Evil Spirits, Ghost Hauntings, and Graveyards

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hey Everyone,

So what is the Church's view exactly on Ghost Hauntings, Ghosts in Graveyards and Evil Spirits residing in places? Also, when I say Ghosts, I don't mean devils, I mean the spirits of dead people. We hear myths, legends and stories about these things but are they true? Can the spirit of a dead person lurk around a graveyard for eternity? Can it reveal itself to someone and scare him and/or hurt him?

One theory I heard was that Ghost hauntings are true in a way but not in another. This is because the Spirits of people don't lurk around certain places but rather demons do. Demons lurk around certain places do to something evil in the place or someone evil who is living or has lived there. This was the most logical theory I've heard but what is the truth??

PK

Comments

• these are all myths... and if you agree with it then you say that there is no Heaven or Hell... the spirits of the righteous are in Paradise... and are allowed in situations to visit people by the permission of God! and the spirits of the damned are in hades and will remain there...

now are there places which are "haunted" maybe you can call it that... but the devil is the one who can do such...  he can come in whatever form... in which he will scare, and if summed can be very hurtful if not fatal!

Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came among them.  And the LORD said to Satan, “From where do you come?” So Satan answered the LORD and said, “From going to and fro on the earth, and from walking back and forth on it.”

so he's just going back and forth... playing with our minds!
  • I agree. They are all myths. Do not let the devil play with your mind concerning such things.
  • So when you hear about haunted places and stuff, could it be Satan taking the form of a person who lived there? Sometimes Satan dresses up like an angel to try to play tricks on holy monks. Is it possible that haunted places really do exist but not in the way that Western Society thinks of it??
  • and are allowed in situations to visit people by the permission of God! and the spirits of the damned are in hades and will remain there...

really???
    how do you know this..and what are the situations>>??

also...why is the devil allowed to ..idk...change forms and ect.? :/
  • [quote author=copticcross3 link=topic=6838.msg91815#msg91815 date=1214631472]

and are allowed in situations to visit people by the permission of God! and the spirits of the damned are in hades and will remain there...

really???

Peter, James and John saw Elijah and Moses visiting with Jesus. Matthew 17:1
  • really???

really indeed! the situations are the situations that please God... and by His will alone! but now as copticcross mentioned one of the situations! and all the miracles in which saints appear, or when messages are made through deceased ones and/or saints!

the devil is a tricky being... and its a spirit... thus able to take the shapes and forms of many things... actually if you read the readings of the day... in the synixar, in the story of the Departure of St. Latsoun El-Bahnasawy, he was visited by St. Balamon (Palaemon). Satan had appeared to him disguised as a woman. Satan tried to persuade him to marry her by mentioning some of the Old Testament men that were married but yet were righteous. St. Balamon realized that he was the devil....