Symbols of Christmas!!!???

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
[center] ;D Hey do u guys know why the the type of Christmas tree we use and the red decorations are symbols for christmas ??? !!!???  ;D I know i just like to ask u guys first ;D !!!!  ;) Then i right wut i learned before :D !!!!! ok ??? !!??  :) Well do u know u guys ??? !!??[/center]

Comments

• well i know why we use that type of tree. i think it's because that is always green which is a symbol to life, just like Jesus came to give us life
    Correct me if I am wrong.
  • [quote author=abkarino22 link=topic=6058.msg80652#msg80652 date=1198779678]
    well i know why we use that type of tree. i think it's because that is always green which is a symbol to life, just like Jesus came to give us life

[center][glow=green,2,300]I didn't think of it that way, but i learned that the color never leaves the tree like God will never leave us!!!!!! Do u know what i mean!!??[/glow][/center]
  • ya and nice interpretation
    What about the Red Decorations?
  • [quote author=abkarino22 link=topic=6058.msg80655#msg80655 date=1198782678]
    ya and nice interpretation
    What about the Red Decorations?

[move][glow=red,2,300]Can u GUESS!!!!!!!??????[/glow][/move]
  • we use green because for the reasons you both said but also because whenever a tree is well alive, it's leaves are green, also god provides the sun which allows the tree to live. Red is the symbol of the blood of the sacrifice which is how we received salvation. Christmas is the start of the story of salvation, hence green+red=christmas the beginning of the salvation of the human race.
  • [quote author=PopeKyrillos link=topic=6058.msg80658#msg80658 date=1198783054]
    we use green because for the reasons you both said but also because whenever a tree is well alive, it's leaves are green, also god provides the sun which allows the tree to live. Red is the symbol of the blood of the sacrifice which is how we received salvation. Christmas is the start of the story of salvation, hence green+red=christmas the beginning of the salvation of the human race.

u r right!!!! the red is the symbol of the blood of the sacrifice which is how we received salvation.
  • I had always been told that Luther was the first person to bring a decorated tree inside to celebrate Christmas. It would be nice if that was not the case! When did the Copts start the custom?

In peace,

Anglian
  • Happy New Year and Merry Christmas to all  :D

Dear Anglian, I don't know exactly when but it is something relatively recent (I may be wrong). I think one may borrow positive festivity aspects as long as these are harmless, help Christians to be closer BUT must not divert us into forgetting the main deep religious significance: Christmas is about the Nativity of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

The tree: adding few ideas to all your nice replies above, I suppose it also represents the wood of the Cross and it also reminds us of the temptation at the tree of the knowledge of good and evil and the original sin. It is also a symbol of Hope (full with toys and gifts as it should be!) and it also reminds us of the guarded Tree of Life. It is usually chosen from robust trees that withstand ice cold winter, a symbol of the coming spring time, etc.

May the Lord bless us all and grant us all a green year (as many greet locally)

GBU
  • tree- the burning bush
    lights- the fire

tree is never burned through out the fire.
  • [quote author=His Servant link=topic=6058.msg80753#msg80753 date=1199400985]
    tree- the burning bush
    lights- the fire

tree is never burned through out the fire.

ok!!! but it has to be related to christmas, not the burning bush.
  • [quote author=Biscutt link=topic=6058.msg80786#msg80786 date=1199422835]

The Church Fathers all see the Burning Bush as a symbol of the Virgin Mary carrying God (divinity=fire) and also how She gave birth while Her virginity remained intact.

So it has everything to do with Christmas.
  • [quote author=Orthodox11 link=topic=6058.msg80797#msg80797 date=1199473380]
    [quote author=Biscutt link=topic=6058.msg80786#msg80786 date=1199422835]

ya i learned that too!!

The Church Fathers all see the Burning Bush as a symbol of the Virgin Mary carrying God (divinity=fire) and also how She gave birth while Her virginity remained intact.

So it has everything to do with Christmas.
  • The Church Fathers all see the Burning Bush as a symbol of the Virgin Mary carrying God (divinity=fire) and also how She gave birth while Her virginity remained intact.

exactly, thats why we celebrate KIAHK right before.

if it was not for St. Mary, then there would never be Christamas

btw---[glow=red,2,300]MERRY [/glow] [glow=red,2,300]CHRISTMAS[/glow] : ]
  • Merry Christmas!

By the way, you used red for Merry and the the highlighter of the greeting...lol.
  • I think I know why we have a tree and lights. I waz watching Aghapy and it was on some cartoon show I dont remember.Well anyways There was this girl and her dad.Her dad went outside to cut down a tree for firewood and his daughter told him to come before dark.The girl waited and waited till it was pitch black then she decided to take a lantern and put it outside for her dad so he can know the way back. Btw her dad was lost but she didn't know.Her dad came safe. I hope it makes sense and I don't know if its true.
  • [quote author=mannan link=topic=6058.msg80974#msg80974 date=1200238727]
    I think I know why we have a tree and lights. I waz watching Aghapy and it was on some cartoon show I dont remember.Well anyways There was this girl and her dad.Her dad went outside to cut down a tree for firewood and his daughter told him to come before dark.The girl waited and waited till it was pitch black then she decided to take a lantern and put it outside for her dad so he can know the way back. Btw her dad was lost but she didn't know.Her dad came safe. I hope it makes sense and I don't know if its true.

I've never heard about that be4 but if anyone knows that it is true plz tell us!!! I would love to know!!!