Quiet Time

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hello,

I wanted to ask your opinions about "Quiet Time". I attended this Church meeting and the topic was called "Quiet Time". Abouna said its so important to spend time alone, meditating.

Does anyone do that? If I find myself alone, i'm just gutted, and then that qualifies for quiet time. But do any of u actually want to spend a few hours alone?

I mean, abouna said that if u do not do this, u will never enjoy the mass. Having said that, I mentioned that I happen to pray well in the mass actually. He said :" Ya Cutie pa tootie... habiibi... no no... za devil will do all he can so zat u attend za mass, but so zat u do not have ONE minute alone by yourself to contemplate.

And frankly, after nearly 1 year, i couldnt agree more with him. I do realise the importance of praying in solitude for a bit.

Does anyone else see that? What do u do to have your quiet time?

Comments

• [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=6647.msg88700#msg88700 date=1211914907]
    Hello,

I wanted to ask your opinions about "Quiet Time". I attended this Church meeting and the topic was called "Quiet Time". Abouna said its so important to spend time alone, meditating.

Does anyone do that? If I find myself alone, i'm just gutted, and then that qualifies for quiet time. But do any of u actually want to spend a few hours alone?

I mean, abouna said that if u do not do this, u will never enjoy the mass. Having said that, I mentioned that I happen to pray well in the mass actually. He said :" Ya Cutie pa tootie... habiibi... no no... za devil will do all he can so zat u attend za mass, but so zat u do not have ONE minute alone by yourself to contemplate.

And frankly, after nearly 1 year, i couldnt agree more with him. I do realise the importance of praying in solitude for a bit.

well this is a great way of connecting with God. the term, when i first heard it, Fr. Anthony Messeh from D.C. and Fr. Bishoy who serves with him were really taking this in a serious way. but their main goal was reading the Bible, not just sitting alone. they actually have schedules for this and verses to be read on specific days and they have some nice sermons about this "Quiet Time" on orthodoxsermons.org
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=6647.msg88707#msg88707 date=1211917037]
    [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=6647.msg88700#msg88700 date=1211914907]
    Hello,

well this is a great way of connecting with God. the term, when i first heard it, Fr. Anthony Messeh from D.C. and Fr. Bishoy who serves with him were really taking this in a serious way. but their main goal was reading the Bible, not just sitting alone. they actually have schedules for this and verses to be read on specific days and they have some nice sermons about this "Quiet Time" on orthodoxsermons.org

I could not believe the extent abouna was stressing on "Quiet Time". Ya3ni, he was saying that the devil will allow u to go to mass, but NEVER to spend a minute alone.

But OK, what do u do to ensure u have had your "Quiet Time"?
  • Take care when you say"Quiet time" alone, then do go and sit and do nothing and be IDLE...  if you are then the devil will attack, keep busy and the devil wont find tons time to attack like if you were just sitting doing nothing.....  i beleive in "Quiet Time" they mean quiet time with the Bible or a Spiritual book or talking to God....
  • My mother always told me that staying alone for more then an hour is really unhealthy...I don't know why though...I do agree with both Mina and Cutie.
    Any reasons why that might be unhealthy from the Worldly point of view?
    (I kind of answered my question.) Isn't it because it's unhealthy spending time in front of a video game or doing nothing but if you spend the "Alone Time" with God it's ok.

God Bless,
    Copt Andrew
  • toooo long alone will start to get you bored and you will fall in TEMPTATION...   
  • Well I am very used to the concept of Daily Quiet Time. I'm from MD and the idea was always taught to us by DC's servants along with our attendance there, and our church servants.  Quiet Time is never just time alone. It is a time were you read the bible and let God speak to you. let Him give you the message for the day. You are essentially never alone since you should be reading a passage from the bible. God is with you during all the time you want to spend with Him.

Along with the concept, there is a quiet time schedule that is issued by St. Mark's DC for daily readings that you should meditate on early in the morning, in order to have a guide to follow for the rest of the day. Here is the link for the 2008 copy:

http://stmarkdc.org/en/quiettime

Here you will find the schedule in both English and Arabic, along with a guide if you're new to using it. Enjoy!

