Marijuanna??????

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
What is your guys opinion on smoking marijuanna? I get alot of people tell me that it does not say in the bible to not smoke marijuanna and that it comes from the earth and is natural so God wont mind us smoking it! Does it say in the bible not to smoke it? Where do we get it is bad for us along with any drug?

Help if possible, I would love to hear your thoughts.

C

Comments

• hi
    i'm pretty sure the church is against marijuana for two reasons... first of all, it is drugs and it is an addiction. there is a verse in the bible that says we are the holy temple of god, i'm pretty sure it's in Corinthians, and by using drugs we are defying the Holy Spirit. Marijuana is harmful to the body and God gave us our body, giving us free will, but he also told us to be careful not to hurt it. It's also an addiction. It's extremely bad to be addicted to something as it is harmful to your spiritual life. Another thing is, when you use marijuana, you usually get high and then sometimes you can do things that you don't realize and those things might end up being sins. Another reason the church would be against it is because the church tells us to follow the laws of the government, as long as they don't go against what the church says. I'm not sure where the verse is, but I know it's in one of the epistles. Anyway, the law says that you aren't supposed to use marijuana and it's illegal so therefore, we must follow the government. We must abide by the rules. Also a few more verses from the Bible that talk about how all things might be there for you and lawful for you (Even though marijuana isn't) but if they are not of any benefit to you, then why would you try them or use them, in the case of marijuana. I will try to find all these verses I mentioned for you. The first one about the temple of God being your body and then the one about knowing what is beneficial for you... those are both in Corinthians. The ones about following the rules, I will find for you later. Hope I helped. And in all personal opinion here, marijuana is a waste of a life. I think the church would agree.
  • Thanks for your help but what about cigarettes the government deems it legal to smoke yet it is more harmful to you than marijuana? Also please find those verses for me when you can. I know this will be the response of my friends and I just want to help people stop smoking it because the peer pressure is getting unbearable and making me wanna try it, not that I would but you know what I mean.

???

C
  • There are many verses so I won't post them all now, but basically our bodies are not ours.. they are God's temple, and all the stuff you mentioned are detrimental and damaging to our bodies.. which we have "on loan" from God, so ya it's wrong because we are not our own, our bodies are not our own, but they belong to God and we must take care of them.
  • Here are some verses:

"For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may receive what is due for what he has done in the body, whether good or evil."
    —2 Corinthians 5:10

"I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship."
    —Romans 12:1

"as it is my eager expectation and hope that I will not be at all ashamed, but that with full courage now as always Christ will be honored in my body, whether by life or by death. "
    —Philippians 1:20

Cannabis smoke is more harmful than tobacco smoke by a LONG way just so you know...

"A recent study by the Canadian government found cannabis smoke contained more toxic substances than tobacco smoke. The study determined that marijuana smoke contained 20 times more ammonia, and five times more hydrogen cyanide and nitrogen oxides than tobacco smoke."

Its been linked to 65% of suicides in th UK and also linked to development of psychosis, depression and anxiety. In other words its like shoving an eggbeater into your brain and turning it on.

And the other thing is because its an illegal drug, the stuff you end up with is likely to be cut with some sort of strange substance that could do all sorts of crazy stuff to you. Not to mention if you ever get caught with it you'll get a big black spot on your permanent record.

Even if there were no verses its pretty obvious to me that God would not want anyone on this stuff. No-one wants to end up in rehab man! And neither do your friends...they're killing themselves slowly and painfully. The thing about drugs is once you're in, its dang near impossible to get out.

• ofcource marijuanna is wrong
  • You guys make alot of sense. I am not here to disagree with you, just looking for some support and verses and wisdom so that I may help my friends who are all on it. You know as well as I that marijuana is all over the place and is being used by millions if not billions so its hard to convince others not to use it. Especially now when doctors are using it for medical. For example a friend of mine Dad starting using it because he has diabetes and its better than taking all those pills for pain and what not. Now in that case is he wrong for taking it even though his doctor prescribed it?
  • Likewise you younger people, submit yourselves to your elders. Yes, all of you be submissive to one another, and be clothed with humility, for

“ God resists the proud,
          But gives grace to the humble.

Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you. Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. Resist him, steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same sufferings are experienced by your brotherhood in the world. But may the God of all grace, who called us to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a while, perfect, establish, strengthen, and settle you. To Him be the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen.

if you think its profitable for you, then by all means smoke it... but you know well its not!

• [quote author=Conqueror link=topic=6996.msg93453#msg93453 date=1217638832]
    What is your guys opinion on smoking marijuanna? I get alot of people tell me that it does not say in the bible to not smoke marijuanna and that it comes from the earth and is natural so God wont mind us smoking it! Does it say in the bible not to smoke it? Where do we get it is bad for us along with any drug?

Help if possible, I would love to hear your thoughts.

C

We must congratulate you, that you have the courage to ask about smoking marijuana .In simple view of our true Christian Coptic Orthodox teachings, you can not go every day trying to find one or two verves to do or not to do or justify your behavior and how to follow a set of rules and laws. Our New Testament is communicating with our soul and spirit. You had the Baptism and the Holy Sprit lives in you and you live with it, this will guide you as many of us feel and live as true Christian spirit and soul’s how to live and behave.
    On the other hand about advising your friends and they may not be Christians or even they are just looking for the logic and the rationale behind why not to smoke marijuana, if you take a big stone from the earth you can build a house with it or you can hit some one and kill him, so what is the rationale behind that? It is an earth product!
    Marijuana and all other types of drugs they take the person away from reality and make them live short time in the world of fantasy and escape, but when its affect is gone they will be back to what they were running away from with a big price tag, all scientific studies and the logic of science tells us about the brine damage and the permanent physical and psychological damage and the irreversible distractive affects of drugs.

• Well put aad99. I love the comment about the rock. That makes perfect sense that a rock comes from earth and it can be used to build a house or kill someone. Thanks for your post.
  • It says in the bible that our body is the temple of God! so y would u like to damage ur temple! also God commanded us by saying be Holy as I am Holy! so be holy as God is holy! is smoking this being holy!? i don't think so!!! Can I ask u a question?go up to ur friends and ask them,  "DOn't u think smoking is a bad thing? if u do think it is a bad thing then y do it If the Bible says to not do sin cuz as we all know bad things r considered sin and if u don't think it is bad, y? y don't u think it is bad? U have to find out wut is going around in their mind to help them! let them talk to u so u will be able to help them!!

1 Peter 1:16
    because it is written, “Be holy, for I am holy.”
  • couldnt have said it better than thirsty for christ.
  • Marijuanna and cigarettes are both addictive.....and being addicted to anything is a sin
  • [quote author=coptic youth link=topic=6996.msg93532#msg93532 date=1217928382]
    couldnt have said it better than thirsty for christ.

thnx!!! I appreciate that u actually read this!! so thank u!!
  • Who said that God didn't mention smoking Marijuanna in the bible ... He mentioned it man ...

Read the bible and know how to glorify God in Your Body:

12  ¶ All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

20  For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

Read those verses and understand them and you will know the answer.

Thanks ...
  • [quote author=Conqueror link=topic=6996.msg93485#msg93485 date=1217713090]
    You guys make alot of sense. I am not here to disagree with you, just looking for some support and verses and wisdom so that I may help my friends who are all on it. You know as well as I that marijuana is all over the place and is being used by millions if not billions so its hard to convince others not to use it. Especially now when doctors are using it for medical. For example a friend of mine Dad starting using it because he has diabetes and its better than taking all those pills for pain and what not. Now in that case is he wrong for taking it even though his doctor prescribed it?

there is a difference between using it for medical reasons and using it because you like the feeling.