Are we allowed to do this?

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Hi,

As Coptic Christians, are we allowed (officially) to go and pray with Catholics or Protestants? Whether in their mass or in prayer meetings etc?

Has anyone ever attended any protestant prayer meeting/or Catholic Prayer meeting? What were your thoughts? Did you learn anything from them?

I attended one in Dublin. I thought it was quite cute actually. The priest there was really strong on the dogma of the Immaculate Conception.

One thing I did learn from them was on how to be strong in my faith. Also, I found some very sincere friends there too.

Comments

• Well, I go to a Catholic school - so it's hard to stay away... LOL.

I attend their services and masses with school and there's nothing wrong with that as long as we have Comunion in our own church.

One thing I like about the Catholics is that they [generally speaking] focus on God's love and grace towards us more than our imperfection. I think it's less likely to fall into despair knowing that, but of course moderation is important. We must reflect on our own behaviour in order to repent, improve and ask God for help and forgiveness..

I think that the reason I like it is like if you think about it, we do some pretty awful things alll the time.... and if you think of alll of the worlds sins, in the form of matter, clumped into a great big ball, greater than any measureable size known to man - it is still limited nonetheless. It can never be infinite since we are limited... and then think of Gods love for us.. it is INFINITE! It overshadows our sin and can make it dissapear.
    HAHA this should go in yur meditations post...

Sorry about going so off topic...

Umm, so in answer to your question, there's nothing wrong with it.
  • The Christ arose Himself!

there is nothing wrong with that but what is wrong is sitting in their lectures... unless you fully know you're faith, because in lectures you are to learn, and accept... which might cause you to debate your view of your church, so you're putting yourself in danger... also if all you do is just accept, then you're not giving, if you don't give the right information when given wrong information... then you are denying the right information thus you're not confessing the true church, which is a very dangerous problem, and in a way you would be kicking yourself out of the church! again I'm not saying its fully wrong... I'm just saying, go and accept with wisdom, and if you can study everything you hear clearly, you should... you seem like a mature individual so I'm sure you would know what you're doing, and I'm sure you would know right from wrong, and what the church agrees with and what the church doesn't agree with... that also means, this is not a practice for every age, or to every person... so as i said earlier, you have to fully know or at least be mature in your faith first! and also pick the right person to listen to lecture, I've heard protestants bashing orthodox, and others who were too far off from the right dogmatic, spiritual, cultural, and etc... , so pick somebody that will stay away from the dogma, and salvation for example somebody I like listening to is Paul Washer, a southern protestant, yet he does talk about salvation, but most of what he says is acceptable to the church, if not all!... but there is nothing wrong with group prayers, or going to their places of worship to gather in a group prayer, its even a good idea to even start a "Christian" prayer meeting in schools, or universities... but again pray the way you would in church, so that means, do the sign of the cross, do your Lord's prayer... when i use to wander the places of worship, i use to pray like i would in my church, it made me still feel my spiritual thirst quenched (to a level) and not only that but its a good conversation starter, if you go to an Arabic protestant church you'll be noticed, and they will know about copts... so its a good conversation starter!

Indeed He arose Himself!
  • [quote author=SuperMAN(BAM) link=topic=6622.msg88309#msg88309 date=1211462737]
    The Christ arose Himself!