And may their service flourish!
  • Thanks Tishori
  • Glad to help!

God Bless =D
  • [quote author=Tishori link=topic=6647.msg88727#msg88727 date=1211924036]
    Well I am very used to the concept of Daily Quiet Time. I'm from MD and the idea was always taught to us by DC's servants along with our attendance there, and our church servants.  Quiet Time is never just time alone. It is a time were you read the bible and let God speak to you. let Him give you the message for the day. You are essentially never alone since you should be reading a passage from the bible. God is with you during all the time you want to spend with Him.

Along with the concept, there is a quiet time schedule that is issued by St. Mark's DC for daily readings that you should meditate on early in the morning, in order to have a guide to follow for the rest of the day. Here is the link for the 2008 copy:

http://stmarkdc.org/en/quiettime

Here you will find the schedule in both English and Arabic, along with a guide if you're new to using it. Enjoy!

And may their service flourish!

Wow.. its good u were taught this in Sunday School.

Why doesn't anyone here answer my question:

what do u do to make ensure that you have your quiet time? Do u plan it? Do u tell everyone that u want to be alone? What if u get a phone call?
    Do u turn your phones off at that time?
  • In my house we have quiet time as a family. We read the Bible and pray together and ask any questions that we have. When the phone rings we ignore it. Then return the phone call back later.    God should be our first priority.
  • [quote author=Loca4Christ link=topic=6647.msg88777#msg88777 date=1211984242]
    In my house we have quiet time as a family. We read the Bible and pray together and ask any questions that we have. When the phone rings we ignore it. Then return the phone call back later.    God should be our first priority.

Gosh, that's an excellent idea. We'll definately do that.

Oh! What do u do when u read the Bible? Do u read together, or each to himself?
  • we read the Bible together and Pray together.
  • We divide the chapter and read aloud. for example today  we read Revelation 16 it had 21 verses and we were 4 so  3 people get 5 and 1 gets 6 .
    you get what i mean???
  • I was taught that it is better to wake up earlier and to spend a good 20-25 minutes with God and just do the quiet time reading for the day. But if you're like me and not a morning person, it is sometimes harder to concentrate, so I actually sometimes do it the night before and then meditate on the reading throughout the day. then later when i come home from school i actually sit, pray, read it over a few times and take advantage of my time together with God.

=D
  • I love to spend time alone (in moderation, i cant do it for to long or i start to sort of panic, if you understand the feeling) (i dont mean actually panic i just start to breath heavy and i get a head ach)

but i love to anyway, i sit and i love talkin to a picture or icon of Jesus, and i sometimes forget how much time ive been there, but sadly with exams, am afraid to sit to long, and i end up wasting time one my comp.

Pray for me all exams a week from tom.

I hope that everyone knows that "quiet time" is not just something you should do to contemplate the odas,
    use it to pray to God and listen to him.

sometimes i want to leave all my work and sit with him and let him take care of me,

but i remember the words of St. Augustine:
    Pray as if everything depended on God, work as if it all depended on you.

God Bless
  • wow i feel like i totally killed this thread ive been the last poster for about 3 weeks now lol

did i do something to upset anyone?!?!?
  • maybe everyone got inspired and decided to take quiet time from the computer... LOL

Hope your exams are going well, plz pray for me too, since I also have exams...

I know what you mean though on quiet time: sometimes I just want to spend all my time reading the bible and contemplating and praying to God, but there's always something hindering that as in worldly obligations..

I'm a people person generally, yet I truly enjoy just being alone, away from everything and everyone and just think and drift away in thoughts...

God Bless
    Please pray for me, a sinner
  • Thank you

And May the Prayers of Pope Kyrollos, Amba Karas, and St. Mary help you on your exams

and dont worry Pope Kyrollos and Amba Karas will be holding ur hand during the exam and St Mary tooo