Wearing shorts to church

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Quick Question
Is it wrong to wear shorts or three quarters to church for example if ur going sunday school and then stay for 3shya is it like haram to wear shorts in church

thnx
Abflab 91

Comments

• [quote author=abflab91 link=topic=6091.msg81052#msg81052 date=1200534947]
    Quick Question
    Is it wrong to wear shorts or three quarters to church for example if ur going sunday school and then stay for 3shya is it like haram to wear shorts in church

it's not "Haram" ...but it is wrong and inappropriate. it's the same as going to church in like tank tops or so on. if you know you'll go to church and latter have a liturgical service or a meeting, the least you could do is take a change of cloth with you to change.
  • Just like minagir said, it's not exactly "haram", but it's not the wisest choice to make. If there's something better or more suitable you have to wear, then why not? The way I think about it is this: if I have to question whether or not what I'm wearing is "ok", more likely than not, I should change into something else.

Sleepy
  • no no its not wrong at all... nor is it aggravating to the abouna who has to wear this long black galabeya....
  • See but the problem is in melbourne especially now in summer it gets really really hot and i have this problem were if i dont feel any air coming on to my body i get really really sweaty so when i wear pants it gets really hot so thats y i wear pants. and then sometimes i have to go into church and get things for abouna or the sunday school servants. loll i really need help anyone got any ideas so that i can avoid wearing shorts to church
  • Is there no air-conditioning in the church?

Sleepy
  • [quote author=abflab91 link=topic=6091.msg81058#msg81058 date=1200549943]
    See but the problem is in melbourne especially now in summer it gets really really hot and i have this problem were if i dont feel any air coming on to my body i get really really sweaty so when i wear pants it gets really hot so thats y i wear pants. and then sometimes i have to go into church and get things for abouna or the sunday school servants. loll i really need help anyone got any ideas so that i can avoid wearing shorts to church

well i guess there isn't any....look, just think about it.... You should wear what ever fitts what you're doing in church.    ::)
    so in things that are done in the physical buidling of the church and liturgical services, i think it's not fitting to wear shorts.
  • Yer there is but its wen were kikn back outside that im talkin.But it gets so hot in Melbourne that sometimes the air con makes no difference inside the church and the door is always open so all the hot air comes into the church and then i start sweatin especially wen its really stuffy
  • Well, honestly, I don't know what to tell you. I guess you have to take up your cross, grin, and bear it. A simple sacrifice for God.  :)

Sleepy
  • u have to respect the church!!!! just like wut minagir said........

[quote author=minagir link=topic=6091.msg81054#msg81054 date=1200541684]
    [quote author=abflab91 link=topic=6091.msg81052#msg81052 date=1200534947]
    Quick Question

it's not "Haram" ...but it is wrong and inappropriate. it's the same as going to church in like tank tops or so on. if you know you'll go to church and latter have a liturgical service or a meeting, the least you could do is take a change of cloth with you to change.
  • [quote author=KrazyLion link=topic=6091.msg81057#msg81057 date=1200549451]
    no no its not wrong at all... nor is it aggravating to the abouna who has to wear this long black galabeya....

your complaining about wearing pants to church when as krazy loin said- abouna has to wear a long black galabeya as well as something under that... i think you should appreciate your freedom of pants.
  • haha... well thank God I'm the type of person that would be wearing a jumper when its 40 degrees and it doesnt affect me  :)

hmm.. but back to your problem...

I think if your gonna have to bear with it and carry your cross... maybe i'll give you something that might help you appreciate what you wear

Monks that live in the desert in Egypt which  is the most hottest place, still have to wear a black galabia thats long sleeve all the time. At least your not in a desert.. you can change your clothes once you get home... and you dont have to wear black  ;)

Always look to the positives
    Hope this helps
    PS: I thought Melbourne doesn't get that hot... imagine if you were in Northern Territory :)... im from Sydney by the way hehe
  • Yea and black attracts the sun
  • its juss not appropiate. yahni i meen u wouldnt go to a wedding with shorts on would u?  so think of church as a big wedding.  your meeting someone who is graeter than the pope nd any pop star u would love to meet.  therefore Jesus awaits u with great hubleness nd lovend we should do the same out of perspective.

/
    mahraeel
    plzz p4m sister in Christ
  • It mostly depends on the type of pants, if they are short shorts, than I'm pretty sure that that's forbidden, persay, but if they are capris that are up to your knees, that's appropriate, it also depends on the intentions, if the temp is just really high, and you feel like wearing capris or bermudas or something to church go right ahead, but if it's because you want to impress somebody and what not, then don't plan on wearing it!!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • Personally, I'm not too fond of wearing shorts anywhere except at home or to the corner store, so I wear pants made of very light fabric like linen.  Long pants made of a breathable fabric keep the sun off you and can be cooler than shorts.

