Comments

• [quote author=lsalsa link=topic=1722.msg65873#msg65873 date=1168114060]
    when st Anthony the great was tempted by the devils he said
    "why do you trouble me, i am weaker than you all"
    he was even humble before the devils

I really like this quote! Thanks...
  • Repent

· St. John Chrysostom ·

Let us not make ourselves unworthy of entrance into His Kingdom, for as long as we are in this world, even if we commit countless sins, it is possible to wash them all away by manifesting repentance for our offenses; but when we have departed to the other world, even if we display the most earnest repentance it will be of no avail. Let us then, I beg of you, recover our senses here and let us recognize our Master as He ought to be recognized.
  • i really like this one-

St. Augustine

"How much I wept at Your hymns and canticles, deeply moved by the voices of Your sweetly singing Church!"

• "It is by means of thoughts that the spirits of evil wage a secret war against the soul. For since the soul is invisible, these malicious powers naturally attack it invisibly. Both sides prepare their weapons, muster their forces, devise stratagems, clash in fearful battle, gain victories and suffer defeats. But this noetic warfare lacks one feature possessed by visible warfare: declaration of hostilities. Suddenly, with no warning, the enemy attacks the inmost heart, sets an ambush there, and kills the soul through sin."

+  St. Philotheos of Sinai.  +
  • 1 Peter 5:5-end

5Young men, in the same way be submissive to those who are older. All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because,
       "God opposes the proud
          but gives grace to the humble."[a] 6Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. 7Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

8Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. 9Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings.

10And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast. 11To him be the power for ever and ever. Amen.
  • This quote is like the many gems and pearls before us:

The practical person deals with people as they are not as they ought to be. He does not expect fanciful idealism in those with whom he deals, but he realizes they are human, like everybody else, with all the weaknesses and defects of the human nature.

-Pope Shenouda III
  • [quote author=KingofPeace link=topic=1722.msg76517#msg76517 date=1189045463]
    This quote is like the many gems and pearls before us:

The practical person deals with people as they are not as they ought to be. He does not expect fanciful idealism in those with whom he deals, but he realizes they are human, like everybody else, with all the weaknesses and defects of the human nature.

-Pope Shenouda III

WOW, really deep. Thank you for sharing.

After all, everything is not as it seems.
  • The Munificence of The Master

St. John Chrysostom

("Daily Readings from the Writings of St. John Chrysostom" - Day 5)

(Definition from dictionary.reference.com)
    mu·nif·i·cent    [myoo-nif-uh-suhnt] –adjective 1. extremely liberal in giving; very generous. 

"No sin is so great that it can conquer the munificence of The Master.  Even if one is a fornicator, or an adulterer... the power of the gift and the love of The Master are great enough to make all these sins disappear and to make the sinner shine more brightly than the rays of the sun...
      "And Christ Himself, addressing the whole human race, said: 'Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest...'
      "His invitation is one of kindess, His goodness is beyond description...
      And see whom He calls!  Those who have spent their strength in breaking the law, those are are burdened with their sins, those who can no longer lift up their heads, those who are filled with shame, those who can no longer speak out.  And why does He call them?  Not to demand an accounting, nor to hold court.  But why?  To relieve them of their pain, to take away their heavy burden.  For what could ever be a heavier burden than sin? ... I shall refresh you who are weighted down by sin, He says, and you who are bent down as if under a burden; I shall grant you remission of your sins.  Only come to Me!"
  • Who is Rich?  Who is Poor?

St. John Chrysostom

("Daily Readings from the Writings of St. John Chrysostom" - Day 63)

"Let us learn from this man not to call the rich lucky nor the poor unfortunate.  Rather, if we are to tell the truth, the rich man is not the one who has collected many possessions but the one who needs few possessions; and the poor man is not the one who has no possessions but the one who has many desires.  We ought to consider this the definition of poverty and wealth.  So if you see someone greedy for many things, you should consider him the poorest of all, even if he has acquired everyone's money.  If, on the other hand, you see someone with few needs, you should count him the richest of all, even if he has acquired nothing.  For we are accustomed to judge poverty and affluence by the disposition of the mind, not by the measure of one's substance.  Just as we would not call a person healthy who was always thirsty, even if he enjoyed abundance, even if he lived by rivers and springs (for what use is that luxuriance of water, when the thirst remains unquenchable?), let us do the same in the case of wealthy people: let us never consider those people healthy who are always yearning and thirsting after other people's property; let us not think that they enjoy any abundance.  For if one cannot control his own greed, even if he has appropriated everyone's property, how can he ever be affluent?  But those who are satisfied with what they have, and pleased with their own possessions, and do not have their eyes on the substance of others, even if they are the poorest of all, should be considered the richest of all.  For whoever has no need of others' property but is happy to be self-sufficient is the most affluent of all."
  • El Raheb el Samet..:
    El Sa3a Kaam delwak... :P

Abouna Andrew the Syrian:

Yekoun ma3aak, mayekoun 3aleek
  • I become increasingly fond of this from the great  Syriac Father, Jacob Bar Hebraeus (1226-1286):

When I had given much thought and pondered on the matter, I became convinced that these quarrels of Christians among themselves are not a matter of factual substance, but rather one of words and terms. For they all confess Christ Our Lord to be perfect God and perfect human, without any commingling, mixing, or confusion of the natures. This bipinnate 'likeness' ( Phil. 2:6-7) is termed by one party a 'nature', by another 'a hypostasis' and by yet another a 'person'. Thus I saw all the Christian communities, with their different Christological positions, as possessing a single common ground that is without any difference. Accordingly I totally eradicated any hatred from the depths of my heart, and I completely renounced disputing with anyone over confessional matters

Amen to that!

