Gum

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Wen are in Jonah's fast and we can't eat till 6pm okay in the morning we brush our teeth and then after a few hours if we dont talk our breath is not nice so can we chew gum? Is gum a food.

Comments

• No i mean during the fasting of no food.Can we chew "fasting" gum?
  • umm, kinda tough issue. I really don't know what to say. However, I think you shouldn't chew gum if you really care about fasting. The ninivites not only fasted and prayed but they even slept on the floor to show how sorry they were. I think brushing your teeth in the morning should be enough.
  • well its just two more days of Jonah's fast.I can live.
  • I don't think the problem is more or less what we want to have, but more about what it is we need in order to interact with others without having bad breath. We are gaining much, undeniably, however, it's an interesting question that maybe we should ask a priest about.

Sleepy
  • [quote author=CopticChica21 link=topic=6242.msg82352#msg82352 date=1203377247]
    If what you care about in the fast is truly the gum, then you aren't fasting right... no offense. thnk beyong waht you can't have to waht you are gaining..

Who said I care about the gum I said my breath might smell bad because of no food throughout the day and no gum because of the fasting.
  • By chewing gum you break the fast its that simple, God doesn't care how bad your breath is
  • [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=6242.msg82382#msg82382 date=1203385319]
    By chewing gum you break the fast its that simple, God doesn't care how bad your breath is

i agree with jydeacon!!
  • yeah i'd have to agree with jydeacon.

its worth it though.. Bad breath vs communion
    yeah ill take the bad breath :P

minty freshness is meh compared to God's Holy Body and Blood.
  • you could alawys breath ur mouth, just to let air in and out! it won't smell or maybe not as bad. ;)

bentBABAyasooa`
  • wait.... we have joahna's fast going on rgt now???
  • If you can't stop thinking about your bad breath, then you are no longer fasting. One of the points of fasting is changing something we regularly do in our life and stop it it to discipline our bodies, not just by food but by thoughts as well, therefore if you should not worry if your breath smells or not and focus more on the spiritual side of the fast
  • [quote author=bentBABAyasooa` link=topic=6242.msg82401#msg82401 date=1203390494]
    wait.... we have joahna's fast going on rgt now???

ya where have u been. lol!!! just kidding, but ya................. it is today 2morrow and the day after.(mon., tues., wed.)
  • yeah....where have i been?!!! that is a very good question  ???

thanks for informing me.

bentBABAyasooa`
  • [quote author=bentBABAyasooa` link=topic=6242.msg82401#msg82401 date=1203390494]
    wait.... we have joahna's fast going on rgt now???

bentBABAyasooa`,
    It's ok people forget ya, I remembered last night, but I forgot in the morning, I guess I'll just start a clean fresh start tonight!!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • well yeah one more day I kind of gave up gum see today my friend had gum on her jacket so everyone took a piece and I asked her is it hers so she said no so i thought it was poisonous and spit it out.Btw today I couldn't fast the whole day bcuz i felt dizzy. Also we didn't steal the gum.
  • Why not use listerine spray or mouthwash?
  • At school use mouthwash the good breath isnt going to last very long bcuz I dont talk a lot I might be wrong I havent tried it .Dont think i dont brush my teeth.
  • [quote author=emidesu link=topic=6242.msg83394#msg83394 date=1204624134]
    Why not use listerine spray or mouthwash?

Loca4Christ is worried about 3 days fasting and did not worry about the Lent and its 55 days fasting. Any way this is a good question. But why do we have to think like pharisees who were picky against Jesus or think like the Jewish Christians who were very concerned about circumcision and troubled  St. Paul  .
    However, I find using listerine or mouth wash every couple of hours is a good solution. You can carry a small one in your pocket and use it when it is convenient.
  • I was just worried about Jonah's fast because it is enketa3ey No food or drinks I was seeing is gum considered a food?