Why????

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Why is it wrong to kiss a girl???? before marriage

Comments

• Because you don't know where a kiss can lead to... In the Lord's prayer we say :Lead us not into temptation... would it be right to bring ourselves into temptation?
    Besides, 1 Cor. 3:16 - 'Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?' Is it proper to do stuff like kissing with something that belongs to God? He gave you your body to use it with responsibility.

GB and keep me in your prayers :)
  • Ask yourself this question:
    If i was married, would it be okay to go kiss another woman? I hope the answer is no. Well, in the same sense if you can't do it with someone else during marriage, then that means it's something to be kept for marriage, with this one person that you will be united to. This is the general rule that I learned from people wiser than me.

Something else to concider: depending of the life phase you are in, you won't be sure this other person will be ur future wife/husband. Now, would u feel comfortable knowing that you had intimat physical contact with other people before? Could you look into the eyes of your partner in front of the altar telling him/her that you have given a part of your heart to someone else previously? Would you accept this same thing from your partner?

The last point is that you don't know where this kissing may lead to as irini pointed out.
    Can a man take fire in his bosom, and his clothes not be burned? (Prov 6:27)
  • The answer is really simple:

'Unmarried people shouldn't do married people stuff.'
    - Fr Anthony Messeh
  • My sunday school teacher said that if u kiss someone before getting married, it is like cheating on ur future husband or wife.
  • [quote author=*Regretful+Sinner* link=topic=6630.msg88492#msg88492 date=1211763524]
    My sunday school teacher said that if u kiss someone before getting married, it is like cheating on ur future husband or wife.

what???

Ask yourself this question:
    If i was married, would it be okay to go kiss another woman? I hope the answer is no. Well, in the same sense if you can't do it with someone else during marriage, then that means it's something to be kept for marriage, with this one person that you will be united to. This is the general rule that I learned from people wiser than me.

why would you compare not being married to being married????

i mean i agree with the whole you don't want to lead yourself into other more serious things...but the rest of the stuff...i'm kind of iffy aboutt.
  • What would be the reason for you to kiss that person??????????? if it is because you have feelings for them, then no, it is not right, and if it is for any random reason, thenno, it is still not right
  • same reason you kiss your parents....or your siblings....
  • [quote author=copticcross3 link=topic=6630.msg88501#msg88501 date=1211772524]
    [quote author=*Regretful+Sinner* link=topic=6630.msg88492#msg88492 date=1211763524]
    My sunday school teacher said that if u kiss someone before getting married, it is like cheating on ur future husband or wife.

what???

Any physical contact of this sort (we both know we're not talking about kissing your mum) is restricted to the Holy Sacrament of Marriage. This means that you do not breach it before or after you get married because it is for married people to do. It's as plain as that. Whether you're married or not married, you would still be kissing a person that you are NOT married to, hence you are cheating on your future/present partner.
  • I just want to say that I know you may feel this is a tad bit extreme given the environment we live in, in western countries. However, there has to come a point where you identify yourself as a Christian. Either now, tomorrow, or in 20 years...

Its important because God does not like people who are lukewarm. If u are cold in your faith, its OK, if you are hot in your faith, its OK, but to be both is totally unacceptable to God.

Once you take that step of saying "I AM a Christian" - then it means you are someone who takes care about his/her sexual purity, and the purity of your heart. It means that you are diligent with respect to what you do so that you not cause yourself, nor others to stumble.

You know, Saint Paul says that if eating a certain food causes my brother to stumble, then we should not eat it. What about kissing? In your honest opinion - surely that's the same?? Surely that could cause the other to stumble??

There is a mentality that says "OK. great! Let them stumble. That's what I want" - then where is your faith?

I just want to reassure you, that this type of mentality is FAR from Orthodox (i.e. Don't kiss before marriage). Its typical Christian, and as much as I enjoy making fun of them, its the protestant Americans who definately take the lead with respect to the purity of heart and the limits one has to put before him/her to live in integrity of faith, and purity of heart, mind and body.

Don't forget, the Lord's Commandment of loving Him with all your soul, mind and heart.

There is no kiss, no girl in the world that is worth losing or compromising your love for God over. Trust me.
  • [quote author=copticcross3 link=topic=6630.msg88501#msg88501 date=1211772524]
    [quote author=*Regretful+Sinner* link=topic=6630.msg88492#msg88492 date=1211763524]

what???

i mean i agree with the whole you don't want to lead yourself into other more serious things...but the rest of the stuff...i'm kind of iffy aboutt.

ok look!!! i will give u an example. this was said in another topic the same as this topic!!! it said, think about this something 1 of my servants told me: evey time u have kiss or somthing it is likeletting ur partner take a bite of fruit that u have. if u marry another person u letting them hhave bit from the same fruit.and most people dont want to bite from the same fruit that somebody else ate from. would u?
  • As a Christian, we have what's called "marriage". Its where we can do these things in the blessing and unity with God.
    Outside that is a sin.

Remember the story of the prodigal son? He wanted his father's inheritance when his dad was alive. Its like saying: "i want to live my life, but without God". If your parents were standing there watching u, would u feel embarassed to do that?

I disagree with the example given below.. it doesnt sound very Christian. Just remember that the idea is NOT to be led into temptation. That's all. You'll really regret this.

Again, i stress, this is not just Copts who think this way. Far from it.. you'd be surprised. I am mentioning this because I know that had u met the people I met, it would definately give u a lot of encouragement in keeping your integrity as a Christian.