Fear God

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
"the secret of the Lord is with those who fear Him"
psalm 25
how do we fear God...
there are many other qoutes in the bible that honour ppl who fear GOd...
how do we FULLY do this?

Comments

• I'm not really sure about this, but I'm going to guess. When we were younger, we didn't do things that were wrong because we feared our parents. As we got older though, we realized the reasons why our parents said this. But with God, we will never reach anything near his mentality (not that we've reached our parents' mentality yet). So, as the child who was told, "Don't do this," but they were too young to understand why not, they didn't do it, because they feared that they would make their parents sad/mad, and would get in trouble. I think that we can fully fear God by obeying Him and His commandments, and by trying to understand why. But again, I'm not really sure about this. :-\
    LordHaveMercy
  • I'd reccomend a book by HH called; Fearing God, it deals with a lot of this stuff (yeeah, me tany with my recommandations ;D) I cant remember what was the content of the book caus i read it ages ago, but i mite dig it up for u and point out the main points, insha allah :)
  • i hav that book mmatt!! it is really good, i also recomend it ;D

'if u fear God u wont fear men'
    this is a very strong saying i found in a book and i like it :)
    also if u fear God u will follow all his commandments and do exactly what God wants u to do or else u will also fear of ur punishment from God...
    a lil confusing but i understand wat i wrote so u should b fine ;D
    GBU ALL ;)

• If one loves GOD he will never fear from GOD.
    That is because he will never make HIM angry.
    Also does not make the Holy Spirit sad.
  • I see what you're saying markbotros, but if that is the case, then what does it mean to fear God?
  • If one loves GOD he will never fear from GOD.
    That is because he will never make HIM angry.

i sooo think that isnt true...coz u can love God and Fear Him also at the same tym.
    love God and fear God goes well together..
    another qoute which is from the same book as i mentioned b4:
    'fear those who dont fear God.'
    i hope i dont need to explain that...it is pretty straight forward like that....just think about it ;)
  • i dont think were grasping it the right way, i thin LHM is on to something,
    but i dont see wat u guys are getting at (aripsalin and mark)
    i mean i guess u could say that but then in the same psalm it says
    "who is the man that fears the lord? him shall
    He teach in the way He chooses. he himself shall dwell in prospertity, and his decendents shall inherit the earth."
    to be honest this verse caught my eye cause of the specific line "shall dwell in prosperity" and as i have exams coming up, i wanted to be sure i was fearing God the right way so i can receive that promise...
    but i dont nessesarily aggree with the luv him instead of fear him, cause if u love him theres no need to fear him, because ull abide in him theory...
    but thnx
  • In the same psalm, Psalm 25, it says, "Show me Your ways, O LORD; Teach me Your paths. Lead me in Your truth and teach me; For You are the God of my salvation; On You I wait all the day." Psalm 25: 4-5. On You I wait all the day, it says. We fear God by showing Him that our heart and mind are for Him, and for Him only. We serve him and we are open to His Truth, we are teachable. It says, teach me Your paths. I'm guessing that another way we can fear God is by being humble, not being proud. When we ask somebody to teach us, we humble ourselves before this person, accepting that they have more knowledge than us.

"My eyes are ever toward the LORD, For he shall pluck my feet out of the net." Psalm 25:15.

"Keep my soul, and deliver me; Let me not be ashamed, for I put my trust in You. Let integrity and uprightness preserve me, For I wait for You." Psalm25 :

I'm guessing that these are characteristics that would show our fear for God? I think I went off topic here, sorry.
  • ;) ;) ;)
    awsome, i like it thats exactly wat i meant...
    good stuff LHM
    ists a beautiful psalm...
    thnx again, u alwaz help me out...
  • Yeah, it is a beautiful psalm, thanks for bringing it up G.J.I., and your welcome. :D
  • 18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear(1 John 4)

found this verse, hope it helps :)
  • Hmm, I see what you mean, I found a few verses, one of them actually answers GJI's first question (Provers 8:13):

Genesis 20:11
    And Abraham said, "Because I thought, surely the fear of God is not in this place; and they will kill me on account of my wife."

Genesis 22:12
    And He said, "Do not lay your hand on the lad, or do anything to him; for now I know that you fear God, since you have not withheld your son, your ony son, from Me."

Leviticus 19:14
    "You shall not curse the deaf, nor put a stumblingblock before the blind, but shall fear your God; I am the Lord."

Psalm 2:11
    "Serve the Lord with fear, And rejoice with trembling."

Proverbs 8:13
    "The fear of the Lord is to hate evil; Pride and arrogance and the evil way And the perverse mouth I hate."

Luke 12:5
    "But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear Him who, after He has killed, has power to cast into hell; yes, I say to you, fear Him!"

These are just a few of the verses, by the way, I found them on www.biblegateway.com
  • the man who fears god would do whatever to obey him right? But i mistake is that, wouldn't god prefer you to obey him via love rather than fear. The fear of going to hell, getting low marks etc. shouldn't be the reason we obey god, we should obey him because we love him, for he is our creater and gave his only son away for our imperfections. For the bible is the most misunderstood book in the world and its clear the host of this post has misunderstood this aswell.
  • Please forgive me hustler, sorry for any confusion. But in Proverbs 8:13, it says, "The fear of the Lord is to hate evil; Pride and arrogance and the evil way And the perverse mouth I hate." It is very clear here what fear means, and it is not your typical definition of fear. When we hear the word fear, we don't think this definition. Can you tell me one way that this verse implies the word fear that we are so accustomed of hearing? Actually, I think this verse is very enlightening, it gives us a new perspective, and I wish that I would've found it before posting my first post on here, my answer would've been much different.... But please, if you have a different point of view, share it with us.

Sorry if I came out harsh, I didn't mean to. ;)
  • Also, there's one thing I forgot to say. If you take the word fear out of all these verses, and put the definition we get from Proverbs, it would make perfect sense. For example, in Genesis 20:11, Abraham knows that these people do not hate evil, therefore, he says, "...and they will kill me on account of my wife."

Somebody please correct me if I'm mistaken.

• ChEcK ZiSs ;)

A brother asked an old man and said, "What shall I do? For there is no feeling in my soul, and I have no fear of God." The old man said unto him, "Seek thou out a man who feareth God, and then cling closely to him, and from him thou shalt learn to fear God."

-- Paradise of the Holy Fathers

[move][glow=red,2,300]GBU[/glow][/move]
  • thnx Jenny that really was very helpful :)