Religious Pluralism

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Anybody have apologetic links to the topic? I already viewed the ppt on suscopts however I am looking to go in greater detail.

Thanks in advance,
Pray for me

Comments

• Dear Duck,

I am curious as to what you want here?

Our ecclesiology is that there is One Church, and that there is one Saviour.

In Christ,

Anglian
  • Maybe a refutation of the belief in Religious Pluralism, where it is defined as:

"the worldview that one's religion is not the sole and exclusive source of truth, and thus recognizes that some level of truth and value exists in at least some other religions." (From Wiki)

If you have any good reads on the topic, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
  • Dear Duck,

Well, that is up there with 'proving' God exists in the sense that people who hold that view are unlikely to be convinced by arguments to the contrary.

The modern belief in relativism stems from the European Enlightenment of the eighteenth century which put forth the view that religion was effectively a fiction dating from a pre-scientific age and that since it could not be proven, it should be disregarded. During the nineteenth and twentieth centuries such a view became common in Europe.

In part the divisions within Christianity are part of the reason for the development of this belief. The protestant Churches, naturally, put forward the view that individuals could discern what was and was not 'truth' and that there was not need for any doctrine of 'one Church'; you can see why they would take that line. But, of course, it left the way open for others to argue from an atheistic point of view that just as there could be no single Church, so too could there not be a single true religion.

There are two wonderful pieces by Bishop Angaelos at:
    http://www.coptichymns.net/module-library-viewpub-tid-1-pid-602.html and
    http://www.coptichymns.net/module-library-viewpub-tid-1-pid-605.html

which provide an excellent outline of why Orthodoxy would reject this modern idea.

I am sure others here have more sources for you.

In Christ,

Anglian
  • [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

[quote author=duck link=topic=5904.msg79672#msg79672 date=1196108477]
    Maybe a refutation of the belief in Religious Pluralism, where it is defined as:

"the worldview that one's religion is not the sole and exclusive source of truth, and thus recognizes that some level of truth and value exists in at least some other religions." (From Wiki)

If you have any good reads on the topic, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

I can accept a part of the above definition, specifically that 'some level of truth and value exists in at least some (if not all) other religions'.  However, that being said, the fullness of truth, as revealed to us by God, can only be found in Christianity, because the Logos of God, who is THE TRUTH, took flesh, was incarnate, and revealed the mystery of Himself to us.