How do you learn your hymns?

2»

Comments

• Dear Minagir,

I have to defend you Mina, because I am now speaking from my own experience. I have to start by doing some confession, I live in a place where there is no Coptic Church, and the nearest one to the east from where I live is 8 hours driving and to the west about 7 hours. Abouna comes to us once a month for the Eucharist, so for the hungry one like me, I always thank our merciful Lord for the Live broadcast by St. Mark Coptic Church, Jersey City, New Jersey. I have never been in that church and I do not think I will ever be there, of course nothing impossible!! I can testify that seeing and listening to the deacons is heavenly, they are discipline, angelic and I can see that they are really praying while chanting. It is not my only word but many, many of the Copts who are sharing the same situation as I, not having church of their own, said the same thing and much more. I became familiar with almost every deacon, his role, place, and rank from his Tonya and Bardashil; without knowing any of their names. The three priests are real spiritual father and I love watching their sermons; and they are together with the deacons are heavenly spiritual experience especially during Vesper, Holy week and the two great Feasts.

ilovesaintmark,

My friend, you have been very harsh on Mina and his holy and lovely church, St. Mark, and you have been highly critical before in couple of posts. Humility is a gift and fruit of the Holy Spirit

By the way I have never seen Minagir before, but I like his posting. He, Hos Erof, ophadece, jydeacon and other are our hymn encyclopedia on tasbeha.org; and we should also be thankful for St. Mark Church for giving us this Forum to chat with each other as brother and sister in the love of our Lord Jesus Christ.     

• thanks for all your replies guys  :)
  • Hey Josephgabriel, getting back to your question, i find it helpful to make a "hazat" sheet where i would listen to a part of a hymn and i would mark down notes and "hazats" to help me perform the hymn correctly, because a single "haza" can mess you up. My main person is Ibrahim Ayad, he is very good and delivers the hymns perfectly, yes i know that he drags the hymn for way too long but thats for educational purposes. Also copticheritage.org has HCOC classes where they learn hard hymns accuratly from muallim Albair, he is also very good. These two are the main sources that help me learn hymns. The original site that contains the original hymns recorded by muallim mikhael elbatanouny is coptichymns.net, where Ibrahim Ayad learned his stuff from and muallim Faheem and the modern day muallimins.

God bless and and pray for me.
  • Dear all,
    Let me divert the course of this discussion a little bit, just to hear every one's opinions. I for one like Ibrahim Ayad, and in many cases I learn hymns from him, especially when my first choice source (HICS) haven't recorded certain hymns; but don't you think that Ibrahim Ayad distorts some melismata within the hymns, and adds "beauties" to the way he sings the hymns? To be honest, strictly speaking, I don't like that very much; although contradicting myself I may well enjoy listening to the hymns he sings in that way (but then it is not typical prayers through the hymns). I am waiting to hear your views all.
    God bless you all and pray for us a lot