen and do it… or not!

During prayers the devil will tempt you by anything and everything... sometimes it will go along these lines… "What am I gonna do tomorrow?" “what am I gonna eat tonight?"  “How old is Angela or whoever, I wonder if she'd be a good mate?" “Am I going to leave Angela if I decide to become a monk?" “Am I going to even be a monk" "would I be a successful monk?" and “etc…”
    Now you see how there is all kind of thoughts… good, or thought to be good… being a monk, what harm does that have, right? And also idle thoughts, nothing wrong with what you’re going to eat, right?! The devil is smart so he will not give you sinful thoughts right away so that you don’t rebel right away, he will rather lure you in slowly, and patiently! So now you’re praying yet thinking of “good things” no harm done right?!
    Believe it or not, in this case the devil would be the winner, because the time which is supposed to be sacrificed to God, is rather a time of thought for future planning, or just thought for… whatever!
    Now we have a problem… the devil won’t stop there, but he’ll bring it to your attention and make you feel guilty about it! Now your conscience will hurt you every time you think to stand up for prayer… slowly you start drifting away from praying!
    Now he’s also called the deceiver… the devil will deceive you in so many ways… so in prayer he will come and tell you things along the lines of, “why do you pray to the wall” “If God was there, don’t you think He would’ve spoken to you, or sent you one of His saints… even an angel?!” and “etc…” one thing we learn from the first recoded time the devil deceived… was that he just puts idea, and when we entertain that idea we’re getting ourselves in trouble!
    And the old harmless what am I gonna do tomorrow… will generate more “excitement” to you than praying… thus you get boredom…
    So now you’re bored because you let the devil of boredom get to you so you yawn!!!
    And that’s why you yawn during prayer!

Now we found the problem and found the cause… lets think up of a solution

During prayer it’s good to sing… sing your whole prayer if you have to… when you sing your prayers you will keep focused and maybe have you meditate on the words which you singing… that is something that monks use to do… they used to sing the psalms while working and doing anything!
    Another thing is find your “pace” some like slow prayer to meditate…  while some people pray fast, as long as you read and comprehend what you read, which will keep you “up-beat” which will make it not easy to have your mind wander off!
    Another thing and the most important is to shun evil right away… when a thought comes stop your prayer and ask God to send the devil away… ask and you shall be given! But just shun the thoughts or the temptations and the deceptions!

I took the blessing… neshkor allah!

Okay?
  • yeaaaaa that happens to me alot especially in church i start yawning sooooo much and i always do the sign of the cross but i didn't know that people did it because the devil made you yawn i thought it was like because you spirit might come out hahahha sillyyyy me lol
  • Yawning is caused by a lack of oxygen to the blood. So it is believed that you yawn because you are bored and tired which then gets you breathing slower and then you yawn.

My suggestion would be try to pray when you are a bit more energized than before you go to sleep. Also try to have a conversation with God about your day, think back and meditate on your day, get your brain working a bit rather than jst repeating the same prayer every time (Thank you God for bringing us here today, and please God help those who didn't some this time, come next time. Amen) That's a common prayer that the Gr.2 say ...there's nothing wrong with the  prayer but the depth and focus will not be there if repeated.

I hope you get my point. But honestly I think we've all yawned when we've prayed but the small pointers here should limit yawning not illiminate it, cause i dont think u can illiminate yawning it's part of the body's reaction.
  • o.O this is interesting lol

+mahraeel+

• This thread made me laugh lol.  ;D. It seems like this is a plague or something, affecting one in three of every Copt lol ;D.

Interesting subject. I remember hearing a priest say that once you start to pray, the devil will put his finger in your mouth and cause you to yawn.

I've never heard that before but it sounds a bit strange to me.

Peace