Statues and Pictures

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
what do u think about all those pictures and statuses ppl creat or draw or make of Jesus or other prophets?
Do u think the bible allow it? because once my African American friend said to me why would they draw or make a status of Jesus as he was a white person? and the other way around when it comes to white peeps.

muslims never do that, they go like we dont even know how they look like why would we do something we not sure of.

so what do u think?

Comments

• The pictures or statues are simply to help us create a better image in our minds. You notice in any pictures or statues of Jesus he is suffering and in pain. That helps us to keep in mind the torture and anguish he endured for our sake. Keep in mind that Muslims think that kissing, touching, ect. a picture is a form of idolization. These pictures and/or statues are not to be worshiped; simply looked at and admired.
    As for your African American friend, although nobody living now has seen Jesus in the flesh, I highly doubt he was as dark as your friend may believe. People in the north eastern part of Africa do not have a skin complexion even remotely similar to those from other parts of Africa. Skin color is dependent solely upon ones genotype. Black people are born black. People from Egypt, Israel, and the surrounding areas are born white, but tanned from the sun. So it is possible that Jesus may have had slightly darkened skin, but not nearly as dark as someone from Sudan for example. Anyway, I don’t think that’s relevant to the discussion, that’s a touchy subject to begin with so just appease her. As I always say, get a second opinion, I don’t know much.
    -Mark
  • Yeah, ur right, but i think people are over doing it these days.
  • Actually in the first council on Nicea, one of the topics of the agenda was that of the statues and images in churches. As we all know, the Bible teaches us not to make any foreign for means of worship. By foregin I beleive Anba David said that meant 3D. However image are used as means of veneration. "As this is thy will Oh Lord that we remember all the saints who have pleased You since the begining" (comemeration of the Saints).
    The actuall dicison did not come until the 2nd council of Nicea.
    To make our confession short, we keep unchanged all the ecclesiastical traditions handed down to us, whether in writing or verbally, one of which is the making of pictorial representations, agreeable to the history of the preaching of the Gospel, a tradition useful in many respects, but especially in this, that so the incarnation of the Word of God is shown forth as real and not merely phantastic, for these have mutual indications and without doubt have also mutual significations.

• actually about the white and black thing i have seen jesus as asian and indian and all that kinda stuff and someone once told me these pictures are done to represent like if you are asian and u have a pic of jesus looking asian its meant to be like hes your personal saviour

aghape,
    chris
  • Icons also give send a message about that perons' life. It kinda like discribing an event in the form of a picture. Setting an example, not what the person look like but what he did. For example, take the Icon on the first page of this site of the three young children. It pictures them in the middle of the fire to kinda tell the story or remind us of thier faith as a form of encourgment.
    I agree with Chris about making Jesus a more personal savior or giving Him an attribute close to ours. No one knows what He really looked like but if it helps me that He has a dark complection, I don't see why not? As long as its meant to bring me closer to Him. Then the Icon has served its purpose.
  • Icons also give send a message about that person’s life. It kind of like describing an event in the form of a picture. Setting an example, not what the person look like but what he did.

^ Coptic boy, i agree with this statement 100%...pictures and statues are there as a reminder of an experience that is precious to us- Salvation for that matter....ultimately, who cares about the colour of Jesus' skin, his eye colour, or his height...the truth is, He died for you and I and its the memory of His Salvation that we live by, not His looks.
    This shouldn’t be the focus of our faith because we are faithful when we believe without seeing; seeing Jesus' countenance or knowing what He looked like is not relevant towards our spiritual life. It really doesn’t benefit us to know… knowing too little is often a good thing so as to avoid a feeling of doubt or uncertainty about your faith…I actually like the fact that Christ’s appearance is a bit of a mystery to us, that way, we are more concerned with His ministry and His good works as opposed to being busy with His appearance.
    And when you look at all of the pictures of Christ, what do you notice? There is a symbolic object that represents something…this is used so that it gives the picture more meaning, more depth….otherwise, its just a plain picture that has no value. ALL pictures with Christ, as you will notice, carry a meaning/lesson/moral behind them…a picture is worth a thousand words… but a picture with Jesus is perfect for words…it captures you…it has you rapt in its account…

I hope I helped in giving you some insight on this topic…take care GB++
  • "Blessed are those who have seen without believing, for they shall receive the kingdom of heaven"

This is what we should keep in mind when thinking about that subject. You also have to remember that that same verse has also made us look beyond physical signs like apparitions and miracles to structurize our faith in God. So many miracles and apparitions are happening around the world, but we know that some could be real (which is a great blessing) and others could be fake (especially this day and age, with all these graphics!). The point is that if you don't base your faith on physical miracles, why base your faith on physical looks? Accept Jesus for what he has done for you and who He is, because He has accepted us for who we are...sinners.