The commemoration

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
I was just wondering about the commemoration of saints in the Liturgy.  Since not all saints are in it what are the Criteria for a saint to be in it (why was St. Ebraam Bishop of Fayoum added?) .  And really who are these people for instance:
              St. Theodosios-- is he the emperor Theodosios the Great or someone else
            St. Theophilos-- is it the one is st. Luke or the 23rd pope of Alexandria
            "our father Abba John the hegomen"--is it John Kamma, John the Short, etc...

Also why are the Basilian, Gregorian, and Cyrillian commemorations different? Does each have a different focus?

Thanks

Comments

• [quote author=Zakhary link=topic=6459.msg85273#msg85273 date=1207619420]
    I was just wondering about the commemoration of saints in the Liturgy.  Since not all saints are in it what are the Criteria for a saint to be in it (why was St. Ebraam Bishop of Fayoum added?) .  And really who are these people for instance:
                  St. Theodosios-- is he the emperor Theodosios the Great or someone else
                 St. Theophilos-- is it the one is st. Luke or the 23rd pope of Alexandria

Also why are the Basilian, Gregorian, and Cyrillian commemorations different? Does each have a different focus?

Thanks

first, i think the difference in the text of the 3 liturgies depends on the time the liturgy was written.

other things that i read were that every church have the exception of adding her saint's name in the end of the commemoration.

with the names you have above, i think you are considering more of what is in the commemoration in the psalmody for midnight praises. in the newest edition of the Paramos Psalmody book, there is refences about these saints. just find the name of the saint there and read the footnote. if you don't have it, locate the saint in the paragraph and tell me, i'll get it for you latter.
  • Well, the saints that are in the commemoration have been cannonized and therefore added to the commemoration of the saints. and to be cannonized it must at least be 50 years after their death. the one thing i know for sure is that Our father abba John the Hegumen is not John Kame the priest, because he would not be mentioned twice.

The Three liturgies in general have different focuses, such as the liturgy of St. Basil is directed more at God the Father, while the liturgy of St. Gregory is directed toward God the Son and our salvation.
  • I think if we say all the names of the Saints we would go on for Hours on end...  but i think (im only guessing) that we only say the names of the Saints that made a BIG diference, or without them the Church would have beeen deiferent...  like the 318 meating in Nicea, without them, we wouldn't have a part of the Orthodox Creed.... ec...  Croeect me if i am wrong
  • [quote author=Zakhary link=topic=6459.msg85273#msg85273 date=1207619420]

For the part were u ask about Abba John the hegomen, it is St John the short because St. John Kame is mentioned later on, i think after St Moses the Black.
  • Thanks guys, but what about the other two saints? Which ones are they?
  • In a few years H.H Pope Kyrillos will be canonized, and then probably added to the commemoration of the Saints. (some priests already added him). I heard tho that St. Abraam of Fayoum is optional to add, any saint that is not already in the commemoration can be mentioned if the priest wants to but its not necessary to say them....
  • Thats only if they have been cannonized.
  • the priest at my church always adds saints in, especially on their feast like on the feast of St. George he woul add his name at the end and so on.
  • I would be greatly indebted if anyone could clarify "canononisation" in our church. As far as I am aware, the COC doesn't have a list of saints like the Catholic church - but rather have those in the Synazxarium, and those which are added by the Holy Synod after a meeting. Therefore, i guess there is no set period of time for canonisation, as there is no official list of saints. If someone knows any more about this matter please post, I am very curious.

pray for me

joe
  • Dear josephgabriel,
    Yes there is a period of fifty years before which saints are cannonised as jydeacon pointed out. I would also like to learn more about the cannonisation, so I am adding my voice to yours.
    God bless you all and pray for us a lot