Re: Our Holy Virgin Mother St. Mary

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Greetings: God's peace and love to all through Christ Jesus our Lord and Savior!!!

I would like to know about the instruments The Holy Mother used to spin the gold and purple thread with, please.
I have a book that talks about a tool made out of bamboo??
Does anyone know about this process??

Comments

• Greetings Elisa:

I felt so happy when I saw the topic of the thread referring to the Mother of God.I simply love her, certainly not as much as she loves me.

I am not certain if the following would answer the question. In Proverbs 31:19, we read 'She layeth her hands to the spindle, and her hands hold the distaff.. The 'She 'refers to all women who brought offering to the Lord during the Exodus.They had before learned the art and were wise-hearted;and practiced it. The wise hearted were ambitious to do something by which they might testify their piety to God, and their love for his worship. Obviously,the spinning practiced at those times was ordinary as is still seen in some parts of the world, and required little apparatus. It was a plain twirling pin, which could be easily framed out of any wood the Israelites met with in the wilderness.I would like to assume,that Our Blessed Virgin Mary may have used the same materials.

My 2 BMD.
  • [quote author=elsi70x7 link=topic=7109.msg94300#msg94300 date=1221055518]
    Greetings: God's peace and love to all through Christ Jesus our Lord and Savior!!!

I would like to know about the instruments The Holy Mother used to spin the gold and purple thread with, please.
    I have a book that talks about a tool made out of bamboo??
    Does anyone know about this process??

i don't understand....what do you mean??
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=7109.msg94308#msg94308 date=1221081259]

I am not sure what it is that you did not understand,the language or the story of the blessed virgin as a weaver. Elsi will certainly clarify it for you. However,from what I know, ancient tradition has it that St Mary was one of chosen pure virgins from the line of David who were found worthy to weave a new curtain for the Holy of Holies in the Temple. I do not know about the gold thread, but I gathered  St Mary was assinged to spin purple and scarlet( the exact color we have in our churchs today) threads. If you look closely in some ancient Icons, the blessed Mother is sometimes depicted spinning.

I am not sure,if this is right, but the first time St Mary heard the greetings  of the St Gabriel was when she went to the well to fetch water (The significance of the well has parallel with the Old testament great Prophets who made their life changing encounter at wells-Moses meeting his wife,Jacob meeting Rebecca,etc) .Looking around she saw no one and trembling she went home.Setting down the cup with which she filled water, she began spinning when suddenly St Gabriel  stood before her saying, "Do not be afraid Mary...."
  • [quote author=Hezekiel link=topic=7109.msg94316#msg94316 date=1221100623]
    [quote author=minagir link=topic=7109.msg94308#msg94308 date=1221081259]

I am not sure what it is that you did not understand,the language or the story of the blessed virgin as a weaver. Elsi will certainly clarify it for you. However,from what I know, ancient tradition has it that St Mary was one of chosen pure virgins from the line of David who were found worthy to weave a new curtain for the Holy of Holies in the Temple. I do not know about the gold thread, but I gathered  St Mary was assinged to spin purple and scarlet( the exact color we have in our churchs today) threads. If you look closely in some ancient Icons, the blessed Mother is sometimes depicted spinning.

I am not sure,if this is right, but the first time St Mary heard the greetings  of the St Gabriel was when she went to the well to fetch water (The significance of the well has parallel with the Old testament great Prophets who made their life changing encounter at wells-Moses meeting his wife,Jacob meeting Rebecca,etc) .Looking around she saw no one and trembling she went home.Setting down the cup with which she filled water, she began spinning when suddenly St Gabriel  stood before her saying, "Do not be afraid Mary...."

what's the source of all this.....if tradition, then of which church exactly.....i havn't heard about this in our Coptic Church ever.....
  • Greetings Hez,

Thank u for your reply. I know it must be an instrument easy to make, but I can not seem to figure it out.
    I do not think I have been putting the right wording in my google searches.

Thank you very much....I will try 'spindle' and 'distaff', maybe these are better words for the search.

I'd like to start the New Year off with godly works.

God be with you as He is with our Holy Virgin Mother Mary
  • Oh, now i understand why bamboo would be used, because it is mostly already hollow on the inside! Thanks