nice Quotes / Short stories....

Hey everybody, hope everybody is doing great, i just wanted to know and share nice quotes from Saints, Church Fathers, Preists, Bible...  and short stories of famous Saints and Church fathers...  there is anoher topic about this by Iqbal but that one is old and nobody post in there anymore....   

ok.. i will start:  "A mere look at the desert can mortify all of man's lusts" (St.Isaac the Syrian)

Abba  Xanthios ( never heard of Him before...) said, "A dog is  better than I am, for  he has love and he does
not judge."

[hr]                                                                                                                        [hr]
Some monks came to see abba Lucius and they said to him, "We  do not work with
our hands;  we  obey Paul's command  and  pray without  ceasing."  The old man
said, "Do you not eat or sleep?" They said, "Yes, we do."  He said, "Who prays
for you while you are asleep?... Excuse me, brothers, but  you do not practice
what you claim. I will show you how I pray without ceasing, though I work with
my hands."

"With God's  help, I collect  a few palm-leaves and sit  down and weave them,
saying, "Have mercy upon me, O God, after thy great  goodnes; according to the
miltitude of thy  mercies do away with mine  offences."  He said to them,  "Is
this prayer or not?" They said, "Yes, it is."

And he continued, "When I have worked and prayed  in my heart  all day, I make
about sixteen pence. Two of these I put ouside my door and with the rest I buy
food. And he who finds the two coins outside the door prays for me while I eat
and sleep. And so by the help of God I pray without ceasing."

God Bless

Coptic Pharaoh

Comments

• Another story

A hunter in the desert saw abba antony enjoying himself with the brothers, and
    he was  shocked. Wanting to  show him that it was  necessary sometimes to meet
    the needs of the brothers, the old man said to him,  "Put an arrow in your bow
    and shoot it." So he  did. And the old man  said, "Shoot another," and he  did
    so. Then the old man ssaid, "Shoot yet  again," and the  hunter replied, "If I
    bend my bow so  much, I will break it."  Then the old  man said to him, "It is
    the same with the work of God. If we stretch the brothers beyond measure, they
    will soon break. Sometimes it is necessary to come down to meet their needs."

• Cast all your worries on God, He's going to be up all night anyway

(not trying to poke fun)

Any fool can count the seeds in an apple, but only GOD can count the apples in one seed

Pray as if everything depended on God and work as if it all depended on you  (St. Augustine)
  • He who kneels before God, can stand before anyone

that is my favorite quote!!!!
  • God awnsers Knee-mail....
  • Once an atheist asked a christian: What if you die and find out that there was no God and no hell and no heaven. Won't you regret having spent your entire life following His commandments and obiding by His rules?
    The christian answered: If after I die I find out that there is no God, I won't regret anything because I found the teachings of the Bible so beautiful and it was my pleasure to live by them. But what will you do when you die and find out that God does exist and that you didn't believe in Him ???

God Bless
  • Abba Anthony thought about the depth of the judgements of God, he asked, 'Lord, how is it
    that some die when they are young, while others drag on to extreme old age? Why are there those who are poor and those who are rich? Why do wicked men prosper and why
    are the just in need?' He heard a voice answering him, 'Anthony, keep your attention on yourself; these things are according to the judgement of God, and it is not to your advantage to know anything about them.'

Abba Anthony said to Abba Poemen, 'this is the great work of a man: always to take the blame for his own sins before God and to expect temptation to his last breath.'

P.s. if u really want really cool sayings and short stories u have to read the second volume of paradise of the desert fathers, even though its really really hard to find, but u can dl thr book in a pdf file from these links

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/athanasius/paradise1.html ;         this is the second volume

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/athanasius/paradise2.html ;         this is the first volume.
  • [quote author=soldier for scetis link=topic=6601.msg87923#msg87923 date=1211026032]

P.s. if u really want really cool sayings and short stories u have to read the second volume of paradise of the desert fathers, even though its really really hard to find, but u can dl thr book in a pdf file from these links

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/athanasius/paradise1.html ;         this is the second volume

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/athanasius/paradise2.html ;         this is the first volume.

Thanks for posting.  :)
  • If the world knocks you unto your knees your in the perfect position to pray (i  love this one)

Satan, the Hinderer, may build a barrier about us, but he can never roof us in, so that we cannot look up.

Id rather walk with God in the dark than alone in the light

Faith makes a Christian. Life proves a Christian. Trial confirms a Christian. Death crowns a Christian.

What we are is God's gift to us. What we become is our gift to God.

People see God every day, they just don't recognize him.

Christian means coming from Christ. Just as a Californian comes from California and a Bostonian is someone who comes from Boston, A Christian is one who comes from Christ.  (Love this one too)

God is a circle whose centre is everywhere and circumference nowhere.

