What should I tell my FOC?

edited February 2008 in Faith Issues
I have a problem.. me and my brother fight.. because I can not keep my mouth shut.. I like to sing at home.. and he thinks I sing too much.. and because I talk to him about spiritual stuff and he doesn't want to listen.. though I am concerned for him... I just do not want to accept that he is a dog or swine who will tear me in pieces.. but this is what it seems to be coming to.. my golden cross chain was destroyed.. and he was very angry bashing everything I say and ready to come full force on me.. he says he thinks I think I am always right.. and sometimes he swears at me.. it may be related to me being against some of the things he does.. he says I force myself on others but I do not think I do... I say my opinion in concern for him... and btw this is not only him that seems to be provoked by me.. calling me a person who thinks I am always right.. other family members too.. it seems to me they are fulfilling the words "And a man's foes are those of his own household" but I can not say this for sure.. sometimes they are very good to me.. but it seems to me they are supporting me having a dead personality.. I can not lift my voice up.. I can't explain this situation well.. sometimes I think it is God punishing me for certain thoughts I had in the day.. letting me realise some of the errors I made in the day.. but it seems clearly that I am being persecuted without a cause maybe too.. should I let my FOC know that my brother is fighting with me and let him know this detail because it is very severe... And if I can not keep my mouth shut near my brother I do not know what will happen to me.. by the way he does not go to church and has not taken holy communion in a long time.. I sometimes think my priest is against me because he is the one who supported me being closer to my brother and talking more to people.. but this seems to be what I should avoid.. but I think my priest is right still..

Comments

• I can't say I experience the exact same as you, but I think we all can relate in that we hope for more "guidance" sometimes from our family, but could not get it.

Obviously, sister, this is very pressing to you, and I would discuss it with your FOC. I can see you are really torn and confused, and you sincerely want to understand yourself and your brother. Plus, if he is the priest of the parish, he might be able to help your brother too.

All the best though.
  • We spread Christianitry by our actions not our words. If you want your brother to be good again, you show him through your love for Christ. Love your enemies. Do good to those who persecute you for my name's sake. If he swears at you, say God forgive you. If he hits you, don't hit back. Just be like Christ.

Yes, you need to tell your father of confession. Literally tell him everything. Don't hide anything. BTW, it's good that your brother hasn't taken communion. The reason I say that is because St. Paul says that who takes communion unworthily, drinks damnation unto himself. Also, nobody should take communion while being mad at someone else. So on your part, you should have told Abouna a long time ago when this first started because like I said before, you should never take communion while mad at someone else.
  • Sorry to hear that your having trouble in your family, Im sure this isn't easy on you; and i can relate to some of the things that you are going through so i know how  you might be feeling.

[quote author=PopeKyrillos link=topic=6263.msg82738#msg82738 date=1203703982]
    We spread Christianitry by our actions not our words. If you want your brother to be good again, you show him through your love for Christ. Love your enemies. Do good to those who persecute you for my name's sake. If he swears at you, say God forgive you. If he hits you, don't hit back. Just be like Christ. 

This is amazing and if you can do this, your brother can and will change God Willing by seeing how you react. I know its not easy but again just remember that this is the chance you can bring your brother close to God! Also, you should definitely tell you FOC and he will be able to help/guide through this. Just make sure to tell him everything, the whole story, how you feel and so on...
    Lastly, PRAY to God and ask Him to help you, to stregnthen you and most importantly pray for your BROTHER that he may get through this phase and feel God's love and feel His touch.