Sothis Ameen

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
Hola! I just wanted to ask if this is pronounced Soothis or Sotees. It is usually said sotees, or atleast when i have heard it, but the coptic spelling means it should be said at Sothis

Comments

• [quote author=Tishori link=topic=6148.msg81573#msg81573 date=1201646326]
    Hola! I just wanted to ask if this is pronounced Soothis or Sotees. It is usually said sotees, or atleast when i have heard it, but the coptic spelling means it should be said at Sothis

the right way, according to the coptic rules, it's Sothees. but according to tradition and recordings of HICS, they said Sotees.
  • thank you mina! but what now lol shouldnt we stick to the correct pronunciation, i've noticed this for a while but didn't know whether it was just a T or TH. my church says sotees but when we teach it to the littler kids i think im going to keep it sothees just to be correct. what are your opinions?

and again thanks mina=D
    God bless.
  • there are other words where we do that too like

gennethis gennetis

estavrothis estavrotis

I inquired about it as well...

Perhaps it's related to the other Coptic dialect in which theeta is teeta, a t instead of th...the Coptic used by Abouna Shenouda Maher
  • [quote author=Tishori link=topic=6148.msg81575#msg81575 date=1201648082]
    thank you mina! but what now lol shouldnt we stick to the correct pronunciation, i've noticed this for a while but didn't know whether it was just a T or TH. my church says sotees but when we teach it to the littler kids i think im going to keep it sothees just to be correct. what are your opinions?

and again thanks mina=D
    God bless.

teach it to the kids as Sotees. they're just kids. teach them somthing else will just confuse them. teach them what your church says....after that, when they are older, they understand from you or others why you're supposed to say it.

[quote author=user00 link=topic=6148.msg81576#msg81576 date=1201649360]
    gennethis gennetis

estavrothis estavrotis

Perhaps it's related to the other Coptic dialect in which theeta is teeta, a t instead of th...the Coptic used by Abouna Shenouda Maher

these words are not coptic at all....they are greek. but to my understnading the same thing happens. it's gennethis but we say gennetees
  • [quote author=user00 link=topic=6148.msg81576#msg81576 date=1201649360]
    there are other words where we do that too like

gennethis gennetis

estavrothis estavrotis

I inquired about it as well...

user00,
    I wouldn't necessarily say that we would say a t instead of a th, because for instance, whenever our Church sings [coptic]Agioc[/coptic], we say the th. So, I wouldn't say that throughout the Coptic dialect of the letter [coptic];[/coptic] (theta), that we usually use a [coptic]t[/coptic] instead. But [coptic]Cw;yc[/coptic], I have observed that problem in many many different Churches and recordings. So, yeah, I agree with [coptic]Cw;yc[/coptic], but not [coptic]genne;yc[/coptic] or [coptic]`ctaurw;yc[/coptic].
  • Dear all,
    I have to tell you that discussions about Coptic as a language and pronunciation have gone on and on for a long time. In any case, I agree with what has been said that Fr. Shenouda Maher's account of how Coptic pronunciation should be is the most correct one. The problem is that the modern Greek phonetics rules are applied to the Coptic language and that shouldn't be the case. On the basis of this, I think that sotis and gennetis are more correct rather than "sothis" or "gennethis".
    God bless you all and pray for me a lot
  • [quote author=aem581 link=topic=6148.msg81588#msg81588 date=1201673656]
    I wouldn't necessarily say that we would say a t instead of a th, because for instance, whenever our Church sings [coptic]Agioc[/coptic], we say the th. So, I wouldn't say that throughout the Coptic dialect of the letter [coptic];[/coptic] (theta), that we usually use a [coptic]t[/coptic] instead. But [coptic]Cw;yc[/coptic], I have observed that problem in many many different Churches and recordings. So, yeah, I agree with [coptic]Cw;yc[/coptic], but not [coptic]genne;yc[/coptic] or [coptic]`ctaurw;yc[/coptic].

The rules for for the [coptic];[/coptic] is it will be said as a "thee" at all times except if it comes after [coptic]s[/coptic] and [coptic]c[/coptic]. soooo. but again, i only said to say sotees because of the confussion that others will get.

[quote author=ophadece link=topic=6148.msg81594#msg81594 date=1201696891]
    Dear all,
    I have to tell you that discussions about Coptic as a language and pronunciation have gone on and on for a long time. In any case, I agree with what has been said that Fr. Shenouda Maher's account of how Coptic pronunciation should be is the most correct one. The problem is that the modern Greek phonetics rules are applied to the Coptic language and that shouldn't be the case. On the basis of this, I think that sotis and gennetis are more correct rather than "sothis" or "gennethis".
    God bless you all and pray for me a lot

well the only reason you'd think it is more correct is becausae it's a different  diolect. Fr. Shenodua Maher studies the Sehedic coptic, the original coptic. on the other hand, right now, all of our prayers are in Boheric Coptic (more of the modern one) that was reviwed and published by Pope Kerrolos Abo-el-Eslah, i think the V. (except the things that were allready written that way like Tinen and parts of the kiahk vespers)
    and that is understandable because the Sehedic, correct me if am wrong, tend to says theetas as tees....which is mostly done in arabic now, and which originated in the Se'eed to.
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=6148.msg81596#msg81596 date=1201714963]
    [quote author=aem581 link=topic=6148.msg81588#msg81588 date=1201673656]
    I wouldn't necessarily say that we would say a t instead of a th, because for instance, whenever our Church sings [coptic]Agioc[/coptic], we say the th. So, I wouldn't say that throughout the Coptic dialect of the letter [coptic];[/coptic] (theta), that we usually use a [coptic]t[/coptic] instead.

minagir, the letter t (tav) is also one of the letters that can change theeta to a t...
  • [quote author=user00 link=topic=6148.msg81598#msg81598 date=1201725964]
    minagir, the letter t (tav) is also one of the letters that can change theeta to a t...

i don't agree with that. i was never learned that....just heard about it soon.

perfect example: [coptic]}`at;wleb.[/coptic] we say ti-attholeb ensemne, not ti-attoleb.

other example: [coptic]et;ebiyout[/coptic], [coptic]et;ahem[/coptic]
  • http://coptichymns.net/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-8323-p-63808.html#63808

You guys don't need to post on both websites. Just post it on Coptichymns.net and you will get answers right away.
  • i guess i posted this first, i was wondering about it after a class on sunday for the little kids, and i posted it here.

then i actually did read that thread today and its really good also, thanks Amoussa for putting it up there. And thanks to everyone on here for your help=D God bless.