Darkness cannot put out the Light. It can only make God brighter.(one of my favs)

One ABC of Christianity: ''Always Be Cheerful'' [1 Thessalonians 5:16]

You do well to believe in God. Satan also believes...and trembles. James 2:19 (when i first heard this a few years back i was shocked as to how many ppl the devil has tricked when he himself TREMBLES)

When you knock, ask to see God - none of the servants.

Bear the Cross cheerfully and it will bear you.

A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.

i hope you enjoy these
  • LOVE them all !! :D Thanks!
  • Don't tell God how big the storm is, but tell the storm how big your God is.

Pope Shenouda said this one, it's so beautiful: The weapon of death is in the hands of your enemies but your life is in the hands of God.

• [quote author=josephgabriel link=topic=6601.msg87981#msg87981 date=1211182503]
    Check these out:

http://tasbeha.org/content/community/index.php?topic=3774

pray for me

joe

there are some AMASING  stories on there...    u should post new ones on here....
  • lol I let that die down ages ago... you want me to keep posting>?
  • on this topic..  this discution here not the other plz... and where do u get all these stories????  is there a web for it?
  • Abba Xanthias said,

'The thief was on the cross and he was justified by a single word; and Judas who was counted in the number of the apostles lost all his labour in one single night and descended from heaven to hell. Therefore, let no-one boast of his good works, for all those who trust in themselves fall.'

• This is a favorite:

A prayer from the desert
      ------------------------

Lord  Jesus Christ, whose will all things
      obey: pardon  what I have done  and grant
      that I, a sinner,  may sin no more. Lord,
      I believe that  though  I do not  deserve
      it, you can cleanse me from  all my sins.
      Lord,  I know  that  man looks  upon  the
      face, but  you see the heart.  Send your
      spirit into  my  inmost  being,  to  take
      possession of my soul and body.  Without
      you  I  cannot  be  saved; with  you  to
      protect  me, I  long  for your salvation.
      And  now  I ask you  for your salvation.
      And now  I ask you for wisdom,  deign of
      your  great goodness  to  help and defend
      me.  Guide my heart, almighty God, that I
      may remember your presence day and night.

++ Amen ++

• God:  The most popular scapegoat for our sins. 
                                      ~Mark Twain
  • Weave in faith and God will find the thread. 
                      ~Author Unknown
  • I don't get this quote and it is said by saint augustine!!!

God is not what you imagine or what you think you understand.  If you understand you have failed. 
                                                                                                                    ~Saint Augustine
  • Are you wrinkled with burden?  Come to God for a faith lift. 
                                                              ~Author Unknown
  • No pillow so soft as God's promise. 
                              ~Author Unknown
  • When we lose God, it is not God who is lost. 
                                            ~Author Unknown
  • Darkness cannot put out the Light.  It can only make God brighter. 
                                                                          ~Author Unknown
  • Anger is one letter away from danger~Unknown
    Think twice act once~Unknown

• [quote author=*Regretful+Sinner* link=topic=6601.msg88423#msg88423 date=1211591623]
    I don't get this quote and it is said by saint augustine!!!

God is not what you imagine or what you think you understand.  If you understand you have failed. 
                                                                                                                    ~Saint Augustine

I think St Augustine means that God is beyond our limited understanding and imagination. He's eternal, all powerful, all knowing, etc. If we believe that we with our limited minds have figured out the unlimited God than something is wrong. We have failed.
    I thinks it's best to always stand in awe and praise God for what He does for us, and never to claim to understand Him fully, because that's impossible.

Please forgive my weakness
    God Bless
  • [quote author=godislove260 link=topic=6601.msg88436#msg88436 date=1211614626]
    [quote author=*Regretful+Sinner* link=topic=6601.msg88423#msg88423 date=1211591623]
    I don't get this quote and it is said by saint augustine!!!

~Saint Augustine

I think St Augustine means that God is beyond our limited understanding and imagination. He's eternal, all powerful, all knowing, etc. If we believe that we with our limited minds have figured out the unlimited God than something is wrong. We have failed.
    I thinks it's best to always stand in awe and praise God for what He does for us, and never to claim to understand Him fully, because that's impossible.

Please forgive my weakness
    God Bless

thnx i get it now!!!
  • heyy regretfull+ sinner ur the best lol

those r really great quotes thxxx
    /
    mahraeel
    pzzz p4m sister in Christ
  • [quote author=mahraeel link=topic=6601.msg88462#msg88462 date=1211655626]
    heyy regretfull+ sinner ur the best lol

those r really great quotes thxxx
    /
    mahraeel
    pzzz p4m sister in Christ

thnx!!!!
  • The man who wants to be reminded constantly of death and of God's judgment, and who at the same time gives into material cares and distractions, is like someone trying at the same time to swim and to clap his hands.  (St. John Chrysostom)
  • For this also is the work of the loving-kindness of God, that our struggles are not protracted to a great length, but that after struggling for a brief and tiny twinkling of an eye  (for such is present life compared with the other) , we receive crowns of victory for endless ages. (St. John Chrysostom)