In Christ,

Anglian
  • myorthodoxchurch.com
  • Wisdom and simplicity of mind

Quote attributed to the late Abona Abd El-Messih the Ethiopian from Baramous monastery

"Simplicity of mind without wisdom is stupidity, wisdom without simplicity is satanic".

(from a series of sermons by Abona Armia Bolos titled "Between Wisdom and Ignorance" ) 
  • Difference between worldly and Christian monasticism

The Late Bishop Gregorius, the Bishop of Research and Coptic Studies (1919-2001)

For mankind to get in touch with the power of God that elevates him spiritually, he has to prepare a channel that allows him to receive freely without obstacles from the ultimate Source, God Himself. Silence, calmness, meditation and contemplation are the beginning of such connection, and these "skills" are not exclusive to Christianity, but are accessible to non-christians as well. It is the "enlightment" talked about by pagans, Sufis (muslims) or Hindus, and it is merely human in the sense that it stretches the limits of the human soul to its higher end.   

Yet the goal Christian monasticism, and Christianity as a whole, is not to achieve the natural, but to go beyond the natural, although it incorporates the natural means listed above as the first step towards the super-natural. This is done through the partaking in the holy sacraments, the work of the Holy Spirit and the grace of God  by which The Transcendent (God) bestows divine gifts on man that cannot be described by the recipient himself. Even the deeds and works of flesh mortification acquire a new dimension and are transformed beyond the human abilities. 

Therefore, the true Christian monk is elevated far above the pagan or Hindu monk, to a state in which such comparison even seems unnecessary. This is not possible through mere human struggle, although it cannot be set aside, but through the atonement of the blood of Christ and the talents of the Spirit. 

Source:

Translated from the arabic version of " The Encyclopedia of Abba Gregorius: Coptic monasticism and its prominent figures", edited by Mounir Attia, published by Abba Gregorius Bookstore, Anba Ruess monastery,Abbasia, Cairo Egypt. 

Comment:

This part is translated to the best of my ability, with minor rearrangement of the sentences to account for linguistic variances between Arabic and English.
  • Mant times i have spoken and regretted it but never have i regretted being silent.
    Anba Arsanius
  • Almsgiving

St. John Chrysostom

("Daily Readings from the Writings of St. John Chrysostom" - Day 96)

Keep the Lamps Bright by Almsgiving

In the beginning, indeed, the onrush of the grace of the Spirit, so rich and abundant, came from the goodness of God, but later the retaining of the gift came from their own virtue.  They manifested an exemplary life, and abundant wisdom, and great toils, and scorned the present life, and thought nothing of human things, but were above all.  Flying high like a kind of light-winged eagle, they reached to heaven itself by their deeds, and by these obtained possession of the ineffable grace of the Spirit.

Well, then, let us also imitate them, and let us not extinguish our lamps, but keep them bright by almsgiving.  It is by this means that the brightness of this fire is preserved.  Let us, then, put oil in our vessels as long as we are here.  It is not possible to buy it when we have taken our departure hence, or to receive it from any source other than the hands of the poor.  Let us, therefore, collect it from there in great abundance, that is, if we wish to enter in with the bridegroom; if we do not do this, we must remain outside the bridal chamber.  It is impossible, I repeat, even if we perform countless good works, to enter the portals of the kingdom without almsgiving.

Therefore, let us give an example of it very generously so that we may enjoy those ineffable blessings.  May it be that all of us shall obtain these, by the grace and mercy of Our Lord Jesus Christ, to whom be glory and power everywhere, now and always, and forever and ever. Amen.
  • Pope Kyrillos VI
    - "Don't be lazy to go to Church"
    - "Give us the spirit of kindness and love"

Pope Shenouda III
    - "Proclaim your weakness, and you will be more careful"
    - "No power can affect the comfort that the mighty Lord always grants us"
    - "The father of Confession is the person who can change your life for the better"
    - "Your appraisal of people's feelings makes you care for the way you deal with them and talk to them and for the kind of expressions you use"
    - "The word forgiveness is pleasant to the ear and the word of love is also agreeable to hear"

St. Ignatius
    - "Prayer is the return of the repentant to God"

St. John Tebaysy
    - "Fasting for the body is to be hungry for food, but fasting for the sould is to be hungry and thirsty for righteousness, to fast from evil and to remember sin"

Fr. John Kassian
    - "Let us offer to God our hearts consumed with love"
    - "God is Spirit, and accepts prayer only with the spirit"

