Monk's Beards?

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
I was arguing with this other deacon about whether monks are allowed to cut their beards or not.  I said they are not allowed (I am not saying it is wrong or a sin, just not appropriate).  But he kept telling me to be open minded because a lot of monks and Bishops cut their beards to make them look nice.

I know this is kind of random, but what do you guys think about this?
And why do they grow their beards any way?

Comments

• Monks grow their beards because its a representation of Jesus, he never cut his beard or hair anyways! I think if the monk needs to cut their hair and has permission from someone higher than them to tell them what they can and cannot do, I think they should if it's uncontrollable!!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • [quote author=Zakhary link=topic=6290.msg82990#msg82990 date=1204076615]
    I was arguing with this other deacon about whether monks are allowed to cut their beards or not.  I said they are not allowed (I am not saying it is wrong or a sin, just not appropriate).  But he kept telling me to be open minded because a lot of monks and Bishops cut their beards to make them look nice.

I know this is kind of random, but what do you guys think about this?
    And why do they grow their beards any way?

well it was proved before that having beards, for priests and i guess some deacons, means that they give something up from he world. because shaving is defined as an act that almost all grown men do.

So if priests do that who live in the world, what would a monk who is in fact dead to the world do. i think it is most important and appropriate to do so for a monk who also most of the time keep their head hair.
  • Does any of you know if it is in the monastic oath that they shouldn't cut it? Because i thought there is something about that in there.
  • There was a previous topic about this, and i believe its called the nazerene oath if i'm not mistaken. i will try to find the topic
  • That would be awsome!! Thanks
  • Yes, if I remember correctly, it is because hair was the source of Samson's strength and so, generally, they do not cut their hair.
  • I know that monks buzz cuth their hair, but as for beards i don't know.
  • Yea, I know that some monks make a promise (like for example pope Kirollos and pope Shenouda) to keep their hair long as a form of sacrifice, but i thought that all other monks are required to cut off their hair. 
    Also by cut their beards (in the original question) I meant to trim it not shave it. 
    Just wanted to clarify ;D