baptisem

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
i know i am ready for baptisem... but abona says he has to be sure that i am ready.now abona and i meet once a week so he is not around me so much i have been goin to church for about a total of 17 months now.and now i am 100 percent ready what do you guys think? should it be that i know i am ready or when abona says i am ready?

Comments

• Patience i the key.... Maybe Abouna is somewhat "testing" you.....  maybe He wants to see how good you are at following the instructions you are given without complaining.... 

do you know Arabic??  if you do.. this might help..: "  'ebn 'el ta3a yehel 3leih 'el baraka    "
  • Ultimately its Gods choice when you are to be baptised. So if God truly wanted you to be  baptised right now, he would have lead you to another abouna who would say yes, or he would have somehow made this abouna think you were ready. There is no rush, you will soon recieve an incredible gift. But it looks like you already recieved one. You seem very eager to be baptised and the Lord must be very pleased with you.
  • Hi. Sorry to change the question a little.. but why exactly is waiting necessary?
    We baptise infants who do not even understand the sacraments simply because we believe baptism is necessary for salvation.. If an infant is prematurely born or sick, they may even be baptised in the hospital! We do this ASAP to make sure they do not die before they are baptised....
    Now why is it different for someone who is converting?
  • Hi. Sorry to change the question a little.. but why exactly is waiting necessary?
    We baptise infants who do not even understand the sacraments simply because we believe baptism is necessary for salvation.. If an infant is prematurely born or sick, they may even be baptised in the hospital! We do this ASAP to make sure they do not die before they are baptised....
    Now why is it different for someone who is converting?

Don't quote me on this, but I think it's to do with that fact that the parents take the vows on behalf on the infant. The infant themselves is too young and unable to understand the promises they are making before God. For example, the parent promises to raise the child in the church in the fear of God etc.
    In the case of a competent adult, I think that they are making the promises on behalf of themselves, so it must be established if they are ready to make these promises and whether they know "what they're getting themselves into".

Can someone verify any of this, or am I talking rubbish?
  • Well that makes sence...
    Thanks!