Naming

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Why does the church change the name of a bishop and priests?? Even in the baptism mostly if the kid(s) that are being baptised don't have a name after a saint, the parents may choose to name their children after a saint, why is that?? Does it have anything to do with the history of the Coptic Church??

Forever,
Coptic Servent

Comments

• Hi Coptic Servant,

Anyone can correct me if Im wrong, but I believe that the reason Priest and Bishops are assigned new names is because that new name represents their "new" life. They forget about their old life and they begin their new one!
  • MeeMz,
    Thank you so much for answering me back about the priests and bishops, but since we are on the same topic, if you know the answer or if anybody knows the answer please someone tell me the reason why infants/children also get new names, does it also symbolize their new life with Jesus Christ??

Forever,
    Coptic Servent

• Hi again,

It's the same idea with infants when being baptised, that new name symbolizes their new life with Jesus Christ.
  • But why does it have to be renamed, why don't they just baptise them with the original name, you don't have to answer if you don't want to MeeMz, but if anybody would like to answer, please do so!!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent

• I actually asked my parents about this because its a very good question, and what they said to me was that when the child is being baptised, its like he's being born again so he/she is given a new name for that reason. Also, because not all names that given are after a saint, so this gives an opportunity for those children with regular names, to be named after a great saint.
    Everyone, please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
  • Thank you so much for that interpretation, it was elaborate, yet informational!! May God bless all your hearts!!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • since when do infants get new names when they're babtized..
    i've actr heard of that ..[?]
  • Dear copticcross3,
    They don't get "new" names, but they get Christian names; or rather in English expression "christening names". That of course is highlighted by the fact that children do have a new life with Jesus Christ, and mind you in the past children were only baptised after they reach a certain age, like 12ish, so it is again like giving new names to priests and bishops. The only difference being that I believe the priest changes their name altogether (and applies for a new ID card in Egypt), but for children they keep their worldly name as it is.
    God bless you all and pray for us a lot
  • I always thought of it like this, because technically they are dead from the world their old name is dead with them.  So when they are giving a new life (whether monastic or priesthood) they have to be given a new name.  Sometimes the new name is actually the same as the old and sometimes it is not.