How could the Devil be allowed to enter Paradise?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hey everybody,

I have a question on the Garden of Eden. If the Garden of Eden was Paradise, why was Satan allowed to enter it in order to tempt Adam & Eve? Did God allow him to enter Paradise, or did he "sneak in" or something? I really can't imagine that God wouldn't realize that the Devil snuck in, so there's no way that happened. So, why would God allow Satan to enter Paradise to tempt Adam & Eve?

Thanks and God bless

Comments

• [quote author=sakmak link=topic=7077.msg94019#msg94019 date=1219944358]
    Hey everybody,

I have a question on the Garden of Eden. If the Garden of Eden was Paradise, why was Satan allowed to enter it in order to tempt Adam & Eve? Did God allow him to enter Paradise, or did he "sneak in" or something? I really can't imagine that God wouldn't realize that the Devil snuck in, so there's no way that happened. So, why would God allow Satan to enter Paradise to tempt Adam & Eve?

Satan was allowed in Paradise and heaven before God until the time of crucixtion of Christ who truly broke the sting of death. as it says in Job:
    Job 1:12
    And the Lord said to Satan, "Behold, all that he has is in your power; only do not lay a hand on his person." So Satan went out from the presence of the Lord.

Job 2:1
    Again there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan came also among them to present himself before the Lord.

So Satan could of entered there because he wasn't fully defeated. Also Satan (i.e. his spirit, followers), still tempts us everyday and God let's him/them.
  • In the Orthodox Study Bible it states, “Heaven is inaccessible to the devil; yet he came with them because he is an angel with a nature similar to the angels of God, however, writes St. Gregory, "he was in the Lord's sight, but the Lord was not in his sight. When a blind man stands in the sun, he is bathed with the sun's rays, but he still does not see the light by which he is lit." and St. John Chrysostom teaches that "he came with them" means nothing else but that [the devil] too is dependent upon God."

To me I think that he can enter neither Heaven nor Paradise... if separable. In the story of Job, it never said Satan entered heaven… then it so happened one day that behold, the angels of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and the devil also came with them. The Lord said to the devil, “where did you come from?” so the devil answered the Lord and said, “I came here after going about the earth and walking around under heaven.” Here we can see he was not in heaven… but just in the presence of the Lord! 

Now for the question… the Garden of Eden, or rather pleasures is/was located on earth… because Adam and Eve were sent out of the garden to opposite of the garden. “Then the Lord God said, “behold the man has become like one of Us, to know good and evil. Now, lest he put out his hand and take also of the tree of life and eat, and live forever—“  therefore the Lord God sent him out of the garden of pleasure to cultivate the ground from which he was taken. So he cast out Adam, and made him dwell opposite the garden of pleasure. He then stationed the cherubim and the fiery sword which turns every way to guard the way to the tree of life."

akhadna el baraka... neshkor allah!
  • I think also he was allowed because he, at that time, was the angel of light lucifer, so he was allowed in the Paradise and heaven and in the presence of God. 
  • God wanted to give humans a chance to choose him by leaving satan to tempt them. God made them to know only good. Only from satan could they possibly know evil.

• [quote author=minagir link=topic=7077.msg94021#msg94021 date=1219950080]
    [quote author=sakmak link=topic=7077.msg94019#msg94019 date=1219944358]
    Hey everybody,

Satan was allowed in Paradise and heaven before God until the time of crucixtion of Christ who truly broke the sting of death. as it says in Job:
    Job 1:12
    And the Lord said to Satan, "Behold, all that he has is in your power; only do not lay a hand on his person." So Satan went out from the presence of the Lord.

Job 2:1
    Again there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan came also among them to present himself before the Lord.

So Satan could of entered there because he wasn't fully defeated. Also Satan (i.e. his spirit, followers), still tempts us everyday and God let's him/them.

so then why was it that Satan tempted Judas to betray God, and hence causing the Crucifixion of Christ, putting Satan in his place?
  • [quote author=ChristopherBoctor link=topic=7077.msg95504#msg95504 date=1223910888]
    so then why was it that Satan tempted Judas to betray God, and hence causing the Crucifixion of Christ, putting Satan in his place?

Untill the time of the Crucifixion of Jesus, Satan didn't fully knew He was the Son of God who will put him into his place....yes hard to believe but that's what happend. if Satan knew it Jesus was the Son of God, he wouldn't of lead Him to His Crucifixion.
  • I don't know if I agree with that Mina. It says right here:

Luke 4:41

And demons also came out of many, crying out and saying, “You are the Christ, the Son of God!”
    And He, rebuking them, did not allow them to speak, for they knew that He was the Christ.

I think he/they knew that he was Christ, but didn't understand the extent of His power. They probably thought by crucifying Him, they could get rid of Christ for good. Boy were they wrong!

Please correct me if I'm wrong. God bless and please pray for me weakness.
  • [quote author=Tishori link=topic=7077.msg95532#msg95532 date=1223932344]
    I don't know if I agree with that Mina. It says right here:

Luke 4:41

And demons also came out of many, crying out and saying, “You are the Christ, the Son of God!”
    And He, rebuking them, did not allow them to speak, for they knew that He was the Christ.

I think he/they knew that he was Christ, but didn't understand the extent of His power. They probably thought by crucifying Him, they could get rid of Christ for good. Boy were they wrong!

Please correct me if I'm wrong. God bless and please pray for me weakness.