there is nothing wrong with that but what is wrong is sitting in their lectures... unless you fully know you're faith, because in lectures you are to learn, and accept... which might cause you to debate your view of your church, so you're putting yourself in danger... also if all you do is just accept, then you're not giving, if you don't give the right information when given wrong information... then you are denying the right information thus you're not confessing the true church, which is a very dangerous problem, and in a way you would be kicking yourself out of the church! again I'm not saying its fully wrong... I'm just saying, go and accept with wisdom, and if you can study everything you hear clearly, you should... you seem like a mature individual so I'm sure you would know what you're doing, and I'm sure you would know right from wrong, and what the church agrees with and what the church doesn't agree with... that also means, this is not a practice for every age, or to every person... so as i said earlier, you have to fully know or at least be mature in your faith first! and also pick the right person to listen to lecture, I've heard protestants bashing orthodox, and others who were too far off from the right dogmatic, spiritual, cultural, and etc... , so pick somebody that will stay away from the dogma, and salvation for example somebody I like listening to is Paul Washer, a southern protestant, yet he does talk about salvation, but most of what he says is acceptable to the church, if not all!... but there is nothing wrong with group prayers, or going to their places of worship to gather in a group prayer, its even a good idea to even start a "Christian" prayer meeting in schools, or universities... but again pray the way you would in church, so that means, do the sign of the cross, do your Lord's prayer... when i use to wander the places of worship, i use to pray like i would in my church, it made me still feel my spiritual thirst quenched (to a level) and not only that but its a good conversation starter, if you go to an Arabic protestant church you'll be noticed, and they will know about copts... so its a good conversation starter!

Indeed He arose Himself!

Yeah, that's what I'm concerned about.  That they'll say something stupid and not spiritual even. Or even against our Dogma. Some protestants truly believe that they are Divine. Lol - and they act it too!

But have u attended any protestant/catholic prayer meeting/lecture where u actually learned something?
  • I have never gone to a protestant nor a catholic prayer meeting or service. However, I think it's importnat that if you should go, you need to know your faith very well before you listen to their sermons. They believe in lots of things that we don't and we believe in things that they don't. The reason you need to know your faith very well before going to their sermons is you need to know the faults in their words so you don't start getting confused. Protestants really tend to get into their own faiths when speaking about the bible so you need to be careful. All in all, I think it's better to just stay away from them and try to attend your church more often. My mom used to live 7 hours from the nearest church and she asked a priest if she should start going to catholic masses and he told her it was better for her to just pray at home from the agpeya and read the bible.

PK
  • [quote author=PopeKyrillos link=topic=6622.msg88311#msg88311 date=1211463993]
    I have never gone to a protestant nor a catholic prayer meeting or service. However, I think it's importnat that if you should go, you need to know your faith very well before you listen to their sermons. They believe in lots of things that we don't and we believe in things that they don't. The reason you need to know your faith very well before going to their sermons is you need to know the faults in their words so you don't start getting confused. Protestants really tend to get into their own faiths when speaking about the bible so you need to be careful. All in all, I think it's better to just stay away from them and try to attend your church more often. My mom used to live 7 hours from the nearest church and she asked a priest if she should start going to catholic masses and he told her it was better for her to just pray at home from the agpeya and read the bible.

PK

My priest told me that I COULD go to the Catholic Church (I was living in a Country that had NO Coptic Churches), and I can tell u, its better to have stayed at home and prayed from the agpeya.
  • there ya go QT.
  • The Christ arose Himself!

But have u attended any protestant/catholic prayer meeting/lecture where u actually learned something?

of course! listen to paul washer, and you'll learn something! if the spirit is talking to you you will learn... for the words of the donkey saved Balaam's life! but again also watch out not every donkey is given spirit to talk...

indeed He arose Himself!
  • [quote author=SuperMAN(BAM) link=topic=6622.msg88314#msg88314 date=1211464751]
    The Christ arose Himself!

of course! listen to paul washer, and you'll learn something! if the spirit is talking to you you will learn... for the words of the donkey saved Balaam's life! but again also watch out not every donkey is given spirit to talk...

indeed He arose Himself!

I attended once Kensington Temple (London), and I can tell u, its just silly.
    I mean, the stories they come out with were just ridiculous.

