Obesity & Anorexia Nervosa

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Well, as you all may know that we cannot harm our body, because it isn't ours, correct? That's because it isn't ours to start with, it's God's, and always will be, correct? If  I'm mistaken by anything I say in this thread please feel free to correct me!! Well, what do you think of people that eat excessively and what not, and people that just don't eat at all? What happens to them if they starve themselves? Is it like committing suicide, where they cannot have eternal life and cannot enter the Kingdom of Heaven?

Forever,
Coptic Servent

Comments

• The reasons suicide is considered so serious is because it shows that a person (assuming they're of sound mind) have fallen comlpetely into demonic despair and lost all hope in God. Essentially, suicide is a complete rejection of God, and one from which it is not possible to repent since it's the last thing you do.

I don't think this can be applied to those with eating disorders. Over-indulgance is of course a sin, as are eating disorders brought about by inferiority complexes (which are always self-centered, despite what might appear to be humility) and other such things. However, I don't see in these the total despair and loss of hope in God that characterises suicides.
  • i think that eating too much is gluttony and being anorexic is trying to fit in... gluttony is a sin. fitting in is going with the flow... hmm sounds like something we were told not to do
  • yes i herd it was a sin to be anoroxic on purpose becuz u r starving to death.  can u plzz elaborate more nd y exactly.  anyone becuz i cnat explain it quite rite.  there r other times were u can be very skinny and "called" anoroxic yet thats juss u rite?  so its not considered starving urself is it.  u juss have fast metabolism

/
    mahraeel
    plzz p4m sister in Christ
  • We must be careful- obesity and anorexia nervosa are psychological and genetic-driven disorders, and is much a perilous one as that which tempts us today. My loveless approach to others might stem from upbringing, society or the other guy, but there is a call for me to love. So as much to these people there is a call to healthy living. God will Judge, according to His mercy and justice. He knows the real curse of genetics and upbrining in dictating one's manner- and He can allow the person to overcome.

To say that these behaviours are sins, we need to understand that these terms were meant to be medical terminology, not moral conditions. Gluttony is not something that we can determine in reference to ourselves or the norm of society- God will be the judge of that. Anorexia nervosa, however, probably began as a superficial understanding of oneself. I had suffered partly from this, and I can relate. It begins sometimes with others demeaning you, and you unrashily driving yourself to be accepted, however, because your brain changes to perceive yourself different (continually pushing you to lose more weight), it becomes a spiraling downfall.

We should be careful when categorising it as a sin- are you meaning merely to say that it is not God's will or intent? Or are you doing so to have reason to look at them superiorly?
  • Thank you all for you wonderful responses, but what about people that are bulimic, it's basically like committing suicide, is that acceptable?? Since it's practically is like committing suicide, and you continuously are vomiting because you aren't able to help it, where do you end up??

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • anorexia nevousa and bulimia are mental illnesses...i dont see how u can link suicide to a mental illness.....both are unhealthy for the body and mind but suicide, the intent is to die due to a build of issues where as eating disorders are a desire to be thin....
  • [quote author=kerestina link=topic=6176.msg82081#msg82081 date=1202818311]
    anorexia nevousa and bulimia are mental illnesses...i dont see how u can link suicide to a mental illness.....both are unhealthy for the body and mind but suicide, the intent is to die due to a build of issues where as eating disorders are a desire to be thin....

As I have said that, it's "basically" like committing suicide, because since you think you aren't killing yourself "mentally", but "physically" as well since you aren't able to control yourself if you actually repetitively vomit purposely, with the intention that you won't die, but you are practically killing yourself, isn't it??

Forever,
    Coptic Servent