Re: Mark 9:1

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
What did Jesus mean when he said: "Assuredly, I say to you that there are some here who will not taste death till they see the kingdom of God present with power."

Does that mean there are still people living today who were alive when Christ walked the earth? I think movies like 'The Highlander' are based on this verse.

Comments

• maybe it means not like physical death or actually dieing... i think he's talking about a non-believer and how he feels as if his life is good w/ out God and church but after he sees the the power of God then he feels his life is nothing...
    im not sure about this verse...
    please correct me b/c i think im wrong lol
    pray4me
    copticdeacon
  • The key part here is "the kingdom of God present with power"... was not the Transfiguration power? And the miracles Christ performed powers? And his Resurrection from the dead power? This verse does not necessarily mean the end of ages or the Judgement. The Kingdom of God was manifested in Christ's time on Earth in power many times and after his death e.g. the Descending of the Holy Spirit on the disciples on Pentecost.

pray for me

joe
  • Yes, power, but what about the kingdom of God present. Is the Kingdom Heaven? Maybe Abba can explain.
  • [quote author=elsi70x7 link=topic=6777.msg90936#msg90936 date=1213726224]
    What did Jesus mean when he said: "Assuredly, I say to you that there are some here who will not taste death till they see the kingdom of God present with power."

Does that mean there are still people living today who were alive when Christ walked the earth? I think movies like 'The Highlander' are based on this verse.

"Assuredly, I say to you that there are some here who will not taste death till they see the kingdom of God present with power."

The verse in itself is a prophecy that was and still going to be fulfilled. According to abouna Tadros yacoub there are three explanations:
    1)Some believe that this verse was fulfilled when peter, john, and James saw & witnessed the transfiguration of Christ and enjoyed his glory and power of his resurrection,  especially this verse came right before this event.

2)Other think that the Kingdom of Heaven here refer to the church of the new Testament where the bible was preached all over the world among gentiles, Jews, and those without faith. Some disciples have seen & witnessed, and they were still in their earthly bodies, the Pentecost, the word of God spreading among many and the Kingdome of Heaven is being known to many people strongly then the van glory of the world.

3)Others see this prophesy as a promise present in all ages where the believers enjoy regularly when they live a pure Christian live without tasting the death of sin and see the power of God working in their lives. Or those whom the grace of God has given them a chance to witness his power and repent and return to him.

Saint John saba says: “ Blessed is the soul that gathered itself from emerging into foolishness, entered itself and saw the Lord setting on his throne, which is the mind, and accepted a new commend which is mean the spiritual love, which is fulfillness of the law.

I hope this answerd your question.
    Plz Pray for me.

• [quote author=SaintaMaria05 link=topic=6777.msg91031#msg91031 date=1213819908]
    [quote author=elsi70x7 link=topic=6777.msg90936#msg90936 date=1213726224]

"Assuredly, I say to you that there are some here who will not taste death till they see the kingdom of God present with power."

The verse in itself is a prophecy that was and still going to be fulfilled. According to abouna Tadros yacoub there are three explanations:
    1)Some believe that this verse was fulfilled when peter, john, and James saw & witnessed the transfiguration of Christ and enjoyed his glory and power of his resurrection,  especially this verse came right before this event.

2)Other think that the Kingdom of Heaven here refer to the church of the new Testament where the bible was preached all over the world among gentiles, Jews, and those without faith. Some disciples have seen & witnessed, and they were still in their earthly bodies, the Pentecost, the word of God spreading among many and the Kingdome of Heaven is being known to many people strongly then the van glory of the world.

3)Others see this prophesy as a promise present in all ages where the believers enjoy regularly when they live a pure Christian live without tasting the death of sin and see the power of God working in their lives. Or those whom the grace of God has given them a chance to witness his power and repent and return to him.

Saint John saba says: “ Blessed is the soul that gathered itself from emerging into foolishness, entered itself and saw the Lord setting on his throne, which is the mind, and accepted a new commend which is mean the spiritual love, which is fulfillness of the law.

I hope this answerd your question.
    Plz Pray for me.

Those are very beautiful explainations SaintaMaria. Thanks and Praise to our compassionate Holy Father in Jesus Christ's name!!!