And then they have a welcoming group for those that want to experience God's Joy. LOL

hahahah

That was funny. I mean, this indian guy just came up to me and started telling me that I may not feel joyful all of a sudden, nor happy, but it will take perhaps 2 to 3 days to kick-in. lol

And then their prayers ... oh my... its a rock concert.
  • I don't think that there is anything wrong with attending Catholic or Protestant churches.  Protestant preachers are excellent in delivering Biblical messages and they have a lot of great books to read.  There are differences between us but there is nothing wrong with learning about Christianity through them.  They have a lot more activities and do a lot more charity work, such as reaching out to the poor, needy, sick, alcoholics, prisoners, drug addicts, abused people than Copts do and that is something we can learn from them.  As for Catholics we are even closer in our beliefs (minor differences) and St. Mary has appeared to many Catholics.... they are obviously doing something right. Lets try to be more openminded instead of judgemental in thinking that Copts are the only people who will go to heaven and that we are the best and everyone else is a sinner.  There are a lot of great Christians out there that are not Orthodox, lets try to learn from them how to be good Christians.
  • I don't see anything wrong with attending as long as their isn't a similar service going on in the COC you attend. For example, when I was in School, I was apart of a Christian club that was mostly Protestant. The meetings were wonderful, I learned so much and when doctrinal issues came up I coerced myself to go learn about my own faith; hence I deeply increased my knowledge in our Church through this experience. I think the most important things that I learned was that we have many more things in COMMON than we do different; and that radically changed the way I dealt with them.

For example:
    1) Most protestants believe that we are saved by faith alone.
    2) But the faith is only "true faith" if you do good works
    3) Hence, if you aren't doing good works then your faith wasnt "true faith"
    If what I wrote above is true then we would expect the Protestants to be doing good works such as visiting the people in prison, feeding the sick, spreading the word to all corners of the earth, etc..which is exactly what happens.

I know some Protestants won't agree with conlcusion (3) but 99% of the ones I met with do; and the ones who didn't, as expected never showed to the meetings (as they thought they can be lazy and get into heaven by faith alone). And Although we don't believe in (1,2,3), which is a totally different issue, the outcome of their belief is the same. In other words, we both believe we have to do good works! And it is on this level that I was able to connect with them. The zeal they have in wanting to truly live the words of Christ at the end of Matt 25 was an amazing common platform for both groups to stand together as one.
  • Hey People,

Don't get me wrong yeah, I'm not saying that we shouldnt go, but other than Duck, did any of u find it worthwhile?

Frankly, i find watching CTV more beneficial than any protestant meeting.

• Look, Vas if you have already reached that conclusion - then dont go, and watch ctv.... simple as that.... and u are right this time
  • [quote author=josephgabriel link=topic=6622.msg88321#msg88321 date=1211469551]
    Look, Vas if you have already reached that conclusion - then dont go, and watch ctv.... simple as that.... and u are right this time

Yeah, but i hate sitting at home watching TV. I like to get out of the house. Do u know what I mean Joe?
  • why don't you sign up for some kind of service through the church?
  • [quote author=duck link=topic=6622.msg88325#msg88325 date=1211472463]
    why don't you sign up for some kind of service through the church?

And do what exactly? Teach theosis?
  • I think it is opk to go to Catholic Churches (if youreally need to go to a Church and there is no coptic Church close to you) but i think that you are only allowed to participate with Catholics because their Church is an Apostolic Church, unlike all the protestant (that are based on people spliting up from the original church)...

So i would say, if you really really really have to go to a Church, and there is no coptic Church close to you, it would only be allowed to be Catholic Church, i think
  • QT, instead of trying to grow spiritually through learning, try growing spiritually through service. Since you seem to travel a lot, try doing missionary work such as in some african countries, asia, south america, places where they are trying to develop churches but need help. You will grow spiritually by doing this because you are preaching to people which is one of the greatest things you can do to please God because you are giving in effort to show people who he is. If you don't like this idea, go to one of your local coptic churches and volunteer to clean up and help around. Go help out at soup kitchens where poor people need food. You may think I've totally lost it, but i'm being serious. Growing spiritually isn't just through reading the bible and praying. Anyone can do these two but not everyone is willing to put in the effort to enforce the commands of the bible. God commanded us to spread his word to people who don't know him and trust me, Missionary work has great rewards in heaven. YOU ARE SPREADING THE WORD OF GOD TO PEOPLE WHO DON'T KNOW HIM BUT NEED HIM GREATLY. This service is almost as good as becoming a monk if not equal. The reason I'm telling you to go help out in soup kitchens, your local church, or undereveloped countries is because you are benefiting not only yourself but other people.