• Guys stop wasting time with waffle... it simple... abuna tells me off for this nearly every time he sees me.. so I got the Bible verse of him.

Isiah 6:2 "Above it stood seraphim; each one had six wings: with two he covered his face, with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew."

The Seraphim covered himself with his 4 wings from the glory of God. As such, when we are in the church praying infront of God, praying to heaven (the alter) we must cover ourselves.
    That is why you should wear pants in church as well as wear long sleve shirts (although some priests are lenient in this)

Doogie out!
  • The same questions are being asked over and over.

You know it is inappropriate under any circumstance.

Doogie's post is quite nice.

People think that if they ask the same question, somehow the answer will change.  Wear appropriate attire, clean hygiene, to see the Almighty.  It's very simple.

There are no exceptions.

There are those that think you have to allow a certain detraction from these standards in order to allow the kids to come to church.  That is plain stupid.

It is disgusting to see the kids coming to church with dirty clothes (not because of poverty) because of laziness and negligence.  Or how about the thug look, or the rapper look, or the vermin look.  You have got to be kidding me.  These are not standards to allow in any way shape or form.

This goes for sweat pants, jeans, or any other miserable attire.  Parents should be ashamed (as well as their kids) for coming to church like that or allowing it. The person asking these questions knows the answer but is trying to find wiggle room against their priest in their church by using liberal posts from this post as some kind of proof or reference.

Stop being childish, put on appropriate attire, and enjoy the Presence of God in His House.
  • It also has a cultural point to it. Most Egyptians wouldn't wear shorts anyway. We have got different situations here.
    + It is ok for a five year old to wear shorts but not older people.
    + It depends on the shorts themselves. If a five year old comes with his football shorts it is not ok or as everybody mantioned dirty ones. That is just disrespect.

I have another problem but concerning jeans.

+ My priest says that is ok to wear appropriate jeans to church. Other people like bishops don't allow it giving a reason that it was what workers only wear them. What do you think.
    + By me saying appropriate jeans, I mean jeans that aren't ripped or dirty or sweaty etc. The don't have anything bad on them.
    + Please not that if you are a teenager it is very very very hard to find other trousers that are your size because there isn't a demand for them.
    + I only wear them as trousers and not to show-off or anything.
    + I have special jeans for chuch only and I don't wear them elsewhere.
    What do you think?
    pray for me
  • Do you wear jeans at a wedding or a banquet?

Do you wear them at a White House reception?

Do you wear jeans at a job interview? (a real job I mean)

Relative to shorts, I am not talking about little kids.

Also in regard to the jeans (or similar clothing), who is going to sit there and inspect the people coming into the church as to what constitutes tight vs. showy to the genitalia, etc.

There are no such things as "special jeans".  It is just another situation of trying to make something "fit" by giving it that "special" label.  Just get respectable clothes and you do not have to worry about making things 'fit' for church.

Jews have a great saying, which I keep to heart:  "When in doubt...leave out."
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=6091.msg83413#msg83413 date=1204653649]
    There are no such things as "special jeans". 

When I said special jeans i mean ones that I only wear at church that are you know they don't have ripps in them or anything. They are not skin tight jeans, they are not revealing they are not dirty. They are standard design ones. The thing is nobody sees them as disrespectful but when a bishop for example comes he doesn't like them.
    [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=6091.msg83413#msg83413 date=1204653649]
    Also in regard to the jeans (or similar clothing), who is going to sit there and inspect the people coming into the church as to what constitutes tight vs. showy to the genitalia, etc.

It is obvious. If you are wearing tight clothes people notice them. They see that they are not fit for church. You know people in church can see and criticize. Anyway I have just asked and nobody has a problem with this. I have recently asked my parents many times and many many priests and they answered as long as they are appropriate, they aren't tight or anything.
    + Anyway I don't see anything wrong or have a doubt if it is wrong or not to wear jeans but I am just asking because everybody says you can wear them but you have still got the minority of people who disagree.
  • Lost,

I want you to appreciate what I am saying from a different angle.  If one allows a nice pair of "jeans", then there is a tendency to try to leverage and interpret 'another pair, by another person' as being the same.  In that scenario, someone would have to sit and police each pair of jeans that come in.

Why not help out the priest who is trying to maintain some decorum and not have to get into each person's face to conform to certain standards.  There is always going to be someone to say, well:  'I don't think it is too tight', 'I don't think it is too worn or torn.'

You seem clean like a clean cut person.  I think you can dig up a nice pair of pants/trousers in your closet and forego having to find a 'fit for the jeans'.  Be an example, so that the one's that do have the torn jeans, the worn out jeans, the smelly jeans, the tight jeans, will look to you as an example.  Maybe you will be a trendsetter.

I would also think that you have to abide by the bishop's opinion.  He outranks:  parents and the parish priest.  What the bishop says is for everyday not just when he is present for a given event at a church.