Name Day

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Hi,

I was just curious, u know the in Greek Orthodox Church, they give their kids 2 names: One for the day of their birth, and then one for the saint's day that the child was baptised on. In effect they have 2 birthdays: One for the day of their birth, and then the other for their name (its called their "Name's Day").

Do we have anything similar in our Church? Did we have anything similar in our CHurch?

I just wish to reassure everyone that even if we don't, I'm still happy being Coptic (ya3ni.. more or less)

THanks

Comments

• LOL

sorry I'm not sure.

It seems there's no real point to me replying... but since I already wrote this, I may as well post it.

+God Bless.
  • Answer for now is no. Before I dunno.

pray for me

joe
  • I think its a bit of a shame we do not celebrate Name day's - like our Greek Orthodox brothers.

Do we have anything alternative at least??

That does not mean I still wish to be Greek Orthodox (of course unless they decide to give each person a sony playstation III to celebrate the Name Day, then this may cause problems for some people - but not me.. no. Not at all. It will take more than a Sony Playstation, Tzaziki salad, feta cheese or breaking plates to make me even want to leave my Church).
  • well you know for Catholics they are given a 'christian name' on their confirmation day?

and since we the Orthodox get confirmed on the same day we get baptised...some people get baptised by a different name to their legal name..

my sister has a baptism name that is different to her official name and i know other people in my family who also have these
  • [quote author=mnc_hnn link=topic=6821.msg91388#msg91388 date=1214226854]
    well you know for Catholics they are given a 'christian name' on their confirmation day?

and since we the Orthodox get confirmed on the same day we get baptised...some people get baptised by a different name to their legal name..

my sister has a baptism name that is different to her official name and i know other people in my family who also have these

Wow..
    That's good. So our Church does in fact do something.

Im not 100% clear how it works in the Greek Church, but I know they have 2 celebrations: a) on the day of their birth, and b) on the day of the saint that they were baptised under.

But we don't seem to celebrate that - do we?
  • I don't think we do. But I know that most people get baptism names in our church. My name is already the name of one of the saints so i didn't get one. But my sister since she didn't have a Christian name at baptism, they gave her the name Rebecca under St. Rebecca the Martyr. Some people give baptism names to their children even if they already have Christian names.
  • No we don't.  But when your baptised you get a siants name=)
    Mine is Youstina=))

/
    mahraeel
    plzz p4m sister in Christ
  • BUt what was it before? I mean, what did the Church do before to celebrate the Day of Baptism or the Saint's name chosen for baptism.

If baptism is a 2nd birth, surely the Church would have done something that perhaps we have stopped doing ourselves now? Im nearly positive.
  • I know for a fact that the child can be given a "baptism name", but I have absolutely no idea if this is a rite of the church or just a tradition of parents. My name is "Matthew" but my baptism name is "Isaiah".

The Greek "Name's Day" practice sounds like an excellent idea though. The Coptic church makes a HUGE deal out of baptism, but we don't seem to regard it as a big deal at the level of the congregation, which is a shame. This has made me think a great deal more though.
    I'll be sure to ask someone who knows more about this topic when I have the chance

Pray for me,
    Matthew (Isaiah :P)