Abouna Mina Nematalla Grave Move

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Hi,

I've that the Coptic Church in Sydney has decided on a plan that would bring up the body of Abouna Mina Nematalla from the cemetery he currently rests in and move his coffin someplace else. Has anyone heard this story? Do you know exactly what the plan is?

Allah maak,

Matt

Comments

• LOL that would be my church.

Well, I Don't exactly know how this thing started, because I was overseas, but when I got back I heard that there'd been a petition going around to move his body to our church so we could receive constant blessing from it (or perhaps for some other reason, I'm not quite sure).

Word got to Abouna that the 'young girls' weren't too keen on the idea so they said they'd move it to the boys altar.

It should be happening soon, after passion week I believe.

Sorry I couldn't provide very specific information, hopefully someone else on the site will have more info.

Do you have any specific questions about it?

+God Bless.
  • Ah, sure, thanks so much. That clarifies what I wanted to know.

So of course St Mary and Mina's Church in Bexley is the one they will inter him in (because his old church as Sydenham was closed down years ago)?

Again, thanks.

Matt
  • Fr. Mina served in Archangel Michael and St Bishoy Church in Mt Druitt.. So that's where he'll be. :)

No Problemo!!

+God Bless.
  • There are plans to move his body, however, the proposed idea was meet with alot of rejection from the congregation. I dont think it has been confirmed yet.
    We will have to wait and see what god wills. The movement of his body is not to say he is a saint , but mearly for historical purposes. I personelly dont agree to move his body inside the church, but would rather a small shrine built outside of the church, but to move his body inside the church would send a message that he is a saint. Not even the popes of the past were buried and only the relics of saints. Any ways just my opinion please share yours.

BTW for those who dont know The very reverend Fr Mina Nematalla was the first coptic priest in Australia. He also built the first ever coptic church outside of Egypt in Sydney. Pope Kyrillos the 6th was also  his uncle.

Does anyone have opinions on this matter???
    please share.
  • Hey,
    Just to clarify a few things...
    The first church in Australia was St Mary & St Mina in Sydenham, Sydney. This church has now has now moved to Bexley.

Fr Mina Nematalla was the first priest, and thus began his service at St Mary & St Mina's church in Sydenham.
    Fr. Mina Nematalla served at St Mary & St Mina's church from 1969 - 1974 (according to http://www.stmary.org.au/Our_church/our_church.htm)

In 1980 he established the church of Archangel Michael & St Bishoy where he continued to serve until his departure on 1st July 2000

More information about Fr. Mina Nematalla can be found here http://stbishoy.org.au/modules/ChurchInfo/frmina.php

God Bless
  • Bill, the first BUILT church was Archangel Micheal.
  • Ah, cool, again thanks all for that information.

It's certainly be a blessing for his body to be brought in the church (both for him and the church).

Again, thanks for letting me know.

Rabana maak,

Matt
  • [quote author=Pi Onkh link=topic=6482.msg85661#msg85661 date=1208086923]
    There are plans to move his body, however, the proposed idea was meet with alot of rejection from the congregation. I dont think it has been confirmed yet.
    We will have to wait and see what god wills. The movement of his body is not to say he is a saint , but mearly for historical purposes. I personelly dont agree to move his body inside the church, but would rather a small shrine built outside of the church, but to move his body inside the church would send a message that he is a saint. Not even the popes of the past were buried and only the relics of saints. Any ways just my opinion please share yours.

BTW for those who dont know The very reverend Fr Mina Nematalla was the first coptic priest in Australia. He also built the first ever coptic church outside of Egypt in Sydney. Pope Kyrillos the 6th was also  his uncle.

Does anyone have opinions on this matter???
    please share.

Lucky you for having such a blessed person serve in your Church.

I get the impression that saintliness runs in the family. It reminds me of Saint Basil the Great's family.