Notice he said he rebuked them and didn't allow them to speak, so for all we know, this could imply they couldn't speak with satan and tell him this person is Christ?(this is only speculation, i have nothing to back this up really) I've heard many say what mina has said, that even until the last minute before Christs death, he didn't realize he was the Son of God and mearly a human. Thats why when satan went to grab Christs Spirit, it back fired on him and Christ grabed him and chained him up and set all the righteous souls free.
  • i agree with Mina and JyDeacon.... because if the Devil knew it was Christ he wouldnt of lead him to crucifixtion. He tempted Christ in lots of ways. For example, when Christ fasted forty days, when he was in the process of crucifixtion.. etc. In the movie The Passion of Chirst, it shows the devil while he was suffering
  • Thank you all for the correction. I'm sorry for the mix up, this verse just popped into my head instantly and I posted it without really looking at it! Sorry, my mistake.
  • Luke 4:41

And demons also came out of many, crying out and saying, “You are the Christ, the Son of God!” And He, rebuking them, did not allow them to speak, for they knew that He was the Christ.

I disagree with the explanations given. For starters, If the Demons who are the underling of the Devil,-the boss-  knew that The Lord was the Messiah,how come the Boss himself did not know that? It makes no sense, does it?

In my view,in  the above verse ,Jesus is forbidding the demons to speak about his devine nature publicly,because the time had not come when he wished it to be known that he was the Messiah, and therefore commanded the demons to be silent.
  • The Devil was confused whether Christ was God or not, just because some of his minions realized it doesn't mean he did, he is not God we must remember and cannot read thoughts or see true intentions. If he knew that he was Christ, there is NO WAY he would have had him crucified. Unless of course he is a complete idiot who wanted his dominion over the human race to end, which i highly doubt. Christ surprised him and instead of him binding Christ, Christ bound him and he now has no authority over us.
  • [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=7077.msg95639#msg95639 date=1224027212]
    The Devil was confused whether Christ was God or not, just because some of his minions realized it doesn't mean he did, he is not God we must remember and cannot read thoughts or see true intentions. If he knew that he was Christ, there is NO WAY he would have had him crucified. Unless of course he is a complete idiot who wanted his dominion over the human race to end, which i highly doubt. Christ surprised him and instead of him binding Christ, Christ bound him and he now has no authority over us.

to add.....don't forget that the devil knows the Scripture and knows that the Son of God will come and be crucified to defeat him....but he just didn't know which one is the full Messiah.
  • [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=7077.msg95639#msg95639 date=1224027212]
    The Devil was confused whether Christ was God or not, just because some of his minions realized it doesn't mean he did, he is not God we must remember and cannot read thoughts or see true intentions. If he knew that he was Christ, there is NO WAY he would have had him crucified. Unless of course he is a complete idiot who wanted his dominion over the human race to end, which i highly doubt. Christ surprised him and instead of him binding Christ, Christ bound him and he now has no authority over us.

But how do you explain "for they knew that He was the Christ"? Does the minion know more than the master? Are the minions not in the service of the Master? The verse says " they knew"? What do you think it means? There is no hint of confusion here.
  • Like i said earlier, they could have known, but that doesn't mean the devil was sure about it. Its not possible that he would willingly crucify the Son of God. Like Mina said, he knew scripture very well and tested him during the 40 days. It didn't go through his mind that our God is a humble God, to empty himself and take the form of a servant was beyond what he could comprehend because he knew how powerful and awsome God was. He would see this Man perform miracles and heal the sick and raise the dead, yet he saw him hunger and thirst, feel sorrow and pain and suffer on the cross. He was completely confused
  • Still, remember Satan and his minions certainly recognized His authority when he drove them out of  people. To contrast and compare:in Jude 1:9,we read  "Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee".

However,Jesus commanded them on His own authority and did not have the defer to the authority of “the Lord” ,as St Michael did and the Devil knows that.I have trouble to think, Satan was confused or not certain about the divinity of Jesus,when he was not requested but COMMANDED with AUTHORITY to exit from possesed people UNCONDITIONALLY.

Is there any reference in the Scriptures where the Demons knew something the Devil was not aware or unsure or confused?

Moreover, in Matthew 8:29 "And behold, they (demons )  cried out, saying, What have we to do with you, Jesus, you Son of God? Are you come hither to torment us before the time?

They knew who He was and His plan.Look at the phrase "before time''.This suggests,they knew the time was coming when they were going to be casted to the bottomless pit for all time.

In Mark 3:11.

"And unclean spirits, when they saw Him, fell down before Him and cried, saying, You are the Son of God". When it says that they fell down before Him, they were actually prostrating themselves in subservience before their Creator.

Remember, If there was anybody who knew of Jesus' pre-existence, it was Satan.That is what I think,anyway

• We know that one of Satan's biggest faults is pride, so maybe he thought he could beat the Scriptures. He could have been encouraged by seeing God Himself become so weak and vulnerable. Maybe he thought that if he got the Son of God into Hades he could exercise control over Him while He was still human? I mean its not that far-fetched for someone who tried to overthrow God before...

Whatever the case, he lost big time :)
  • [quote author=sakmak link=topic=7077.msg94019#msg94019 date=1219944358]
    Hey everybody,

Dear Brothers and Sisters, this is my opinion,
    and taking into account the acts the acts of holy fathers.
    Satanailo, perhaps, is not fully isolate of God.
    He isolate from God when tricked the Adam and Eve.
    Satanail then become established in evil,
    and become unfit for good works!
    Because the Holy Fathers of the desert Egypt,
    and all the other church fathers,
    say:
    ,, Satanail can not be repented. "

I guess this was the moment when the interrupted with community
    God and people (described here: Genesis 3: 4,5).

If satanailo fell earlier,
    Satanail would not be here was in paradise (Genesis 3:14, 15),
    satanailo would be expelled before the events of this,
    but we see that it was dropped only when the ruined person of Adam.
    Only then occurs satanaila fall from Eden (described here: Genesis 3: 14, 15).