A mistake in Aripsalin???

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
hey everyone,
i wanted to share this with you for a long time but i didn't have time till now....
In Aripsalin there is this part that says "Hurry with great haste, O you righteous of the Lord, and all the creatures He has made" which is in coptic "[coptic]<wlem qen ounis] `n`srwic `w ny`eterc`ebec;e `mP=o=c nem `etafaic [/coptic]"
i heard a recording by cantor Zaher Andrawos and he was saying "[coptic]]vucic tyrc[/coptic]" instead
so any ideas which is right?

Comments

• Actually I rememeber it being "kolem khen onishti eneshroic: o ni eterceveste emepchoic: nem nifisis tiro etafais

You missed the "nifisees tiro" before etafais

[coptic]<wlem qen ounis] `n`srwic `w ny`eterc`ebec;e `mP=o=c nem nivucic tyrou `etafaic [/coptic]
  • [coptic]<wlem qen ounis] `n`srwic `w ny`eterc`ebec;e `mP=o=c nem nivucic tyrou `etafaic [/coptic]

I'm pretty sure that josephgabriel has the right words. :)
  • No, it's not a mistake but it seems like a mistake and I guess that's why some cantors change [coptic]nivycic tyrou[/coptic] to [coptic]]vucic tyrc[/coptic].

The Coptic grammar doesn't match. It start by using the plural, "You righteous of the Lord" and it continues with the plural "and all the creatures" but it ends with the feminine singular "He has made (her)". Technically speaking the Coptic should be [coptic]<wlem qen ounis] `n`srwic w nyeterceec;e `mPp[oic nem nivucic tyrou `etafaitou[/coptic]. If you use the other way "[coptic]<wlem qen ounis] `n`srwic `w ny`eterc`ebec;e `mP=o=c nem ]vucic tyrc `etafaic[/coptic]", it would translate "Hurry with great haste, you righteous of the Lord, and the whole creature He has made. This is very weird and not the original text that Sarkis wrote. So why change it?
  • [quote author=Remnkemi link=topic=6599.msg87814#msg87814 date=1210894620]
    No, it's not a mistake but it seems like a mistake and I guess that's why some cantors change [coptic]nivycic tyrou[/coptic] to [coptic]]vucic tyrc[/coptic].

The Coptic grammar doesn't match. It start by using the plural, "You righteous of the Lord" and it continues with the plural "and all the creatures" but it ends with the feminine singular "He has made (her)". Technically speaking the Coptic should be [coptic]<wlem qen ounis] `n`srwic w nyeterceec;e `mPp[oic nem nivucic tyrou `etafaitou[/coptic]. If you use the other way "[coptic]<wlem qen ounis] `n`srwic `w ny`eterc`ebec;e `mP=o=c nem ]vucic tyrc `etafaic[/coptic]", it would translate "Hurry with great haste, you righteous of the Lord, and the whole creature He has made. This is very weird and not the original text that Sarkis wrote. So why change it?

thank you. and welcome.....we need someon like you in this forum.
  • ;D Welcome, its great to have someone with such a big knowledge of the Coptic language here on this site. God bless your service=D
  • Welcome Remnkemi, as minagir and Tishori said, we definetly need someone with your knowledge on this site. Welcome again.
  • While as others pointed out, it may not be fluid Coptic, we have to remember that the hymn rhymes in Coptic and maybe for that reason Sarkis used unusual terminology to make sure it kept the rhythm and rhyme. Kind of how music here doesn't always make for the best grammar or prose but sounds good so is sung a certain way.

Just an opinion,

aiernovi
  • [quote author=Remnkemi link=topic=6599.msg87814#msg87814 date=1210894620]
    No, it's not a mistake but it seems like a mistake and I guess that's why some cantors change [coptic]nivycic tyrou[/coptic] to [coptic]]vucic tyrc[/coptic].

Hi. are u the guy that owns the coptic website on bohairic coptic?