St. Basil
    - "Prayer is being attached to God in all moments and situations of life. Then life becomes one prayer, withought interruption or disturbance"

St. John Asiouty
    - "Fasting is to our lust as water is to fire"

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • [quote author=Coptic Servent link=topic=1722.msg82409#msg82409 date=1203392311]
    Pope Kyrillos VI
    - "Don't be lazy to go to Church"
    - "Give us the spirit of kindness and love"

Pope Shenouda III
    - "Proclaim your weakness, and you will be more careful"
    - "No power can affect the comfort that the mighty Lord always grants us"
    - "The father of Confession is the person who can change your life for the better"
    - "Your appraisal of people's feelings makes you care for the way you deal with them and talk to them and for the kind of expressions you use"
    - "The word forgiveness is pleasant to the ear and the word of love is also agreeable to hear"

St. Ignatius
    - "Prayer is the return of the repentant to God"

St. John Tebaysy
    - "Fasting for the body is to be hungry for food, but fasting for the sould is to be hungry and thirsty for righteousness, to fast from evil and to remember sin"

Fr. John Kassian
    - "Let us offer to God our hearts consumed with love"
    - "God is Spirit, and accepts prayer only with the spirit"

St. Basil
    - "Prayer is being attached to God in all moments and situations of life. Then life becomes one prayer, withought interruption or disturbance"

St. John Asiouty
    - "Fasting is to our lust as water is to fire"

Forever,
    Coptic Servent

God loves each of us as if there were only one of us. 
                                                      ~St. Augustine
  • Endurance

H.H. Pope Shenouda III:

From a lecture on Christian persecution in Egypt

"I will stay silent that the Lord may speak. And brethren, He hears your silence."
  • A Prayer

Abouna Youstos

The Silent Monk

I am Yours, oh Lord.
    I burdened You with the Cross, and You carry me?
    I drove nails into Your hands, and You knock at the door of my heart?
    I wound You and watch You bleed, yet You heal me?
    I kill You, and You revive me!
    Who is kinder than You, Oh Lord?
    Who is kinder than You?
  • [quote author=Anastasi link=topic=1722.msg82415#msg82415 date=1203398366]
    A Prayer

Abouna Youstos

The Silent Monk

I am Yours, oh Lord.
    I burdened You with the Cross, and You carry me?
    I drove nails into Your hands, and You knock at the door of my heart?
    I wound You and watch You bleed, yet You heal me?
    I kill You, and You revive me!
    Who is kinder than You, Oh Lord?
    Who is kinder than You?

I started crying at that point when he was saying it, and it's not like he was just saying it out of no where, but through his emotions it means he really meant it!!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • The Wrath of God

St. Augustine

City of God, ch. 24

God destroys sinners not only in anger but also in compassion. For sinners are destroyed in two ways: either...the men themselves are punished for their sins, or, like the Ninevites, the men’s sins are destroyed by repentance. God’s prediction, therefore, was fulfilled: the wicked Nineveh was overthrown, and a good Nineveh built up. For its walls and houses remained standing; the city was overthrown in its depraved manners.
  • I did not have time to read all EIGHT pages so mine might be repeated, but my favorite is St. Arsanius' "I talked many times and regreted but about silence I've never regreted"

Makes me think before I talk!
  • [quote author=soldier for scetis link=topic=1722.msg81408#msg81408 date=1201154202]
    Mant times i have spoken and regretted it but never have i regretted being silent.
    Anba Arsanius

L
    ol thats the first one on this page just different translation
  • Fasting

St. John Chrysostom

What good is it if we abstain from eating birds and fish, but bite and devour our brothers?
  • i have read this before..

Dont rmember who said it thou...sorry

Remember your sins and God will forget them; Forget your sins and God will remember them.
  • Humility: Saint Macarius

As abba Macarius was returning to his cell from the marsh carrying palm-leaves, the devil met him with a sharp sickle and would have struck him but he could not. He cried out, "Great is the violence I suffer from you, Macarius, for when I want to hurt you, I cannot. But whatever you do, I do and more also. You fast now and then, but I am never refreshed by any food; you often keep vigil, but I never fall asleep. Only in one thing are you better than I am and I acknowledge that." Macarius said to him, "What is that?" and he replied, "It is because of your humility alone that I cannot overcome you."

• God had one son on earth without sin, but never one without suffering.

St Augustine
  • lol Third one but i thought this interesting

If two friends ask you to judge a dispute, don't accept, because you will lose one friend; on the other hand, if two strangers come with the same request, accept because you will gain one friend.
    Saint Augustine
  • Isolation

St. Arsenius the Great
    While still living in the palace, Abba Arsenius prayed to God in these words, 'Lord, lead me in the way of salvation.' And a voice came saying to him, 'Arsenius, flee from men and you will be saved." Having withdrawn to the solitary life he made the same prayer again and he heard a voice saying to him, 'Arsenius, flee, be silent, pray always, for these are the source of sinlessness.'

http://www.mystjohn.org/books/Sayings_of_Desert_Fathers.pdf