Theophany...Who is it?

edited January 2008 in Faith Issues
hello every1,

on the feast of the Theophany as we all know is wen the Lord Jesus Christ was baptised in the Jorden..and we all know the part "And suddenly a voice came from heaven saying "This is my beloved Son in whom i am well pleased" Matthew 3:17

who said this phrase?..the Father? or the Son?

i am confused b/c it says "this is my beloved SON" ..from there it sounds like the father is saying that..however it is known that the Father does not speak and it is the Son that speaks

like we believe in the begining in the creation..wen God spoke ..we believe that it was  Jesus..since Jesus is the incarnate Word (the Logos)

also in John chapter one it says 'in the begining was THE word and the word was WITH God and the word IS God." (Word = God) then it continues to state my previous point about how creation was possible thro Jesus Christ the Son "He was in the begining with God. All things were made thro Him and without Him nothing was made that was made.  in Him was life and the life was the light of men."

pls if i am unclear and u need more clarification pls tell me..i will be more than happy to try to explain further..
thank u in advance

pls keep my weakness in ur prayers
-your sister in Christ

Comments

• first, the verse is this:

Mark 1:11
    Then a voice came from heaven, "You are My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased."

having "My" that way, it refers to the Father, or God in general. yes Jesus is the word of the Father but that doesn't mean that the Father doesn't speak. in the bible we have many "LORD", refering to Yahwa which refers to God, the Father.
  • Hi Minagir,
    thanx for that i modified the post to the verse i was talking about(their essentially the same just different books and wording...)

[quote author=minagir link=topic=6130.msg81421#msg81421 date=1201194449]
    in the bible we have many "LORD", refering to Yahwa which refers to God, the Father.

forgive me but can u pls elaborate further on this statement if u dont mind..i understand that the Bible refers to the Father..however, i have never heard that the Father speaks..i have always known that the Son was the word

thank u soo much

-your sister in Christ
  • [quote author=perfectsinner link=topic=6130.msg81426#msg81426 date=1201212302]
    Hi Minagir,
    thanx for that i modified the post to the verse i was talking about(their essentially the same just different books and wording...)

[quote author=minagir link=topic=6130.msg81421#msg81421 date=1201194449]
    in the bible we have many "LORD", refering to Yahwa which refers to God, the Father.

forgive me but can u pls elaborate further on this statement if u dont mind..i understand that the Bible refers to the Father..however, i have never heard that the Father speaks..i have always known that the Son was the word

thank u soo much

-your sister in Christ

Jesus was the Word of God coming to the world. that doesn't not limit God the Father to speak. God the Father was the One who spoke to Mosses on the mount. many time the Lord speaks tot he people but that doesn't limit the Father. and like you said since the Son was there, and the Spirit was there, who else would it be.....who else will say this is MY SON. consider logic. GOD, with all what we know about HIM, fake His voice.....i don't think so.
  • Hi Minagir

thank u soo much for the clarification.

-ur sister in Christ
  • from the trinity, the Father was the one speaking, becuase the Holy Spirit was descending upon Jesus like a dove and Jesus was in the waters. Jesus couldn't have been saying that to himself. Jesus' baptism was really important. The Trinity was manifested within that moment if you think about it...