Be watchful..

edited December 2007 in Faith Issues
I know people say consider rather the end of your life than the end of the world be ready.. now to be honest I am in my twenties.. and I do not believe I will die soon.. because I am trying to repent and have made some progress but I do not think God will take me without giving me more chances to do good deeds and guiding me more.. Is He angry with me that much? (but I know our God is love)  Didn't St Anthony tell himself he may die today.. everyday.. or many days? (this way he would not dare to sin) how can we do this? wouldn't this make you dislike God atleast every morning.. thinking God does not want you to enjoy your life today (ofcourse you will enjoy life if you enjoy God but you are not to even enjoy the sun or any innocent fun like board games)

(David said Your loving kindness is better than life... therefore my lips shall praise You and my soul shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness.." maybe the order I said it is wrong.. I don't know exacly what he meant)

. you should rather live in extreme penitence.. maybe eat nothing and do 100000 pushups.. God have mercy.. but I suffer to do 20.. also do not dare to move your body one inch..  okay I am exagerrating.. and I just realised this is kind of the hard life of the monk..  but I may not have all the facts.. I think they might of enjoyed life.. God said in prosperity be joyful..  I don't know what to say else.......

Comments

• abouna's daughter told us in a youth meeting that God  takes u in the best time of ur life, wen u r most ready...i have 2 stories a s proof but i have to go now so mayb later if u wanna hear them
  • Dear mikeforjesus,
    I totally agree with jsangel_23. He only picks you at your utmost peak. Rare cases are when he takes a person when they are not ready, for a certain reason.

Pray for me,

Coptic Youth.
  • sometimes we think that oh im young i don't think im going to die soon, you would be surprise on how many people said that and departed in a very young age, younger than 20 even, unless you are God, you don't know when He is going to take you. I know a few people who have departed around 17- 28 which is very young, it doesn't have to be being old that you depart, it can be because of a car accident or any other type of accident, honestly almost anything can kill you.

Be careful, the time can come when you least expect it, then God will ask you what you have done. When you tell Him I'm not ready, He will tell you, go to my left please, where were you when I was sick? Where were you when I needed you the most? Life is almost nothing, eternity, never ends.
  • God takes us at the best possible moment in our lives. However. we don't know when that moment is for us. It may be 80 years from today, a year, maybe even tomorrow. It is this uncertainty that causes us to be watchful and vigilant in our prayers and fasting. God always gives us more chances to right our wrongs and to earn more good deeds in heaven, but we never know when our last chance is going to be which is why we shouldn't take it lightly.

Sleepymusician
  • Thankyou.. scary.. may God make us watchful then..

did He not say

"If two of you agree on anything it will be done for (us) by My Father in heaven" "Where two or three are gathered in My name there am I in the midst of them" ?

therefore let us all pray that we may be watchful and alert.
  • He takes us in the best of times? Where in the world is that evidence!

The evidence is actually in the contrary; for instance consider the Parable of the Ten Virgins (Matt 25:1-13): The bridegroom came late, after all their supplies were burned. And thus the unprepared virgins were banished.

Instead we have a dire warning:
    "42"Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come. 43But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into. 44So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him.

45"Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom the master has put in charge of the servants in his household to give them their food at the proper time? 46It will be good for that servant whose master finds him doing so when he returns. 47I tell you the truth, he will put him in charge of all his possessions. 48But suppose that servant is wicked and says to himself, 'My master is staying away a long time,' 49and he then begins to beat his fellow servants and to eat and drink with drunkards. 50The master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he is not aware of. 51He will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the hypocrites, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth." (Matt 24)

I think it is counter productive to count on His mercy and blatantly disregard His justice. We should strive to be prudent and ask God for mercy, and not hope that since yesterday you were a saint that such a time will come again, and you can take it easy.

• Yes I believe that is true. Thankyou for your beneficial words and scripture and explanation. "Let the righteous stike me, it is kindness, let him reprove me, it is like oil on the head; don't let my head refuse it"  said the psalmist
    I wonder why it is like oil though

So you are righteous now in that your words are true.. may you also live a righteous life my friend.

May we always remember these truths. I hope it is hard not to lose this truth.

But it is very hard for me sometimes to accept that He comes at an hour we do not expect.. when we say peace and safety then sudden destruction comes.. like labor pangs on a pregnant woman.  Do you think we might think God is at peace with us and He is not? THAT IS HORRIBLE!

• But sleepymusician explains well that He does take us at the best time but it does not contradict what you clay said I think.

"God takes us at the best possible moment in our lives. However. we don't know when that moment is for us. It may be 80 years from today, a year, maybe even tomorrow. It is this uncertainty that causes us to be watchful and vigilant in our prayers and fasting. God always gives us more chances to right our wrongs and to earn more good deeds in heaven, but we never know when our last chance is going to be which is why we shouldn't take it lightly.

Sleepymusician
    "

• http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=revelation 3:1-6;&version=50;

Revelation 3:1-6

Revelation 3:1-6 (New King James Version)
    New King James Version (NKJV)

Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc.
    [NKJV at Thomas Nelson] [Thomas Nelson, Inc.]

Revelation 3
    The Dead Church
    1 “And to the angel of the church in Sardis write,
    ‘These things says He who has the seven Spirits of God and the seven stars: “I know your works, that you have a name that you are alive, but you are dead. 2 Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die, for I have not found your works perfect before God.[a] 3 Remember therefore how you have received and heard; hold fast and repent. Therefore if you will not watch, I will come upon you as a thief, and you will not know what hour I will come upon you. 4 You[b] have a few names even in Sardis who have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with Me in white, for they are worthy. 5 He who overcomes shall be clothed in white garments, and I will not blot out his name from the Book of Life; but I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels.
    6 “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.”’

This explains clearly that Jesus could come as a thief upon me and us very soon.. not only at His second coming. Is that true?