Fr Matta El Maskeen

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Hi,
Can someone tell me. Is this priest ex-communicated from the Church??

I just read one of his books, and frankly, I feel it was a bit odd.

Comments

• [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=6546.msg86729#msg86729 date=1209939353]
    Hi,
    Can someone tell me. Is this priest ex-communicated from the Church??

I just read one of his books, and frankly, I feel it was a bit odd.

no.
    now please.... who ever provides more information watch yourself in what you say about Fr. Matta. He is a father, who is still part of the church, who DEPARTED to heaven.
    all have seen what happend before in previous posts about fr Matta.

Watch what you say.
  • [quote author=josephgabriel link=topic=6546.msg86744#msg86744 date=1209974633]
    QT, there have been about 49356908354 topics about this and they always end up blocked - lets just leave it at that.

http://tasbeha.org/content/community/index.php?topic=6092.0

http://tasbeha.org/content/community/index.php?topic=6306.0
    http://tasbeha.org/content/community/index.php?topic=4097.0
    http://tasbeha.org/content/community/index.php?topic=4775.0

Try these for info.

yes...true....and most of them are locked for reasons. so let's not do that again.
  • Guys, habaybee ya Mina and others,

To be totally honest with you, i don't know this man. Khaliss.. lakin, after reading one of his books, i could not help but be a tad bit shocked. THe best thing is for me to cut and paste what he wrote from his book on this site.

Regards,
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=6546.msg87073#msg87073 date=1210382292]
    Guys, habaybee ya Mina and others,

To be totally honest with you, i don't know this man. Khaliss.. lakin, after reading one of his books, i could not help but be a tad bit shocked. THe best thing is for me to cut and paste what he wrote from his book on this site.

Regards,

same here. shocked in a great way thoo. the thing is that there are many problems with some fo his teachings and HH, "the church". so. but i don't think that would be a problem....let's just worry about our salvation to heaven.
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=6546.msg87083#msg87083 date=1210385033]
    [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=6546.msg87073#msg87073 date=1210382292]

Regards,

same here. shocked in a great way thoo. the thing is that there are many problems with some fo his teachings and HH, "the church". so. but i don't think that would be a problem....let's just worry about our salvation to heaven.

OK Mina, concerning my salvation, could you please answer my post concerning Romans Chapter 14.

Every year, i have this problem. I start reading Romans, and then I get confused, and move on to something else, and i never return to it. Please please help me. I'm stuck in the middle of Turkey and have no other supporter in my tribulations than you. (lol). OK.. its not SO bad as that, but i have no other help here. THe Greek Orthodox Church don't even accept us (and that's not because of my bad jokes).. they're pretty strict about who can have communion.
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=6546.msg87088#msg87088 date=1210388545]
    [quote author=minagir link=topic=6546.msg87083#msg87083 date=1210385033]

Regards,

OK Mina, concerning my salvation, could you please answer my post concerning Romans Chapter 14.

Every year, i have this problem. I start reading Romans, and then I get confused, and move on to something else, and i never return to it. Please please help me. I'm stuck in the middle of Turkey and have no other supporter in my tribulations than you. (lol). OK.. its not SO bad as that, but i have no other help here. THe Greek Orthodox Church don't even accept us (and that's not because of my bad jokes).. they're pretty strict about who can have communion.

well, sorry to hear that. concerning the Romans, i read it before, i guess i have general understanding of what i read. if u have any problems, just post em, not here, on a sapartae thread.

i dono y ur in turkey, but i do know that Greeks are very strict in giving communion. they're like us, not a surprise ya3ny.
  • Mina,

I posted the thread. its the one right after this one. I posted 2 threads, and no one has answered them.

• Abouna Matta El Meskeen is a good guy. He has some theological errors (for sure), however, his spiritual books are great. Even His Holiness said that. I don't know why he would teach things that were wrong such as because we are one body in christ, we were all born from the virgin in Bethlehem. Ofcourse we weren't, however, that doesn't make him a bad person. He's a good guy, and very knowledgable. He just says some weird things sometimes.
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=6546.msg87088#msg87088 date=1210388545]

Regards,

well, i'm no mina, but i do know what you're talking about..
    I was also trying to read Romans recently and I found it very difficult to understand. I think the best way to go is to go through nice and slow, and perhaps follow through with a commentary or a sermon.

I couldn't find any Orthodox commentaries or sermons, but I found these: I am unaware of the reliability of these sources, but they are the ones i found...
    Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

+God Bless
  • [quote author=PopeKyrillos link=topic=6546.msg87094#msg87094 date=1210395741]
    Abouna Matta El Meskeen is a good guy. He has some theological errors (for sure), however, his spiritual books are great. Even His Holiness said that. I don't know why he would teach things that were wrong such as because we are one body in christ, we were all born from the virgin in Bethlehem. Ofcourse we weren't, however, that doesn't make him a bad person. He's a good guy, and very knowledgable. He just says some weird things sometimes.

i think the books I had were the "theological errors". I'm not saying he's a bad person, but the errors that I saw were so serious that I automatically assumed he had been excommunicated. I know people have been ex-communicated for much much less in our church.
  • [quote author=Hizz_chiilld link=topic=6546.msg87095#msg87095 date=1210398610]
    [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=6546.msg87088#msg87088 date=1210388545]

Regards,

well, i'm no mina, but i do know what you're talking about..
    I was also trying to read Romans recently and I found it very difficult to understand. I think the best way to go is to go through nice and slow, and perhaps follow through with a commentary or a sermon.

