A convent

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Hi. I would like to receive some information about coptic female convents. Are there many of them in Egypt now? Where are they? How does the life of the nuns look like? I'll be very grateful for any info. :)

Comments

• yes there are many convents for nuns in egypts

-St. Demiana monastary, El-barary
    -St. Abu Sefein monastary, Cairo
    -The Convent of St. Mary (Old Cairo)
    -The Convent of St. Mary (Haret Zuela)
    -The Convent of St. George (Haret Zuela) (this is a greek convent..that has the iron sandals that St. George wore and the chains also that were put on him)
  • can i add one to the list?
    .. The Convent of St. Theodore (old cairo)..
  • Thank You for the replies :) But I'd like to know also how does the life of the nuns look like. In catholic church we have many different types of monasteries or many types of monastic life. For example, there are so-called "contemplation" convents - the nuns never go outside and they serve to people with their prayer and of course they work (f.ex. they sew the clothes that priests wear during the liturgy). But there are also convents where the nuns work among the people - they run schools, kindergartens, they organise some charity activities and of course they live togheter and pray. Are coptic convents more similar to "contemplation" or are they more "active" ones?
    greetings :D
  • Can anyone could at least tell me where I can find these information? Maybe there is a website where I can read about it? Please, it's realy important for me....
  • check out these websites I hope they help a little
    I think its more of a "contemplation" type of monastaries..that arent so active..
    * http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/monasteries.htm
    on this site * http://www.stmary.net/whoweare/
    go to where it says..

VIII. THE COPTIC ORTHODOX CHURCH AND THE MONASTIC LIFE

"Egyptian monasticism entailed a life of prayer, contemplation, solitude, worship, and purity of heart. Monks had nothing in their minds, hearts and feelings except God alone. They lived a calm and quiet life abiding in the Lord. They were detached from everything. Every man was bound to the Lord alone.

The Church of Alexandria was the source of monasticism which began during the last years of the third century and flourished in the fourth century. St. Anthony (251-356 AD), the world’s first monk, was a Copt from Upper Egypt. St. Pachom (3rd century), who established the rules of monasticism, was also a Copt. "

and also * http://www.coptic.net/EncyclopediaCoptica/

and check Pope Shenouda's book about monastacism
    http://www.stgeorge-sporting.org/books/books/Monasticism.pdf

• nuns can be active also... some do run schools... they also do all the work in the convent... wen i went to Saint Demiana's convent in Egypt it was amazing... they even did all the stained glass windows... they are very tanlented and since each one had to finish college, they all have different talents they can share... there are also sisters who a lil different than nuns because they can be more active and they dont have to serve in the conevnt but they can serve in churchs that are over lokked by a Bishop
  • hey...i was recently in egypt this summer and i got to go to Abu Sefein Monastery in cario and The Convent of St. George. i got to put on the chains of st. george...it was a great blessing. there are so many nice monasteries and churches to visit in egypt.
  • Thank You all for the info :) and for the websites - i've checked them all and they are realy interesting!! I've got a few more questions - is it obligatory for a nun to finish a college? And is it possible to join the convent at any age?
  • ya i think now its obligatory to finish college...

DaughterOfTheLight i just went to egypt too this summer and i also went to the convent of st george and put the chains on..yes it is a great blessing :)
  • if you don't mind me asking, where else did you go and what did you like the most? i went to el tahouna (Pope Kyrollos), St. Mina Monastery (in Aleandria), the Seven Old Churches (Cario), The Virgin's Tree, Abu Sefein Monastery & couple of other churches & cathedrals.
  • a woman does need her college education to be a nun and she also cant be older than 30... there are always exceptions though
  • hi daughterofthelight

i also went to

RED SEA:

-St. Paul
    -St. Anthony

FAYOUM:

-Anba Abraam
    -St. Mary monastary(deir il hamam)
    -Archangel Gabriel monastary
    -St. Samuel monastary

ElMINYA:

-St. Mary -gabal ilteyr
    -St. Abeskhyroon

CAIRO

--tahoona pope Kirolos
    -St. George..greek monastary
    -ilme3alaka..hanging church
    -St. Mina monastary
    -St. Mary (ilme3adee)
    -St. Mary (zetoon)
    -Abu Sefein monastary
    -St. Mary convent (haret zeweela)..I think this is the one that hand St, Marina's hand which didnt dissolve or turn into dust yet...
    -monastary of prince/St. Tadros
    -gabal ilmo2atam...mokatam mountain

ALEXANDRIA

-St. Mina monastary
    -Abu Sefein monastary

WADEE ILNATROUN:

-St. Mary (deer ilsoryan)
    -St. Bishoy
    -St. Mary (ilbaramos)

well I have to say I liked all of them it was a great blessing....
    il3adra gabal ilteyr is a really nice monastary its like built ontop of a mountain ...its nice..but all the other are great too
  • wow thats alot of places. :) we were going to go to the Red Sea, but the trip got cancelled. I really wanted to go, but its ok, maybe next time. I hear its really hot there during the summer.
  • well i heard the monastaries in assiot were nice ...st mary appeared there like 4 years ago too..but i couldnt find any trips there..ya and assiot is a lot hotter than the red sea too...
  • [quote author=daughteroftruelight link=topic=532.msg9366#msg9366 date=1093332512]
    hey...i was recently in egypt this summer and i got to go to Abu Sefein Monastery in cario and The Convent of St. George. i got to put on the chains of st. george...it was a great blessing. there are so many nice monasteries and churches to visit in egypt.

Do they actually let you put on these chains!?
  • Dear Popekyrillos,
    Yes, they do, but for a very short while though, because there will be a long queue waiting to get the blessings. I suggest you go, put it on (I am talking about the chaints, but I don't think they will let you put the sandals on), and say a little prayer. You can also hold the spear which pierced St. George's body, and put it anywhere you want to be healed, and pray. God, though the intercessions of his saints, listen to our prayers.
    God bless you and mention me in your prayers
  • What city is the convent in exactly??? As many know I am going to egypt this summer and I would like to know.
  • Hmmm it is good that University life is pursued first before life time commitment! I certainly agree, but I think that many poor people should have access to this lifes. I guess, as one said before, there are always exceptions. I think the great thing about our Church is that it is more of an individual basis with a FOC etc.

What do people think?