Confession Question

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
I was wondering... I have a friend who goes to my church and she is Abouna's daughter and we only have one Abouna at our church. Is it correct in our church for her to confess to him because she once confided to me that she couldn't always say the whole truth thinking more of Abouna as her dad than Abouna. Then, someone told her that confession to your dad isn't even allowed... so is it?

jesuslover

Comments

• well... if they aren't alowed to confess to their father, i think they confess to the Bishops that visit them, cause honestly, if my dad was Abouna, i couldn't confess to him.. well.. u get the point
  • they can... acutally it is preferred as bishops mentioned, because by that we see more of a communication between the parent and chlid... but if not comfortable, than thats a shame. also they confess to any surrounding priest... or they can confess on the phone and get the absolution from their dad! there many ways about it
  • Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the practice of confession over the web, phone, etc, generally avoided? Part of confession is feeling ashamed for your sins, and you do not really get the 'full effect' if it is not in person.
  • you gotta do what you gotta do... if you have to confess over the web phone or whatever other ways there are now... then you can do it!

• yes, confession over the phone, net....etc should not take place because it should be done face to face. And about the confession of your friend to her father, I actually was once talkin to a priest about this and what he said to me was that, yes its not allowed... one cant be confessing to a family member but that depends on the situation. For example, if thats the only church in your city/country and only priest, the she has no choice but to confess to her father. But the second you have another priest come and gets ordained in the church, she will have to change to him.

Hope this helps
    God Bless
  • no..it isn't the only choice, my frend is Abouna's daughter, i asked her, she dosn't confess to her dad, and he is the only priest thedre.... her father of confession is in an other church 27 hour drive away.... and she woudn't tell me how she confesses, but i'll find out soon.
  • Of course ,it is allowed to confess to your Dad,as long as he is an ordained priest and you do not feel ashamed of your failures. As a priest, one's Dad has the full authority to absolve sins.That is what counts. There are no references in the bible that forbids it.

As to confessing over phones, that ,too is allowed . It is even possible to leave your message in the voice box,as long as it is only Abouna who has access to it. Just recently, I got this confirmation from my FOC, because I told him, I went to a Catholic church for confession,because he was not available and that I did not want to carry the thing that was tormenting me any longer. He found my argument plausible ,blessed me for doing so but reminded me to stick with him at any cost.That is where he suggested the phone option.

My 2 cents
  • But in such cases... its allowed
  • [quote author=Hezekiel link=topic=6417.msg84865#msg84865 date=1207017048]
    Of course ,it is allowed to confess to your Dad,as long as he is an ordained priest and you do not feel ashamed of your failures. As a priest, one's Dad has the full authority to absolve sins.That is what counts. There are no references in the bible that forbids it.

If there were more then one priest in the church, you would not be allowed to confess to your father. Even ask any priests/father of confession. It is not allowed unless there is a unique situation like the above one and that's where there maybe an exception.
  • Babakryillos wrote:

If there were more then one priest in the church, you would not be allowed to confess to your father

But why is not allowed?

• To tell you the truth, i am not sure... but i did have this conversation with a priest before and that was what he told me. I can ask though and let you know :)
  • my cousins confess to their dad, he is a priest, they are his children, i think that about sums it up

• are there more the one priest in that church
  • well... how can Abouna give u absolution over e-mail or phone?
  • you get it from ur local priest... and/or you might get it over the phone!
  • [quote author=BabaKyrillosVI link=topic=6417.msg84875#msg84875 date=1207018966]

are there more the one priest in that church

yes there are 2 others
  • i dont have a problem with confessing using msn etc. Using the video call is really useful especially if you do not frequently see your priest.
  • My FoC, when he gives me absolution, blows on my head as a symbol of the sins being taken off of my account. How can absolution be given any other way?

I know there are varying opinions from both clergy and laypeople regarding this subject, so I guess it depends upon the given conditions at the time.
  • Andrew, there is nothing wrong with that quote. It is not saying you aren't forgiven your sins, it's saying that you are AND you're also given a means of combating those sins in the future.
  • you have to read the whole thing and get the big picture that sentence is telling you... u can't always take everything word by word, and don't edit parts of it out.... no ofence or anything.....
  • [quote author=copt andrew link=topic=6417.msg88733#msg88733 date=1211925384]
    The part that says "confession does not just take away your sins" says that your sins stay. Which they don't.

God Bless,
    Copt Andrew

Hmm, I read 'does not JUST take your sins away, [but also] gives you powerful graces to avoid those sins in the future."
  • Oh my mistake. After reading it over several times I see it now.

Thanks,

God Bless,
    Copt Andrew
  • the bigggest KEY word in that sentence is                JUST... u take away ust and it is a wrong claim....    just here is a very sensetive word, if you know what  mean......    when u add ALSO, it makes the quote a lot more understandable
    so the quote would be : 

It's often forgotten that confession does not just take away your sins, It ALSO gives you powerful graces to avoid those sins in the future.
  • [quote author=copt andrew link=topic=6417.msg88736#msg88736 date=1211925941]
    Yes, It says that it ONLY gives you graces but it DOES NOT take away sins.
    Not to be mean. I love you.  ;D

God Bless,
    Copt Andrew

i think that is alittle bit weired.... what book is that???
  • It was an article on a website.
  • It is not allowed, you are only allowed to confess to someone then a parent,
    sorry i dont hav a reason but i noe there is one but i dont noe exactly i hav an idea of a reason but not sure kk