I couldn't find any Orthodox commentaries or sermons, but I found these: I am unaware of the reliability of these sources, but they are the ones i found...
    Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

+God Bless

i knew others must have had the same problem as me. Well... did u read it slowly?? Romans 14?

Anyway, this website was made for questions like this. I'm not getting my answer from any other site. This is tasbeha.org. This is the real deal. If they don't know the answer here, then the answer isn't worth knowing.

• O no..... this is starting to change into a locked thread......try not to argue to much Vas...

pray for me

joe
  • [quote author=josephgabriel link=topic=6546.msg87101#msg87101 date=1210403572]
    O no..... this is starting to change into a locked thread......try not to argue to much Vas...

pray for me

joe

Hi Joe,

Longtime no complain.

WHere am I arguing Joe? I'm peacefully waiting for someone to respond to my question concerning ROmans14.

http://tasbeha.org/content/community/index.php?topic=6572.0

(Please, someone respond).
    As for Fr. Matta Al Maskeen... hmmm... i'm sure he's a nice man. Its best I just copy and paste the article I read that shocked me.
  • "Longtime no complain"

Well... I guess I am a bit of a moaner at that

joe
  • Hi,

I just want to say that thanks to the work of Fr. Matta El Maskeen, they helped me grow spiritually and theologically too.
    I never in my life have HAD to read so much to combat the nonsense this man was feeding my friends with!!
    He caused division in our Church (MY CHURCH) - with my friends, and people I love. Is that from God?!!??

If he was right in ANYWAY, or whose opinion was inspired by the Holy Spirit, would it have caused division in the CHURCH?? NEVER!!! I may not be a theologian, but there are a few things i know and that's how to discern what is from God and what is not. This is not!!

Ohh and by the way... i read what he said about redemption and atonement: Apparently he thought that the Father had abandoned the Son.

lol - I saw Met. Bishoy's response, and frankly, I'd like to add ONE SMALL Detail to his response also - and yes - u can quote me on it:

When Christ was on the Cross and he said "ELOI, ELOI, LAMA SABAKHTANI" - He was reciting a Psalm!! He was fulfilling the prophesies.. - He was reminding them below standing watching of the prophesies. That He was fullfilling them. The Father Never left the Son or abandoned Him. How? They are ONE!

• The Son was not abandoned, but He was allowed to feel pain... You're explanation is not incorrect, but this is another one that is also accepted by the church.
  • Q2,

The explanation you ascribe to H.E. Metropolitan Bishoy, is actually from His Holiness originally.  It is the explanation and meditation from H.H.'s book:  "Seven Words on the Cross".

I think the way you summarized things is probably the best way:  'if his works were inspired by the Holy Spirit, they would not be causing division in the Church'.

Be that as it may, he is now deceased.  His issues will pass--fortunately.

I have not had the patience to read through more than a few chapters of his books before getting turned off.
  • [quote author=Hizz_chiilld link=topic=6546.msg87880#msg87880 date=1210953257]
    The Son was not abandoned, but He was allowed to feel pain... You're explanation is not incorrect, but this is another one that is also accepted by the church.

Well, i got explantion from someone else. It wasn't mine.
    "Eloi Eloi..." is Psalm 22. In fact He was saying this on our behalf. Those are the contemplations of someone else. Apparently, its the pope. I heard them from a friend.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=6546.msg87881#msg87881 date=1210955089]
    Q2,

The explanation you ascribe to H.E. Metropolitan Bishoy, is actually from His Holiness originally.  It is the explanation and meditation from H.H.'s book:  "Seven Words on the Cross".

I think the way you summarized things is probably the best way:  'if his works were inspired by the Holy Spirit, they would not be causing division in the Church'.

Be that as it may, he is now deceased.  His issues will pass--fortunately.

I have not had the patience to read through more than a few chapters of his books before getting turned off.

Yeah, i got turned off too.. but just one wee second here.
    He has unfortunately left some undesirable weeds growing in the Church.. so, they have to be dealt with.

I do not judge him, i do not judge his personal life, and I'm sure he knew how to pronounce coptic very well,and he did a very good tasbeha, i'm sure... but we need to discern now the side-effects of his teachings and completely remove them from the Church. Completely. No mercy, and the correct dogmas need to be taught. Despite Arios's very strange death, unfortunately, till this day, despite Athanasious proving him wrong, he still has followers.
  • I just wish to add that my suggestion is simple... very simple:

The CoC simply needs to get Fr. Tadros Malaty to write another book.

That's it. Then distribute it. I think this has already been done in a few of his books, but he probably only has to cut and paste all the essential material into a new book that answers all contemporary heresies.
  • I just wanna say that I wrote my comments on Fr. Matta because I was sad at the result at what happened when my friends started following his sermons. It just got too much.

On the other hand, I can't judge. Perhaps he is right. ONly God knows.