THE SEVEN DEADLY SINS

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Are they actually in the bible, or just a Catholic thing,
or are they suppose to be composed of various spots in the bible or are they all mentioned in 1 chapter or sumthin.

Comments

• I've never actually read them in the Bible (all mentioned at the same time at least). And I have never read about them being labeled as "seven deadly sins". But logically, they all seem to be characteristics that our religion says we should not have.
    Anger
    Lust
    Gluttony
    Pride
    Envy
    Greed
    Sloth
    What they neglected to mention, was blaspheming the Holy Spirit, which is mentioned a few times in the Gospels as being an unforgivable sin. This leads me to believe the 7 sins may have just been something the Catholic church developed as a "moral code." And if you think about it, this society (american) seems to thrive on money, sex, lazyness, indulgence and rage.

I don't know maybe someone else can provide insight...
  • All I know that John Milton has metioned them in his book "Paradise Lost".
    But i thing it's a Catholic thing.
    Pray for me.
  • Who is john Miltion? I concur with sunbabynj that those 7 points can be traced back to be the source of all of our sin. By letting any one of them slightly affect us we become may become subject to the devil and his temptations because they slowly grow and demand more and more attention so that they may thrive. I’ve never read of them mentioned together as “the seven deadly sins” nor have I heard that they were written all in one chapter. I suppose it is a fabrication of the Catholic Church, but a fine one…
    God bless you all.
    -Mark
  • Hmmm, I'm not too sure, but I think its a Catholic thing. That doesn't mean that this can't be beneficial, it just means that its not "official".
  • the consequence of sin is death...its says so right in the Bible. So i agree...al sins are deadly sins. Yet if you examine the issue closely, all sins will fall i none of those catagories, thts all there is to it.
  • [quote author=SunBabyNJ link=board=1;threadid=194;start=0#msg900 date=1082873071]
    And if you think about it, this society (american) seems to thrive on money, sex, lazyness, indulgence and rage.

The majority of america isn't even catholic. there has only been one catholic president and down south and up north they're all wasps.
  • It's definitely not a Catholic thing..it's in the Orthodox Study Bible which was actually to my surprise. I don't know refrences but I'm sure that there is refrences. There is nothing in our faith that doesn't have a biblical background. God bless.
  • well we all know of one really deadly sin and rthats blastpheming against the Holy Spirit. i have a question about that, does that mean that there is no chance for u to go to heaven, thats its its done???
  • well by Plaspheming the HS means to give up hope...thats only thtough suicide...and if ur dead how can God forgive u??
  • Wait, I'm not quite sure I understand. Blaspheming the Holy Spirit means to loose hope, i.e. commit suicide? I thought it meant disgracing the Holy Spirit in some way? So the only unforgivable sin is suicide? Actually, I guess that makes sense in a way.
  • Though suicide may be filed under blasphemy of the Holy Spirit (and i stress may again), it certainly does not define it, nor is it exclusive to it.

Please see this thread for more information: http://tasbeha.org/content/community/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=1073
  • i dont think there is a such thing as the 7 deadly sin
    cuz ALL sins are EQUAL

• But seeing how God is a forging God and a very generous one at that...if your alive and you deny the Holy Spirit...and then REPENT (i.e: not going back to the same trash you came from) you'll be forgiven...but since denying the works of the HS n u means giving up all together, because remember the HS is the Comforter...i.e. it comforts...i.e. u didn't feel comforted when u need it the most so u resulted to suicide out of ignorance...then you can't be pardoned.
  • hey guys
    i agree wit beshoyrm and also wat sum of u guys sed
    but at youth meeting last fri. we were talkin bout the suicide thingo rite and we sed if u commit suicide u wont b saved, who r we to jusge where they r gong?! then our priest told us a story of this monk that had a dream that God would bring a chariot and take him up like elijah and this guy belived him. but what he had to do was climb reely high in the mountain and go in then he sed to the monks ok im goin 4 good and they sed wat father where and y he sed i had a dreem of so and so and i fasted and prayed bla bla bla so i am goin so he went and he went to step in as it was in the air and it vanished as it was from the devil and died and my priest sed thats kind of suicide but how do u no in those hours or days that he was on the floor how did u no he repented? so we cant say wether they go heven or hell

GB ALL
    +FROG+
  • [quote author=FULLY RELY ON GOD link=board=1;threadid=194;start=15#msg22863 date=1112187105]
    bla bla bla
    +FROG+

LOL

that was the only part that was funny
    but that storry was sad !
  • According to the Book of Revelation, a group of people will not enter into the Kingdom of God, Rev. 21:8

8- But the cowardly, unbelieving,[e] abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death

Even the sin of lie will not permite the person to go to Heaven
    What is meant by the seven sins, I imagine, please correct me if I am wrong, that it will open the door of a person' heart to the Devil, the world and the flesh to stay and have deep roots to finally kill the person spiritually if he/ she does not repent.
  • [quote author=MarMar91 link=board=1;threadid=194;start=15#msg22875 date=1112197575]
    OMG, are you serious, that horrible! :-X That's just awful. I thought the Devil wasn't allowed to do stuff like that. I dont think thats fair, but I'll tell u that doesn't seem like suicide, cuz he thought God would catch him, so it was really a show of his faith, but I find that just horrific... :o

i dont no thats wat my priest sed o yes and the monk didnt tel his FOC for advice just dun it so its suicide or sumthin

beshoyrm i couldnt b bothered to rite the rest and no1 wood b interested anyway lol that wasnt ment to b funny lol u hav a funny sense of humor lol nar jkz

GB ALL
    +FROG+
  • Well, I think that these 7 sins are categorized as being "deadly" as opposed to the other ones because they defile the holy temple of God: your body. Other sins are just as bad, and if one doesnt repent and confess them, they will ultimately lead to death also, but the "seven deadly sins" are ones that directly affect your physical state. At least that's what I understood from the whole situation.

Does it make sense?
  • so basically if you blastphem against the Holy Spirit, there no hope for you at all?? like you cant repent or anything or ask God to Forgive or confess?????
  • OMGOODNESS wwjd OF COARSE u can repent if u repent/confess etc. yes God is a just and loving God of coarse He will accept it

GB ALL
    +FROG+
  • there are many contemplations on that verse about blaspheming against the holy spirit pope shenuda said in his book answering biblical questions that it was denying the holy spirit to work through you, in other words sining with out repentance...therefore when u repent u are saved, it only if u die in that sin of blaspheming against the holy spirit.

however that is a contemplation in context blaspheming against the holy spirit meant saying that the holy spirit = the devil (belzibub) as Jesus said this verse wen the people said "he cast out demons through beelzibub" as he was casting out spirits by the power of the holy spirit.
  • guys as ppl said b4, all da sins are deadly an as frog saids if u repent and confess god will forgive- did u 4get wat christianity was about?? i gues all wat we can do is ask 4 god frogivnes to keep us away from such evil things
  • Good stuff MarMar91, GJI and mazza ;) :) :D ;D
    absolutely correct

GB ALL
    +FROG+